Best Cage

Moderator: Mods

AlphaWolf

Best Cage

Post by AlphaWolf »

I really need to but aero a new cage. Why? This cage was bought as a temporarily cage, too long and not really big enough. So I would like to know the best cages to buy. Maximum prise is 150-200$. Oh and kit has to be able to ship to riyadh. Most of the other equipment I will buy from My Safe Bird Store. And what tips do you have on cages?
"Live with parrots and you learn to panic"

AlphaWolf
AJPeter

Re: Best Cage

Post by AJPeter »

I bought a nice cage form Northern Parrots www.northernparrots.com it is Drake width 63 cms, depth 53 cms 3 feeders and 2 perches the top opens, it was a beast to put together every screw and bolt had to be as slack as possible but evenutally l did it, it has a tray to put things in and Billie loves it and as it is on wheels it is very easy to clean under, it cost £129.99 but l have seen it cheapeer, shop on line.
They offer free delivery but to Riydah? Does anyone deliver to Riydah?
AJPeter
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I have an avi one 604 for Sapphire. http://petone.com.au/avione/avi_cages.asp
I think it is a bit small though, it's 82cm long by 46cm deep. We got it as a temporary cage and thought it would be useful for holidays.
If she doesn't make friends with Nila and move into his cage soon I may have to upgrade it.

Nilas cage is about 2 metres long by 60cm wide. We couldn't find a large enough cage that suited, so we built it.
Last edited by InTheAir on Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

60 meters wide? Wow!
AJPeter
MissK

Post by MissK »

AJ, put your glasses on..........

AlphaWolf, this is my cage: http://www.petco.com/product/122696/HQ- ... -Cage.aspx I really love it, but I bet it's too big for your bedroom. :wink: I wish it were taller. It is Rocky's "almost all the time" cage. He sometimes visits a different floor of the house, and when he does, it's this cage: http://www.petco.com/product/114149/Pet ... age-114149 In my opinion, this one is too small for all day, every day, but it is perfect for an afternoon now and then. I'm sure lots of people keep their birds in cages like this.

This cage looks pretty nice to me, and would likely fit well in any house. PROBLEM is that the wires are much too thin. This size wire makes a flimsy cage and it's not strong enough for an IRN. If you can find one like this but with a larger gauge wire (3mm or bigger) it could be fine. http://www.petco.com/product/112008/Pre ... -Cage.aspx If you search for A&E Cage Company or HQ, I think you could find something good enough. Prevue-Hendryx seems to have gone downhill.
-MissK
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

MissK wrote:AJ, put your glasses on...........

:lol: :lol: :lol:
MissK that is was too big :D . I'am thinking maybe of a large dome top cage but I think flight cage is the best but too big. Something similar to the http://forums.avianavenue.com/index.php ... ity.48917/ cage in this link. Something that has a tray, easier to clean, large enough to accommodate around 4-5 perched and have a lot of room for toys. Aero is still 9months old so something for maybe 1-2 years. Oh and he will stay inside the cage all day except from maybe 4 hours.

AlphaWolf
MissK

Post by MissK »

Pan and Grate. From a practicality standpoint, the cage should have a pan under the grate. They should slide out independently of each other, and either one by itself should be enough to prevent the bird escaping. Some cages have a fixed grate that cannot be removed without disassembling the cage. Do not get that kind. Metal pans are subject to rust, poor sliding, getting bent which also causes poor sliding, and being too heavy for comfort of the cage cleaner. If water is spilled in them they might leak in the corners. Plastic pans are subject to breakage, even under careful management, and staining. Plastic pans are very lightweight, and so other pets can slide them out by messing around under the cage, but they are very easy to clean. Younger siblings count as "other pets" in this case. I don't think a very small child would be moving a metal pan until he was old enough to understand not to, but if he did, it would really hurt when it landed on him.........

Doors. There should be a large door that you will use while servicing the cage. A small door just cramps your style and makes cleaning the cage a lousy chore. On the other hand, a big door allows the bird to fly out past you, if it wants to. You have to train the bird, block the bird, not care if he comes out past you, or use a small door. I like a big door, personally. The door should latch closed. Smaller feed doors are very handy, though not 100% necessary. If they do not latch you will probably want to secure them in some way. NOTE, some latches are not very hard for the bird to undo them from inside the cage. Use good judgement or supplemental locking.

Perches. The cage will come with some junky smooth dowel or plastic perches. You will want to give the bird more perches at least, and probably better perches made of natural wood. I like fir perches. I feel manzanita is too hard *as a perch*. As a toy, fine, but the bird's feet should have something softer for every day, all day. Also, when you buy perches you need to get a variety of thicknesses for good foot health.

Feed dishes. You probably already have these, as well as your own opinions on them. I prefer the stainless steel bowls that fit into a ring that stays bolted on the perch. There are some plastic ones that drop, twist, and click into place. I bought one (expensive!) and gave it away immediately. Too much effort to jockey it into place for me. Some cages come with built in stainless food bowls. It's OK, but you may not be able to move them to suit yourself or your bird. Sounds harmless, but remember you donm't want to put anything *over* a food bowl where the bird may poop into the food. There are also plastic dishes that just hang onto the bars and are easy to move. Easy to move might also mean a Ringneck will enjoy throwing them on the floor.....

Toys. I'm sure you and Aero are well versed in toys by now. Remember your cage has to have room for toys and bird, too! Lots of toys hang from the ceiling, so the cage should have some height. However, birds don't just move up and down, so should have some width as well.

These are just thoughts off the top of my head. I'm really tired, so heading to bed now.
8) Zzzzzzzz........
-MissK
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

As for the ray, I have one but it is plastic. I removed the grill because it stops all the poop and accumulates it. A metal tray is much better i believe. And a removable grill will be perfect.
Door: The door's design will make it way way harder to clean so i need a bigger door.
Feed: dishes are the ones that you remove form the outside and are also ceramic. I would like 3 SS ones: food,water and a larger one for baths and the like.
Perches. I plan to add a rope perch as a sleeping perch, and wooden perches with different thickness and texture all around.

Btw, maximum cage size will probably be 1metre x 1metre x 1.5metres maximum. My bedroom is two bedrooms stuck together so it's quite big.

That's why I really really need a new cage. Good night MissK, sweet dreams

AlphaWolf
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Herr are some cages that I Love:
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p292 ... 1700-1.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff17 ... CN7433.jpg
What is a good size cage and one that you will recommend MissK (dimensions)? The cage that I'am using is super clumsy. The doors are guillotine style but with a lock in the outside so there is not a safety risk, but it makes a very loud noise when opening and has a super clumsy design.The size is OK for now! But it's more vertical so makes it harder to walk around and fly. SO yeah, that why i need a new cage.

AlphaWolf
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi AlphaWolf,

The cage in the second picture looks just like mine. Since you pictured only half, I assume you are thinking of the half size version. It would be OK, but taller would be better. In your first picture I preferred the one on the right with the swoopy top.

I think 30 inches across and 22 inches front to back would be a *minimum* to shoot for. At least 36 inches tall would be preferable. I would *rather* see a bird in a cage 48 inches wide AND tall, if not a little taller.

Poor Rocky (Heh. "poor" Rocky. He is so spoiled. :lol: ) is in a cage I wanted for him. :( Maybe I'll be able to upgrade in a few years.
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

AlphaWolf look for a cage on wheels to be able to move the cage easily so you can vacum is a boon l also move Billie's cage to mist her as in her corner are a lot of electrical plugs. Also a cage that opens out at the top is also very good as it gives the bird more space. Billie sits all day on the top perch surveying all who go past in the street below.
Why can you not leave Areo out all day?
AJPeter
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

It is not generally advised to leave parrots out when you are not supervising them, unless you have a bird proof room.
This is even more the case with females coming into breeding season, when they start seeking out and modifying nesting spots.
If I left Sapphire out when I'm not home, I'm pretty sure I'd come back to a burnt down house or a fried bird, not to mention a few less cornices. She tries to chomp anything she comes in contact with!
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Is this best place to discuss whether they should be left out duirng the day and if not where? In Parrot speak l have raised this issue should we continue there?
AJPeter
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Start a new thread in the section called "diet and housing".
If you do an Internet search on things like "cage free parrots" and "bird room for parrots" you will find lots of information.
MissK

Post by MissK »

I totally forgot about wheels on cages. Yes, they're a big help! I really like the shelf on the bottom of mine, too, but if the cage were a "tabletop" model and sat on a cabinet, like fishtanks, that might work well for storage, not so much for vacuuming.........
-MissK
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

I would never ever leaf Aero unattended. Can you leave a baby unattended, no. So it's the same. One little mistake and Bam no bird left. Does the sleep perch have to be higher that eye level. Wheels are great I believe, I nearly died in envy when I saw Claire's cage :mrgreen: .

AlphaWolf
MissK

Post by MissK »

I would make sure there is a perch about 7 inches (do the math) from the ceiling of the cage for sleeping. Aero will choose if he wants it or another. I bet he will choose the highest one. :D
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

IRN and parrots do not use the lower level below their seed trays so it is pointless getting a tall cage, but table top cages l think would be too small. Some parrot owners would say that the cage shoud be one and a half times wider than the bird wing span so they can flap their wings in comfort, that is okay if there is nothing in the cage apart from perches.
There as so many toys and mirrors in Billy's cage that it is standing room only.
AJPeter
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Interestingly, my birds do use the full height of their cage. Admittedly, they don't use the bottom much... but I put their foot toys in a coop cup hanging off the cage bars about 3/4 of the way down and they do go down there to get them. They sometimes like foraging in the bottom of the cage too for things they dropped earlier.

Ellie.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Sapphire uses all of her cage. It's a pretty small cage, by my standards.
Nila uses his climbing tree that goes right to the ground, but doesn't step off it on to the floor much.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Maybe it's a question of the tastes of the bird, or what's in the space. Rocky spends time running around on the bottom of his cage every day. He has a very low perch he likes sometimes just stepping up and over and down the other side, such a silly sight! He also dances with his foot toys down there, takes his bath in a bowl down there, chases all the toys he dropped down there, and sometimes even just runs along looking for all the world like he's muttering "Bah! Humbug" under his breath. He also recently enjoys pulling paper up through the grate down there.
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

MissK how old is Rocky? Did you train him to run around the on the grill? Billie is very dainty anything that drops she considers "Dirty!" and won't touch it.
AJPeter
MissK

Post by MissK »

Rocky is getting close to twelve. I didn't train him to go on the floor; I just put him in the cage. He lived with another family before mine, and they seem to have not really taught him much of anything, although I do think they might have fed him by hand from time to time, a long time before they sold him to me. I think that because it did not take him long to come to my hand to snatch food, though he did not want anything to do with me in other regards. I think he uses all his space because he has the space to use and something to do with it - like chase his fallen things. Watching him enjoy his big cage, knowing the circumstances he came from, is very satisfying for me.
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I took a leaf out of your book MissK and put one of the perches from the old cage across the bottom of this cage it is too big but l angled the perch and now it is 4" off the bottom, judging from the ripping of paper noise coming form under the blanket Bilie is using that perch it puts her swimming pool within diving range.
Did Rocky come with bad habits?
Trying to understand their behaviour is really very satisfying l agree with you. Do you know much about hens? I leave Billie out unsupervised but now l am beginnig to think that might not be a good idea what with nest buildng on the menu. What do you htink?
MissK

Post by MissK »

AJ, I am sorry that I can be of no help at all regarding the peculiarities of hens. I have no experience there. I think it is a mistake to leave the bird uncaged all or most of the time, for a variety of reasons. I would think, if the room has been carefully prepared, it should be OK once in a while.

No, being *perfect* as he is, Rocky did not come with any bad habits. Of course, you should understand there are few things I would consider a bad habit, and there is always room for development......

He *did* come with a few "shortcomings". He was not comfortable with people within a certain distance, but he was not one of those unfortunate terrified, thrashing, screaming totally unaccustomed to people birds. He did not know how to eat anything but seeds and pears, though he came quickly up to speed when I gave him nuts and certain fruits. Most vegetables remain a stumbling block, but he has learned to love his kale, thank goodness!

Rocky also came with very few natural bird skills. He knew how to sit on his one smooth dowel perch, and he knew how to climb the walls. He fell instantly in love with the first toy I gave him, a little mesh cat ball. Six months later he figured out how to chew wood. (I was SO PROUD.) He was afraid of the natural wood perches, and declined to set foot on most the the novel things in the cage until he had some time to get used to them and see some motivation (read: nuts) to try them out. He did not know what to do with the other toys. He did not fly. He certainly did not let the hand come near him.

I could brag on Rocky all day. I am most proud of him for learning to eat different foods, learning to fly to my hand (which includes getting on the hand in the first place), and learning to use his own body to do what birds should be able to do.
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

MissK l have written in Parrot speak how much your report of Rocky on the bottom of his cage has helped Billie and me.
AJPeter
MissK

Post by MissK »

AJ, I'm very pleased you found something new Billie likes!
-MissK
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

I decided earlier that I will make a lower perch because Aero loves to run on the bottom. Maybe a box of foot toys or a bath or something. Does anyone know if petco ships to Saudi Arabia. I found this( it was 100 but i missed the offer :(), http://www.petco.com/product/114150/Pet ... -Cage.aspx. I know it looks small, but here is some pics compared to a cockatiel:http://forums.avianavenue.com/index.php ... ost-801030. The colour is not the best but is will come nice with my bedroom theme I guess, and it way bigger. What do you think MissK, and say thank you to Claire for finding it for me!

AlphaWolf
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay has a Liberta Denver Corner 2, £349.99 from "Parrotcare", they advertise in "Parrots" magazine, it is THE biggest indoor cage, and Sanjay can fly around inside it.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Alphawolf l think the colour is fabulous, better than black, l like the seed catcher and the cage is not too small, ideal and free shipping is a bonus, Aero will love it. A good investment.
Billie really enjoys that bottom perch l would recomend it to every one, this morning after vacuuming the carpet she dived into her swimming pool and got reaslly wet the first bath she has had since l got her in August.
Lucky sanjay!
AJPeter
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi AlphaWolf,

I regret to relay that I called Petco and asked about shipping. They do not ship outside the USA. If your family is American, they mentioned something about a "U.S. Advocate" helping to get stuff sent. I don't really know what that is, but it was not part of Petco.

Sorry.
:(
-MissK
MissK

Post by MissK »

AlphaWolf,

I Googled a little bit on your behalf. I found this site:http://www.expatriates.com/classifieds/saudi/pets/

I know *nothing* about it, never saw it before, and suggest you be careful if you deal with anyone there - just because the internet could contain *anyone*, and I would not want you to get ripped off or hurt..

I searched for "parrot cage". I found this ad: http://www.expatriates.com/cls/21840016.html The cage looks nice, but does not say how big it is.
-MissK
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hi MissK,
Thank you for dong research. I feels so sad that the don't ship to here. Expatriates is something I will never buy off, trust me it's too dodgy. If you a cage in amazon then I believe they do ship to here! Does My Safe Bird Store ship to KSA because i really want to buy some stuff.

AlphaWolf
MissK

Post by MissK »

If My Safe Bird Store is in USA and you can send me a link to their website, I will call and ask them for you.

I'm sorry the expatriates is not a decent option. :(
-MissK
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Good news,
I contacted My Safe Bird Store and yes they do international delivery! I'am sooooo happy right now. Unfortunately they don't have any cages but the stuff they have there is phenomenal. For all of you, you should shop online there (http://www.mysafebirdstore.com). MissK, is there a good cage in amazon as i believe they do delivery to Riyadh even in a hefty price.

AlphaWolf
MissK

Post by MissK »

Funny you should ask, I think they sell *MY* cage on Amazon....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
-MissK
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

I might...just might...get a flight cage. I will do some searches in amazon today ( is your cage the prevue brand) and see which models I like. MissK, if I ever go to baltimore I'am going to rob your cages with your birds :D

AlphaWolf
MissK

Post by MissK »

My cage is made by HQ, but I think A&E has one nearly identical. I would be wary of Prevue-Hendryx. Some of their cages seem flimsy to me. Always check the wire size - in mm or "gauge". You might be able to find a seller in China, which is where they come from, to keep the price down. I bought my first one from an importer. I think he got it off the boat, stashed it in his garage, and had his older relative deliver it by van! Got a *great* price. Sadly, he quit that biz before I ordered my second one.
-MissK
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Prevue-hendres have very nice cages but the reviews keep saying that they are flimsy. Here is one I kind of liked: http://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Products-W ... 263&sr=1-4. So I will carry on searching in amazon but if you do find something similar to this deign please tell me.

AlphaWolf
MissK

Post by MissK »

It's pretty, but it's only 24" x 20".
-MissK
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Ok everyone i have GREAT NEWS. So to be honest I was extremely sad when I couldn't find a good cage. There seemed to be no other choice, but i follow sherlock hole's principal, if you can't choose between two options choose the third. And that is what I did. So i did research and found a company which supplies you with a USA, UK and China address for about 100-300$ a year. So I went to my dad and told him of my plans to earn obey and get this package when my dad broke the biggest surprise. His company had it all this time :D . So all I have got to do is save money for the cage! Woooohooooo :peanutbutterjellytime:.

P.S. The comany's name is aramex!

AlphaWolf
MissK

Post by MissK »

That's great! You can get your favourite!
-MissK
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Yup, and now to go begging for the money :lol:

AlphaWolf
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Pity you live so far away or I'd pay you to wash my car. It's a good job for a parrot enthusiast, it's covered in lorikeet poo!
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Is there a digital version??? :lol:

AlphaWolf
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

:lol:
MissK

Post by MissK »

If it's digital, RUBY will wash it. She's a little behind in her affairs.
-MissK
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

So when I went to the petshop yesterday, I saw a quite big cage for about 899SR (239$) Which I believe is way not worth it. But it is kinda nice, black and has sliding grill! However it has one thumb of thickness, which is like 1 inch. I believe this is too big, right? And come-on some cage recommendations please! :D

AlphaWolf
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Ok great news everybody. I found a awesome cage and really decided that I will get it. It's really massive and beautiful. http://www.petco.com/product/114150/Pet ... -Cage.aspx And the best news is that I found out just now that I saved up 300$ so I will defiantly get the cage. What's the best places to get perches, toys and stuff. I'am one happy teen. :D

AlphaWolf
MissK

Post by MissK »

Congratulations; nice cage. I think that's the one you wanted before.
-MissK