Sapphires progress

Moderator: Mods

MissK

Re: Sapphires progress

Post by MissK »

Wait, I was sleeping! Is it too late for ME to get a Camel?

InTheAir~ I have mostly G scale. I wanted a full size, narrow gauge passenger service in my back yard, but space limitation was a factor..... :wink:
-MissK
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

MissK-Let me think...mmm...Ok In exchange for a deer, or a fig cutting :D Which colour, black or white.
"Live with parrots and you learn to panic"

AlphaWolf
MissK

Post by MissK »

If I'm giving you a deer and a fig, I want one of each! Can mine be about 4 inches high, though?
-MissK
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Oh God MissK, why so fussy :roll: Ok, but you have to wait for the bonsai camel to grow up. Umm, about maybe 3 months from now. Is this a good size: http://blogs.bootsnall.com/Leaott/files ... 0camel.jpg
"Live with parrots and you learn to panic"

AlphaWolf
MissK

Post by MissK »

Oh God MissK, why so fussy :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AlphaWolf, you made my morning!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

XXOO
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Missk: photos please!

Alpha: that's a very good size for a camel. Let me know how the bonsai camels are coming along in a few weeks time!
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Sapphire is so funny! I thought I could take a nap on the living room floor today. I was just about asleep when something started tickling my knee, she proceeded to climb all over me with her scratchy little claws, tried to burrow under me and finally settled for sitting on my head to nibble my ear and hair. When she got tired she went into Nilas cage to sleep and Nila decided he wanted to hear the sound of his own voice at full volume. Lucky they are so cute or I would have strangled them both! There's nothing like some repeating "such a gooooood boy!" Over and over to really ruin a good nap! Or a little beak exploring your ear.

Oh, I forgot to mention, Sapphire chomped Daves ear really, really hard the other day while he was eating breakfast, like the way she chomps toys. He screamed and flailed around and she slid of his shoulder, but came back and tried it again. No more Daves shoulder for Sapphire! She's been really gentle with my ears though, so she still has shoulder privileges with me.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Maybe you should be thinking of picking out some new Sapphire earrings for that new hole that's on its way to your ear.

Poor Dave. I've only ever been nibbled on the ear, and I think that's quite bad enough. Please send him to the doctor if it gets the least bit infected. Ears act a little differently than other body parts, due to the cartilage and reduced blood flow. If he's really cursed he could lose it. :shock: So lots of antiseptic, please, and watch it carefully.

Very cute she came looking for you while you were napping, though. :P
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Don't worry, Dave's fine, it didn't break the skin at all. Ears are just sensitive to pressure.

She does the gentlest nibbles on me, it tickles like anything. She does the same to my fingers frequently, not to mention any other object she comes into contact with. Nila was a bit nibbly at that age too, he's not so much now but he still grooms fingers sometimes.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I'd take an ear nibble over a lip nibble...that's where hamlet gets chris all the time. You'd think he would have learned by now NOT to stick his face in front of that beak :lol:

I woke up from a nap two days ago with Cyrano on my head and hamlet perched on my back. The two of em are double trouble. I didn't mean to fall asleep...and they didn't mean to chew on the TV remote :o
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I'm with you on the lip nibbles, even the gentlest break can hurt. .. especially after it's just consumed a chilli! I usually kiss Nila on the top of his beak when he steps up, it took a few times before I broke that habit and remembered to check which bird is on my hand before I kissed the beak (and to remember when I last fed chillis). Sapphire does not like being kissed, luckily she mostly flies away, but not every time!

:lol: I'm sure chewing the remote was totally an accident!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Chile kisses are the worst!!!

Oh I'm sure they didn't mean it at all lol...the look of innocent angels when I asked them who did it was priceless :lol:

MissK

Post by MissK »

They thought you put that remote there for them!
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Sapphire and I were just playing around and I taught her a trick! She gives a high five now! Well she more holds onto my finger with her foot, but it's a good start. She learnt turn around last week and she's got it down quite well.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Awwww...high five back sapphire :D

MissK

Post by MissK »

I think hold-my-finger is cute enough! :)
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

MissK wrote:I think hold-my-finger is cute enough! :)
Definitely! And it will help with nail trimming.
I didn't think Sapphire was super bright, but she picked it up really quickly. Sunflower sprouts are very motivating!
Redzone

Post by Redzone »

We went to a pet store yesterday, they had a pair of Alexandrines there, Sapphire has the same size feet! I knew they were oversize! Lol
MissK

Post by MissK »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
(She can't hear me, can she?)
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Oh that poor thing...maybe she'll grow into them :wink:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Skyes_crew wrote:Oh that poor thing...maybe she'll grow into them :wink:
Hahaha I kind of hope she doesn't, she'll be a giant!
Missk, we promise not to tell her.

Since I am working evenings over summer and we have been going to bqqs and parties after, we have been out at birdy bedtime. Nilas cage is the right shape to have darkness in the sleep area by covering that part, and he goes in there when he's tired but Sapphires little box of a cage is not suitable for that. We got home at midnight the other night and found Sapphire munching away at her veggies in the tiny little patch that was left uncovered!
We just bought timers and another lamp so we can leave them uncovered and still retain their normal schedule. We like the 8pm bedtime, it gives Dave and Nila a couple hours together after work, as neither of them seem capable of getting up any earlier in the mornings!
MissK

Post by MissK »

Wow, you got timers!
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I hope Dave can work out how to set them. We have 2 lamps ready to go, the brighter one will be set to switch off first. We are thinking a 15 minute gap to allow them to settle in. We usually switch off lights in a pattern and then add covers with the last light still on.
What do you think of 15 minutes?
MissK

Post by MissK »

If it isn't enough to start, they will surely get used to it.
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

They won't have much choice since we won't be home anyway :mrgreen: but the lamps make their room kind of like dusk anyway, the whole room is pretty gloomy at the best of times.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Well the timers must have been successful, both birds were on their sleeping perches sound asleep until we got home and made too much noise!
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Since we have been using the lamps on timers to get the birds to bed when we are out, Nila has been sleeping in until around 9am :shock: either he is sleeping in because it's holidays or he is not sleeping so well until after we get home and cover his cage. Sapphire is really quiet in the mornings, so I just uncover her when Nila gets up. She has been a bit bleary eyed in the mornings too.... We have been covering their cages in the dark as soon as we get home, they wake up a little but don't bother to move when we come in.

The birds are in the dining room, we can't move them to another room as downstairs is open plan (the cages are also on the only patch of tiled floor) and upstairs is stinking hot!
Any suggestions on how we can ensure they are getting enough sleep?

Btw I think Sapphire was trying to hang out with Nila today, she was following him around with a toy in her mouth. Nila wasn't prepared to hang around and find out if she was going to be nice though, so she gave up after a few minutes.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I'm not sure anyone is still following this thread, but I wanted to share some more progress.
Sapphire answered me with Nilas contact call today! She's been using it a lot lately. She has copied quite a few Nila noises and he can mimic her perfectly, so it is getting hard totell which noise came from what bird!
I'm a bit surprised that she hasn't started repeating Nilas human words yet, as Nila seems to talk almost nonstop all day! He talks heaps more than he contact calls.

And the other thing I realised is that: If we got a dashund we'd almost have a halfway decent stereo; 2 tweeters and a sub-woofer :mrgreen:
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

OMG...really Claire??? :lol:

I kind of remember when hamlet started talking...well not really because I thought it was Skye doing all the talking. Turns out hamlet had learned to mimic her words perfectly. So keep a look out for who's saying what. It could be sapphire one of these days. :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Dave left his Facebook logged in on my computer, I think I might have to make that today's status update...

That's really cool, Mel!
It would be pretty cute if Sapphire learns to talk from his birdiness. I hadn't really considered whether she'd be much of a talker. She seems on par with Nila at that age, maybe she will.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

InTheAir wrote: The birds are in the dining room, we can't move them to another room as downstairs is open plan (the cages are also on the only patch of tiled floor) and upstairs is stinking hot!
Any suggestions on how we can ensure they are getting enough sleep?
Do they nap during the day? I remember Pamela Clarke saying she didn't think guaranteeing enough sleep time was a huge deal because they will sleep during the day if they need it.
InTheAir wrote:Btw I think Sapphire was trying to hang out with Nila today, she was following him around with a toy in her mouth. Nila wasn't prepared to hang around and find out if she was going to be nice though, so she gave up after a few minutes.
Cute!

Ellie.
MissK

Post by MissK »

I'm following!

Maybe you could consider getting more sleep, yourselves?

Rocky sleeps pretty late sometimes, generally after I've had him up half the night. Cheeky bastard came out of his cage today when I opened it to give him a treat. Dogs were standing by with a lot of interest. Good thing we've practiced that "go back home for this bribe" thing.
:D
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Ellie, yes they take naps.. But they haven't been as often as usual, come to think of it. Nila hasn't been having his usual evening nap before bed (or at least not in the days we are home). I think you have figured it out!
Btw, Nila would love to have a play date with Charlie when you guys come home. He was making Charlie noises yesterday. I'm sure Sapphire would love to have another lesson in manners from Janey too :wink:
She is actually way more trouble than Nila and your guys put together! She is a super confident explorer, who makes herself at home in a new room immediately and attempts to eat all furnishings within minutes! Your guys are little angels as house guests compared to her!

Missk, :lol: I do go to bed early!
We don't hang out in the birds room after they go to bed much. We have another living room for evening entertainment.

Sapphire does that trick too! She squeezes out the little doors for the food cups even while your hand is in the way. Then she realises that she's on the wrong side and can't get the yummy food :lol:
MissK

Post by MissK »

:lol: I guess she won't make a habit of that, then! This Rocky coming out when I open the door - this is the consequence of putting the big cages together. He can't use his special next box door anymore and he's been using the main door. So, now he thinks he can just come on out anytime, since that's how we've been doing it. I just open it and walk away and in 5 seconds he's out.

Can't miss an opportunity to brag on him a little - today when I chucked a collard leaf in his cage he just ran over and started chowing down. Bless his little beak! I had to put four leaf pieces in the Budgie cage because otherwise Riff Raff wouldn't let anybody else have any.
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Sapphire is happy to charge out the small doors, but when I open the big one she almost always gestures for a hand to give her a lift out. It's pretty cute, she stretches her beak towards me and stares at the hand then looks down to her feet and repeats until hand is in the correct place. She will climb out if I just open the door and walk off, but prefers a ride.

Aww riff raff! Budgies are even cuter when they don't share :lol: you're birds are so good to eat their greens. My guys have gone off Kale and leafy stuff lately.
Daves mum found a picture of a budgie that Dave drew when he was little. I'll try to remember to upload it later.

I decided to teach Sapphire that target thing properly today. I did it a little differently than the usual recommended method, since she's already tame and vaguely targets towards a tapping finger. I just rewarded her for walking up quite close, after a few tries she started touching my finger with the top of her beak. At least with this method we avoided her usual tendency to eat everything (like target sticks).
She's really cute and enthusiastic! I love the way she gallops and hops across the table to touch the finger!
MissK

Post by MissK »

I would like to see video of this table galloping.
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

MissK wrote:I would like to see video of this table galloping.
I'll have a go at videoing it for you.
Btw, I got distracted and forgot to mention that Sapphire ate a very nice Christmas card we received yesterday! She thought it was lovely, and so did we. Thanks!
She only ate it a little bit though, so I hid it in another room.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Missk: tonight Sapphire was more in a road runner kind of mood. There is a a tiny bit of her gallop at 1m 33s. http://youtu.be/xoAl84sNWeg
Innit she just the cutest little ADHD monster ever?! She is moulting at the moment, please excuse how manky she looks.
MissK

Post by MissK »

So entertaining - and you have the best collection of music, too!
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I love seeing a bird fly....but there is just something so cute about watching them run around :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Skyes_crew wrote:I love seeing a bird fly....but there is just something so cute about watching them run around :D
Totally! I love it when they pounce on stuff too.

Missk, that song is from a most interesting movie called Black Cat, White Cat.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

My bird is a nutter! Nila had another go at wooing her today and she was crouching and clucking at him.
I'm glad they get along in some way. ... But, come on children, you're too young for those games!
I have to admit that I am mildly fed up with her at the moment. I wasn't that fussed about having a tame second bird, I wanted a friend for Nila. She's so demanding! She just wants to be the centre of attention. Nila can't even sit on me for a few minutes before she is in my face. If I talk to Nila, she zooms over to chase him off. The only way I can interact with Nila is by locking her in a cage.
I have a feeling she only mimics him to get my attention, as Nila gets replies to contact calls when he uses them. She seems to have completely eliminated her noises in favour of Nilas now.
Absolute win in positive reinforcement for bird taming, total fail in achieving my goal of 2 happy ringnecks that play together and amuse each other! Bird tv is stuck on a really boring channel at our house. .. Anyone got a birds bird they want to swap for an annoyingly tame one?
On saying that, if I am not playing with Nila, she plays by herself well and amuses herself. She loves having girl time with me, we mostly roll balls around the pool table and I admire the way she attacks the toy raindeer, while the boys are off playing with cars. She's pretty cute when she isn't trying to beat up Nila.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

My bird actually did something cute today! It might have been overactive mummy imagination, but she sounded like she said good girl! I was praising her repeatedly when she stopped fighting with Nila over the shower and she made a noise that was close to the one I was saying.
I'll be very surprised if that's her first word, Dave and I were sure it would be not so nice or socially acceptable. :wink:
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hey, that's nice! Sure, she said Good Girl. Why not? You were probably quite sincere when you said it, maybe relieved, probably gave it that extra something special they like so much. And it's my understanding that words frequently start a little unclear. Keep telling her, of course, only if she really *IS* good! She'll be good. I have faith in her.
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

She is a good girl :D and that's awesome that she's vocalizing words already. It sounds so cute when they self praise...even if they're being naughty. :wink:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

She does get told she is a good girl a lot. I praise the birds when they are playing nicely by themselves or doing anything I appreciate. I guess that's why Nila is always saying "such a good boy!" it is always being repeated, because he is!
I'm surprised she's trying to repeat my words, all the other noises she makes are Nila ones. I guess she doesn't want to call herself a good boy.

Just for the record, I usually sound sincere when I tell her she's a b**** too :lol:
MissK

Post by MissK »

Good thing my bird says "perfect" and he almost never hears a naughty word.......... Almost.......
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Mine hear naughty words all the time, usually not directed at them (well not at Nila anyway)!

Sapphire chased Nila off his dinner, so he went to eat hers in her cage and got busted by her. She had him cornered and was biting at him, luckily not actually hurting him but threatening. I grabbed her and bodily removed her before grabbing Nila (who is trained to accept being grabbed) and checking him. She growled at me when I relocated her, but forgave me immediately and jumped onto my hand.

It kind of worries me that Sapphire seems to like playing angry games, beak wrestling with my hand or wrestling a toy off me while growling away. She mouths very gently when we interact this way, it's not something I feel I should encourage so I don't play like that often (we never have played like this with Nila as he doesn't show aggression unless we piss him off a lot).

Do you think I should humour her more aggressive side or just not interact with her when she is acting this way? I'm undecided whether encouraging her to vent with me is healthy or not. Nila does go beat up a toy once in a blue moon and I'd never interfere with that, it's different with her as she likes me to be involved in those games. I certainly don't want to encourage her to be more of a psycho than she already is! Should I distract aggressive play and try to eliminate it when it is involving me? It's dead easy to distract her into a non aggressive mood, I do it most of the time...
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I don't think having an aggressive side is all that bad. As long as she's not ripping your hand apart lol. Cyrano has a bit if an an aggressive side sometimes, usually when I go near his food dishes. He doesn't bite, but he growls to tell me he doesn't like it and he will beak my hand. So I made a little knotted rope to play tug of war with him. I don't know if all birds do this or if it's because he watches my dogs do it, but he will take one end and pull and shake his head a little. Is that considered supporting a bad habit :D

ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Do you think I should humour her more aggressive side or just not interact with her when she is acting this way?
My avian vet tells us to play with Janey by waving a tissue over her head. I think the idea was to get her used to the idea of having something covering her head, I can't exactly remember why he said it now. I don't do it because she gets really agitated and angry and lashes out at the tissue and possibly my hand. When I mentioned that last time, he said that's okay and I should do it any way. Maybe he thinks I'm letting her train me too much?

So maybe our vet thinks it's okay to engage in rough play with them? I guess if if gets it out of their system then it's better it happen in a playful setting? I really don't know, jugs thought I'd put these ideas out there. I hope it makes sense.

Ellie.