White glove training

Moderator: Mods

Harrysmums

White glove training

Post by Harrysmums »

Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been covered did a quick search didn't find anything

My non tame IRN has really improved with me wearing white gloves when I have to go into the cage for food and water changes..

Have tried with and without the white gloves and he really is a lot calmer with them on!

Wanted to know other people's experience and also give other people who have not heard of it a way to calm there birds down!

Hope everyone's 2014 is going well.
ringneck
Site Admin

Re: White glove training

Post by ringneck »

I think white gloves are fine. In fact, it is something I recommend for larger parrots that are aggressive. One particular parrot I was dealing with was a lot like a lion. He would pounce on my fingers and bite the heck out of me! You know, like a lion attacking a wildebeest and tearing at its throat! I know, I know, that's a bit much and I'm only kidding, but the biting became serious. Finally, I had to simply remove him from his cage to avoid getting him upset. Basic tasks such as cleaning his cage, washing food and water bowls, or cleaning his perches brought about a negative trait in him--biting.

For this reason, I always suggest removing the parrot from its cage if it is biting to break the pattern. By removing him you'll always set yourself up for success as he never has the option to bite, thereby, helping to not reinforce the biting. It really is important and it works wonders.

Gloves can be used while handling, if and only if, the parrot has been conditioned to them. I have an article on this I wrote and I'll link it below. But, it seems from your post that your ringneck is already conditioned to the gloves so that's a plus. I would continue to use them as a tool to hopefully move on to bare hands. So, I say continue using them if it helps with your training regimen and your ringneck is not scared of them.

Best Wishes :wink: ,

IMRAN-C

http://www.parrotfeather.com/birdtraining/confidence/
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I wish l knew about gloves when Billie was biting me, but l agree with Imran confidence while handling a parrot is vital.
Harrysmums

Post by Harrysmums »

Hey everyone

I think I didn't explain my self... as Harry is very nervous around people I am wearing white gloves when im entering his cage as with bare hands he squawks. . But with gloves on he is a lot calmer.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I think the idea of wearing gloves is a great idea, reminds me of the March Hare.