Ringneck isn't comfortable when my boyfriends around

Moderator: Mods

liljo202

Ringneck isn't comfortable when my boyfriends around

Post by liljo202 »

Hi DId anyone have this problem My 8 months old ringneck Roscoe is very attached to me. He ll step up on my boyfriends hand but he won t stay he flies off He can t fly too far cause his wings are clipped. I doesn' t seem like he's afraid of him cause he steps up to him But he seems very cautious when he's around He won't take food from him Did anyone else have this problem We don't know how to solve this problem If anyone can give me some input I would appreciate it Thanks liljo202
ellieelectrons

Re: Ringneck isn't comfortable when my boyfriends around

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi liljo

The caution you've described is normal. It is definitely related to fear. It is good that your bird feels it can fly away even when clipped because otherwise your bird may bite your boyfriend. Your boyfriend needs to concentrate on making Roscoe feel comfortable and safe whilst he's around. Let him keep interacting with a Roscoe but at Roscoe's pace. You can help things along by encouraging your bf feed Roscoe lots of small treats. He'll gradually win him over.

Ellie.
liljo202

Post by liljo202 »

ellieelectrons wrote:Hi liljo

The caution you've described is normal. It is definitely related to fear. It is good that your bird feels it can fly away even when clipped because otherwise your bird may bite your boyfriend. Your boyfriend needs to concentrate on making Roscoe feel comfortable and safe whilst he's around. Let him keep interacting with a Roscoe but at Roscoe's pace. You can help things along by encouraging your bf feed Roscoe lots of small treats. He'll gradually win him over.

Ellie.
Hi Ellie, Thanks for the info Yes We will try to work on this problem Hope it eventually will work out Thanks again liljo
zentoucan

Post by zentoucan »

did the boyfriend come into the scene after the bird or before?
when anyone new comes to our house I introduce the newcomer to my Alexandrine named Delfin and now the IRN although the IRN is very nervous this due to he/her being a aviary bred bird. dealing with that through training. anyway back to introducing newcomers.
I have Delfin step up onto my finger, then I tell him this is " Fred " and " Fred " this is Delfin. then approach " Fred " and get " Fred " to give the Delfin a treat. if Delfin takes the treat then Fred and Delfin are introduced. but this doesn't mean that " Fred " can handle Delfin. if Delfin refuses the treat then Delfin and Fred aren't introduced and will try again later.