Coucou's fallen tail

Moderator: Mods

Greenpitbul1113

Coucou's fallen tail

Post by Greenpitbul1113 »

Coucou lost its one & only tail... Is it normal?
Coukou's mate
AJPeter

Re: Coucou's fallen tail

Post by AJPeter »

Feathers are shed when they need replacing or in a moult, look to see if a new one is growing. When l first go my bird she dropped her tail feathers but they have since grown new ones about 14" long!
AJPeter
Greenpitbul1113

Photo shoot today, the tail was lost yesterday
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Coukou's mate
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I feel very sorry for you and Coucou regretfully l can be of no help.
AJPeter
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

The only time I've seen tail feathers like that is when a bird is around lots of other birds that pull out tail feathers. If your bird with others? Overall, it doesn't look normal to me but this isn't my area of expertise.

Ellie.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

It does make me wonder if his cage is wide enough? Can he turn around without his tail hitting on the edge of the cage?

Ellie.
Greenpitbul1113

Cage is too large as the photo shows.. Coucou is only 7,5 months and also feathers fall is normal sometimes as I have read. However on Saturday I have an appointment with a veterinarian so as to ask this and other queries...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (70.3 KiB) Viewed 3665 times
Coukou's mate
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Does coucou spend more time than usual preening his tail feathers? Also, does he try to fly and land awkwardly a lot? These could contribute to his tail looking that way. Loss of the central tail feathers is normal during a molt...but loss of all of his tail feathers at one time is not. How much time does he spend in his cage? If he doesn't have a lot of things to keep him occupied and he paces up and down the bars, that could also contribute to his tail feathers looking tatty. I'm not sure of the dimensions of the cage, since the pic is at a down angle...but the smallest cage I have my guys in is 36" wide X 24" deep X 42" tall. And I feel that's not big enough. My yearlings are in a much larger cage because they are so active. 5 feet wide X 3 feet deep X 4 feet tall. I hope all goes well at the vet. Please keep us updated :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

When you go to the vet take old feathers with you, also samples of poop and write down all the events that happened the day before and the day when the tail feathers fell out take with you a record of food given for a week at least before the tail feather were lost, zooming on your earlier pictures it looks fungal or some form of wet rot but the vet will know what is best keep a careful record of sleep times and any interuptions, might be a good idea to take a sample of the water you use for Coucou. Your cage looks big enough, but take its dimension with you when you got to the vets.
Have you got a travelling cage? Have you got Couco used to it. How is she coping with the tail loss, keep a record of her what food she is eating.
Best of good fortune when you visit the vets.
AJPeter
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

I have two birds that lose all their tail feathers like that during their end of the year annual molt. Both look so untidy during this time, that one might think something is wrong with them.. lol Interestingly both were handraised.

Have you noticed him over preening/chewing at his feathers? Is he losing his flights?- which are usually lost first before the tail feathers during a molt.
Greenpitbul1113

Coucou is occupied with its feathers various times during the day, bitting them or chewing them but this seems normal with a bird. Recently I bought a travelling cage for pets in general which is small and doesn't fit with the dimensions of the bird including its tail. Maybe this contributes to the tail drop although before this I noticed that its tail was more flexible than before.The day before losses its unique feather tail I was carrying Coucou with this cage and the bird picked up its tail so as to fit. On the other hand, it seems energetic and healthy, and I realized also that the mass of the peripheral feathers of the tail has grown compared to 2 months ago when I first bring this bird to its new home. Tommorow is the day of the vet where I will have his opinion about the bird and I will take some photos at the actual examination.
Coukou's mate
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Looking forward to hearing good news about Coucou
Peter
Greenpitbul1113

Well, according to the vet, Coucou is in very good health judging by the color of its eyes & foot. Also, the fall of tail is a result of the traveling cage which doesn't fit to the dimensions of the bird and needs replacement. He prescribed a spray against microbes and some drops of vitamin supplement in the water of Coucou so as to stop bitting its feathers and tail as Coucou has this bad habit many times during the day. He told me that is astonishingly friendly with everyone and this is not so usual for such energetic parrot species as ringnecks. Tomorrow I will post some humorous photos of Coucou's time in the clinic.

p.s I was impressed by the bird's behavior during this adventurous day both in office with its interaction with other unknown people to the bird and to people in vet's clinic. Coucou was calling me when I was absent and he made some leaps towards me when I always appear after some times absent. It played with all people interacting with it and gave very few bites to people that hold it and caress it. I hoped having more time, energy and patience and maybe the expertise so as to proper train Coucou as appears very perceptible in orders and to my wills...
Coukou's mate
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Thank goodness all is okay with Coucou, that must be big releif for you.
AJPeter
Greenpitbul1113

coucou is playing with the vet's business card, the best promotion for doctor, maybe doesn't like him.., by tearing his card..
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Coukou's mate
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Nice photo's hope Coucou gets better soon/
AJPeter