Is my IRN sick or just nervous?

Moderator: Mods

shahar101

Is my IRN sick or just nervous?

Post by shahar101 »

Hi everyone,

So I bought a tame 11 week old Indian Ringneck yesterday and I noticed today that it had droppings around its vent, isn't very active and after I gave it a bath, it didnt preen at all. It's eating normally and its droppings are what they should look like - so it doesn't have the runs.
Could it just be that it's nervous in its new environment? Or should I be more concerned about the fact that I may have purchased a sick bird?

Please help! Don't want my little guy to suffer :(
InTheAir

Re: Is my IRN sick or just nervous?

Post by InTheAir »

I think that may be worth a trip to the avian vet. It's generally a good idea to take new birds for a check up anyway.

Good luck, I hope it's nothing serious.
Mitchan

Post by Mitchan »

At least the fact that he's not active and didn't preen after his bath could definitely be that he's nervous in his new home, but I too think you should visit an avian vet just to be sure. :)
shahar101

Post by shahar101 »

Hm, yes I might take it to the vet soon.
Well it's day 3 and my bird has slowly started to explore it's new cage, but it's still very cautious. Its feathers look messy so I guess its still not preening..
Has anyone else seen this sort of behaviour with their IRN? And if you have, was it serious or did they become more active eventually?
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Shahar101,

I believe you said your ringneck is 11 weeks old, correct? At 11 weeks he should be curious about his surroundings. In fact, he should not be so still. The good news is that you said his droppings look to be normal and he has a healthy appetite. There should not be a lot of liquid in his stools unless the baby is being hand fed; however, it seems he's not from your updated post.

I would run him to the vet. Birds show illness when they are really sick, thus, it is usually to late to save the bird. For now keep him warm and get him to the vet.

Best Wishes :wink: ,

IMRAN-C
shahar101

Post by shahar101 »

ringneck wrote:There should not be a lot of liquid in his stools unless the baby is being hand fed; however, it seems he's not from your updated post.
Thanks for your input Imran. What do you mean by hand fed?

Today he was showing more curiosity, I got him out of the cage for about 2 and half hours. He was climbing around on my bed and even sat on my head preening my hair for a while. Also, more good news! I saw him preening himself :D hooray! Hopefully he continues to improve.