How to introduce the new one to the old one?

Moderator: Mods

Parrotlover

How to introduce the new one to the old one?

Post by Parrotlover »

Hello,

Yesterday I bought a new parrot. I have one since 2 years. The "old one" is named Rafi and is a girl and is tamed. She is one social bird and let us touch her. Today I let out Rafi of the cage and she went to "the new one" named Rango and he started attacking her even he bit her on the leg not really bad but still she has a little wound.

Please tell me what to do. How to meet them without anyone get hurt?
Want to earn some easy money while staying at home? This is your chance register now here for FREE --->
http://www.neobux.com/?rh=4C696C6F3238
zentoucan

Re: How to introduce the new one to the old one?

Post by zentoucan »

hello parrotlover
Are they the same species of parrot?
I suggest you put them into separate cages and put them next to each other and I wouldn't let them out together yet, nor put them in the same cage. But if you let one out at a time. the one that is out might fly to the others cage or you could put a T perch next to the cage.
of course there is a strong possibility that they will never get along.
Parrotlover

Post by Parrotlover »

Yes they are in seperate cages and are the same species.

Thank you for the comment.
Want to earn some easy money while staying at home? This is your chance register now here for FREE --->
http://www.neobux.com/?rh=4C696C6F3238
MissK

Post by MissK »

I would suggest, if you do place their cages right next to each other, that you also construct a partial sight barrier between them. Just create a situation where either of them can choose to be out of sight of the other if they want to be. Honestly, I think birds should always have a hiding option, but if they are quite close I think it becomes even more important.
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Definitely let them have some privacy. Also, if they are growling at each other when the cages are close together, I would move the cages apart to a distance that they are both comfortable with. Forcing them to be too close may make them more worked up because it will appear to the agressor that their warning signals are being ignored.

Our young bird that we've had for a couple month doesn't get on with our older bird either.
Ours haven't actually touched each other when they bicker, they just threaten and the older one flies away.
We have them caged a few metres away from each other and they mostly choose to be out of sight of each other.
Be careful if they land on each others cages, it may turn into a brawl and toes may be in danger!