New Training Tools

Moderator: Mods

Skyes_crew

New Training Tools

Post by Skyes_crew »

I don't know if anyone has seen this yet....I found it very interesting and might give it a go myself :D

https://goodbirdinc.infusionsoft.com/ap ... 3321238e6f
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

pattiB

Re: New Training Tools

Post by pattiB »

I jut ordered some this morning. Got an email and it looks quite interesting. Can't wait to try. They were not expensive at all. I bought 2 sets. I just hope Gracie doesn't want to chew them instead of stand on them. That will be my challenge I think.
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

These "stations" are a lot like pointers. I think they are great. You could use the tip of a pen, drum stick, or other pointing device to lead the bird where you want it. I love it when people refine their craft. Makes taming so much more fun and efficient. I'm using a pointer to help Osiris hang upside down. Devri and Archimedes use pointers to guide them where I want them. :)

Best Wishes,

IMRAN-C
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I've always used vocal commands...but I like this idea of training multiple birds at one time using colored circles.

AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Did any one try out the link video's on goodbirdinc? One how to pet your bird was very interesting and how to stop your bird from screamiing l could not open, and how to potty train your bird confirms what l did with Billie.
AJPeter
pattiB

Post by pattiB »

Today the training station discs got here. I took the Yellow one out while we had Gracie out for the eve. It took her a whole 3/4 minutes to figure out that I wanted her to step on the Yellow disc. It was SO MUCH FUN! We have a HUGE island in the kitchen. I took the yellow disc and put it "here" and had her step on, click, treat. Then I'd walk around to the other side and she would come running to get back on it. She'd step on, click, treat. And on and on. She had so much fun. Tomorrow I'll add a second disc and have her go back and forth. She really seemed to love the new stuff. The only thing is it didn't come with any kind of training instructions. I hope I taught her correct.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

That's odd that it didn't have an instructional DVD...maybe it's an interpretational training method. Train according to your desired outcome etc. let us know how it goes. A video is always welcome :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

What are they made from? With Sapphires tendency to beak anything she comes into contact with, I'd be nervous that she'd eat it in one quick bite!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

That was my reason for not spending the money. I can make my own chew toys lol :lol:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Maybe I can train her to station on beer coasters... That would be cheap to replace if she munches them. I bet it'd also get me free drinks if I took her to a pub :mrgreen:
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

oh yes! coasters! Such a great idea. I have got to try that. but I have to get them used to them first or else my birds will chew them up. ha ha ha

Best wishes, IMRAN-C
pattiB

Post by pattiB »

She was very interested in testing it with her beak to begin with but once we started with the "step on, click, treat" she totally lost interest in seeing what it tasted like :D It seems they are made of what a rubber jar opener is made of. It just has the FFAT logo on it. BarbarasFFAT.com
Video and pics to come later.
pattiB

Post by pattiB »

Tonight we did the Yellow a few times. Then I introduced her to the Blue. Then both in her sight. After a few times of asking her onto the Yellow, then Blue, then Yellow, I took the target stick away and asked her onto the Yellow with just my voice. AND SHE WENT TO IT! Not sure if it was just an accident or she really understood the word Yellow. Hope so. Still not sure if I'm training the stations right. I move them around on the kitchen island, act a little silly, pretend it's a game and she just runs her "fluffy butt" to the little station pads. I could use some input on training with these if anyone has any.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Patti, it sounds like your training is going well, I wouldn't change something that is working well. Training is always best with no pressure and when you are both having fun.
Does Barbara's YouTube channel have any tips on stationing?

Btw Barbara's ffat makes me laugh every time I hear it. Maybe I should buy some parrot coasters after all!