Are we prepared to look after our birds right into old age

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Little Buttercup

Are we prepared to look after our birds right into old age

Post by Little Buttercup »

I would like to share this link with everyone here. My heart goes out to Cocky Boy and his wonderfully caring mama.

http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/how-do-y ... -gets-old/

Ash
ellieelectrons

Re: Are we prepared to look after our birds right into old a

Post by ellieelectrons »

Thanks for sharing that. I didn't read it all, but it's a great blog post.

Ellie.
MissK

Post by MissK »

I am so not going to facebook, so I didn't read it.

But it's a fine question. Aging animals are going to have challenging needs, and aging people are going to have challenges providing for them. It *is* true that if you stacked my birds up against my dogs in a love contest, for me, the dogs would win. I think it seems natural, since I've known them so much longer, our bond is incredibly strong.

However, in time I know the dogs will go, and the birds will take their spot in my heart. That said, I was at the vet's yesterday, watching my dog's blood be drawn. The vet and I were having a chat about how people faint when they see their own blood and how it might be different if it were in a syringe vs coming from a wound, etc.

Neat chat. BUT, in it I realized my dog's blood is as precious to me as my own. This morning, just before waking, I was having a dream that my dogs and I were going from point A to point B in the face of various geographic challenges. They had some struggles, being shorter than me and all, and I was giving them a boost when needed and never considering any option than that we go as a group.

What is means to me is that I really kind of consider my pets and their welfare as an extension of my self and my own welfare. We all have challenges due to aging. We're meeting them together as a unit. Am I prepared to look after my birds right into old age? Am I prepared to look after them now? We meet our challenges as they come. The answer is the same.
-MissK
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

What a dedicated and caring owner she is, taking the Galah in and adapting its surroundings when needed to ensure better quality of life. Heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time.
Loo :)
Little Buttercup

Missk, you don't have to go to facebook to read that. Just click on the link. I also don't have facebook.

Ash
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Same here, no Facebook. Don't know why but I just hate it :x
"Live with parrots and you learn to panic"

AlphaWolf
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

It's great to see so many members of the no Facebook party here!
MissK

Post by MissK »

It doesn't stop there! I'm not a member of so many places it's easier just to say I'm a member here. :lol:
-MissK
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Caring for my bird when he gets old? Probably. Adapting to his needs most likely. I keep having dreams about him being injured. Last night I dreamed I left him in a hot car and he was barely alive when I found him. I assume this means I am either very concerned with his general well being or i'm just really worried he's gonna get hurt.

A few years ago my cat was hit by a car and her hip was broken. I made her a little tent to hide in and gave her food and water through a syringe for a few days. I even modified a handicapped litter box that she could crawl into and not have to step up and over.

Doing things like that makes me believe that I will adapt to my bird's needs as he ages. I also have not read the article posted, but only because i'm on a mobile device at the moment. :)
Little Buttercup

Thats good of you, being caring and concerned about them, Donovan.

I still can't understand why Missk can't read that link, because I too am not a member :?

Ash
MissK

Post by MissK »

No, no. It's not that I can't read it. Just while I was waiting and waiting for it to load, and I saw "facebook" on the bottom of the screen, I just said, "Well, heck with this" and I bailed.
-MissK
Little Buttercup

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

Ash
Melika

Post by Melika »

Thanks for posting this! It's full of wonderful ideas to spark the imagination when the time comes for making all these changes.

I still have years and years with Hane before these become real issues, but good to prepare the mind in advance. Told my husband how old Hane was recently, and he was happy, "You mean he's already one-third dead?!" Hane isn't his favourite creature lol.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay