Hello from Bentley in Canada

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

crazybirdlady

Hello from Bentley in Canada

Post by crazybirdlady »

Hello, just a quick introduction. I recently adopted Bentley, a 2 year old male irn. I found him on kijiji (like craigslist for those unfamiliar) and his previous owner was pretty desperate to get rid of him. This person recently got a new job and if he didn't adopt Bentley out, was going to leave him in his tiny apartment alone for 2 weeks at a time, while he was away working and hope that he could fend for himself! Anyway, the poor guy has been tossed around to 4 different owners before finding his way to me. He was housed in a tiny rusty cage and was rarely let out. I have had him for about 3 months now, and this will be his last home. He has some behavior issues, which is understandable, biting being one of them, but I hope to learn a lot from this forum. He now has his freedom during the day and hangs out with 9 cockatiels, has a massive new cage, and gets all the treats and attention that he can handle. I am constantly astounded at how intellegent he is, and I hope he will come around eventually with time and patience.
TiffandKari

Re: Hello from Bentley in Canada

Post by TiffandKari »

Hello and welcome :D
You sound so devoted to Bentley, exactly what he needs :D His life sounds like it has changed for the better so if you keep up the good work he will come around, especially being with a more responsible and experienced owner :D espeically with 9 cockatiels! :lol:
There are lots of people on the forum who know a lot about birds and I'm sure this forum will help, it's helping me a lot as I'm new to owning an IRN :)
Tiff and Kari

AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Hallo from Birmingham England, welcome

From Billie and AJPeter
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

Welcome, very nice of you to give Bentley a good home. And such lovely company with 9 cockatiels, and a large cage.

Keep up the good work, and you will be rewarded soon.

Ash
crazybirdlady

Post by crazybirdlady »

Thank you all from Bentley and I for the warm welcome!
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi. Congratulations on bringing home your new friend. I'm sure he's going to amaze you. One small word of caution, though; some people have had the experience of not caging their birds during the day and coming to regret it as the bird develops anti-cage behaviours. It might be a better plan to cage him intermittently during the day, so you get the happy from leaving him out, but he gets the benefit of retaining his living in a cage skill. I also have a second hand bird, and I understand the urge to make up for all the ills in his past. If you lean too far over the other way, however, you may overcompensate and run into difficulty.
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Yes MissK l used to challenge people who locked their birds in all day but now l have seen Billie exploring on the floor and the other day she was under her cage among the electrical wiring, l had to get her out what if she went down there when my back was turned? No best to keep them locked up for their own safety.