I need answers on taming

Moderator: Mods

kailyn

I need answers on taming

Post by kailyn »

Surrey-20131121-01434.jpg
I have had my female yellow R ing neck for a Week her name is Lemon ......She is nice but not tame she will eat a treat from my hand but she runs if I get to close she's gentle and randomly will let me hold her or give her a scratch and just yesterday I got a green male and he is little less tame then she is its hard to get them in the cage sometimes cause I'm doing this thing where I will not grab them ..He trys to scare me away by biting I I don't move lol.. and they are scared of hands so I've been sticking my hand in their cage few times a day and I would like them to not run away and to step up my finger and I want them to let me pet them lol sometimes they will go on a perch that I hold to them ... I need a variety of ways step by step or not it's fine either way of ways to tame my birdies any tips would help as well I would appreciate everything and anything you can tell me...

PS. Also if any one knows some names for a male green ringneck that would help I'm stumped

ThankYou
Attachments
Surrey-20131121-01436.jpg
AlphaWolf

Re: I need answers on taming

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hello Kailyn,
I'am sure someone will come to help. About names there is practically hundreds you can choose. I chose for my green IRN Aero. Look at the characteristics of your bird.
Here are some examples: Jade, Irvin, Berilo, Kiwi, Willow, Clover, Emerald, Peridot, Sage, Holly... the list goes on. Good luck with your bird.
"Live with parrots and you learn to panic"

AlphaWolf
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

kailyn wrote:
Surrey-20131121-01434.jpg
she's gentle and randomly will let me hold her or give her a scratch PS. Also if any one knows some names for a male green ringneck that would help I'm stumped

ThankYou
You have no idea but his is a great start! I have NEVER been allowed to scritch my baby and hes 7 and a half months old now lol. Keep doing what you're doing, giving treats is the best way to get them to see you are the bringer of good stuff.

No-one can really tell you what to name your bird but I like to use the flying subject, my first IRN was called Biggles, and my baby is called Doodlebug, because that was the name given to a particular bomb during the war, and he does drop some dirty bombs of his own!

Good luck :)
Loo :)
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hi,
I really don't think it is a good idea to stick your hand in the cage if it scares them. It would be terrifying to be a little bird, stuck in a cage and with some one shoving a scarey hand in there and you can't get away!
I suggest finding out what their favourite and offering them these treats, so they can choose to approach the hand when they want to.
I did that with my new bird and she responded brilliantly, she is now pretty easy to catch anywhere in the house and she has been fully flighted the whole time.

If you search the term "taming" on this forum, you will find heaps of information.

Regards,

Claire
Dixie-1

Post by Dixie-1 »

I think Claire is right about not sticking your hand in the cage, I want my birds to consider the cage thier home and a "safe" place to retreat to if needed. Cage door is open if we are home and birds go in and out as they please.
Just takin a break !

AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I named my bird after the jazz singer Billie Holiday. I do not give rewards for behaviour Kailyn and allow Billie to develop slowly, I like to ask her if l can put hand in her cage but mostly l forget, it is best to have a routine when l open her up in the mornings, she sits on the top of the cage looking shell shocked while l clean inside and then l go out and wash all the bowls, when l come back Billie is talking to her image in the mirrow, but she runs across the cage because l offer her a first taste of the seeds in her bowl and then l put it in its bracket and she comes down to eat. And l can finish off the cleaning of her perches.
I have had to suffer various bites trying to go to fast she was quite wild when l first got her. The previuos owner allowed her to fly around all day and then go to sleep where she could, but l cover her up at night. Now she steps up when l put my hand close to her, and she constantly flies to my shoulder.
The best way to get her into the cage is to offer a something new in one of her bowls, she has a seed bowl, a fresh fruit and veg bowl and a cooked food bowl, as well as a water bowl and water bottle. Near bed time she scoffs like there is no tomorrow so l slowly close her cage up first the top and l always ask her is she is ready. Then l close the door and she lets out a polite sqwark when she is ready to be covered up.
A friend came the over day and from experience of her sharp claws he wore a hat but she was intent on biting the zip on his jumper, l went to put my hand out so she could step up and she bit me, so using her perch from the top of the cage as a big stick l gently eased her back into her cage.
They learn very quickly, l have a rash on my hands and Billie's feet agravated it so l eased her onto my cuff and now she sits on my cuff without easing from me.
AJPeter
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Having said the best way to get them into the cage was to offer something new in her bowls but l take that back the best way is to lift her off where ever she is an just put her on a perch inside the cage. Then slam all all the doors shut before she can get out again!
AJPeter
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Ok, I am just going to clarify what AJPeters has written here, as it is rather misleading and probably not helping anyone in currrent form.
He actually does use rewards. He puts Billies favourite food in her dish to lure her to where he wants her to go. This is a very effective way of moving a bird.

This will not immediately work on a completely untame bird, as the bird first has to learn to associate the process of food being put into the dish. If the bird is very wild, it may not come to the dish to eat while you are present. If you put food in the dish and leave the room immediately it will probably discover the food in the dish quite quickly.
After the bird has learnt to associate what you are doing with treats going into the dish, it will start to approach the dish more rapidly. Provided you do nothing to scare it, it will probably start eating in your presence.

As for slamming the cage doors as soon as the bird is in there... if your bird is scared of you NEVER EVER slam the door when it is in the cage. It will remember the big fright it got! Always close the door softly and gently. A bird should always feel safe in it's cage!

There are plenty of ways to avoid being bitten. The first thing to do is recognise the signs that the bird is upset, BEFORE it has to bite you, when you see those signs back off. The more you listen to those signals, the more benefit of the doubt your bird will give you.
If the bird knows that warning signals don't work on you, it will stop using them and bite you as soon as it feels threatened.

Those warning signals are your bird trying to talk to you! If you were trying to talk to someone who will not listen to you at all, you would soon give up talking to them. You might start yelling or hitting them or you might walk away. Your bird will try to make it's point by flying away, if it can, or biting!

Parrots need to communicate, be listened to and to be understood. They are gregarious creatures, just like us. If you listen to their language they will tell you about how they feel, what they are thinking about, what they want to do, what they like and what they don't like.
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

InTheAir wrote:Ok, I am just going to clarify what AJPeters has written here, as it is rather misleading and probably not helping anyone in currrent form.
He actually does use rewards. He puts Billies favourite food in her dish to lure her to where he wants her to go. This is a very effective way of moving a bird.

This will not immediately work on a completely untame bird, as the bird first has to learn to associate the process of food being put into the dish. If the bird is very wild, it may not come to the dish to eat while you are present. If you put food in the dish and leave the room immediately it will probably discover the food in the dish quite quickly.
After the bird has learnt to associate what you are doing with treats going into the dish, it will start to approach the dish more rapidly. Provided you do nothing to scare it, it will probably start eating in your presence.

As for slamming the cage doors as soon as the bird is in there... if your bird is scared of you NEVER EVER slam the door when it is in the cage. It will remember the big fright it got! Always close the door softly and gently. A bird should always feel safe in it's cage!

There are plenty of ways to avoid being bitten. The first thing to do is recognise the signs that the bird is upset, BEFORE it has to bite you, when you see those signs back off. The more you listen to those signals, the more benefit of the doubt your bird will give you.
If the bird knows that warning signals don't work on you, it will stop using them and bite you as soon as it feels threatened.

Those warning signals are your bird trying to talk to you! If you were trying to talk to someone who will not listen to you at all, you would soon give up talking to them. You might start yelling or hitting them or you might walk away. Your bird will try to make it's point by flying away, if it can, or biting!

Parrots need to communicate, be listened to and to be understood. They are gregarious creatures, just like us. If you listen to their language they will tell you about how they feel, what they are thinking about, what they want to do, what they like and what they don't like.
Right from Nila's mouth :D Follow what Claire said and you are good to go. Just want to add, don't go tooo slow as it can be reminiscent to a stalking predator but not too fast. Between the two is perfect. And never slam that door, a big no no no.
"Live with parrots and you learn to panic"

AlphaWolf
MissK

Post by MissK »

I have to note that if the bird does not want to be handled, you should not pick it up under any circumstance other than to protect it from imminent danger. To do so would violate any trust the bird might have, and surely damage your taming progress. I would expect it to lead to biting as well.

To recage my untame bird, from the first week, I used a food lure. I did try the grab-and-stuff method when I was impatient, and paid the price. I didn't know any better, so I hope you benefit from my mistake. Be sure there is plenty of time before you let the bird out. Don't leave it out so long that returning to the cage becomes a new idea - start small and work your way up. You can always let the bird out, rehouse it, and let it out again.

When you place your food lure, make sure of a few things -
1) the bird really likes that food
2) the bird sees you place the lure and understands it can just go get that food
3) you stand back far enough that the bird doesn't have to "brave up" enough to get past you
4) place the lure far enough inside the cage that when the bird is inside eating the food, you can GENTLY walk up and close the door
5) use enough food that it takes the bird a while to eat it, so is still eating once the door is shut. Thus the food is also a reward for going home
6) doesn't hurt to seal the deal with another nice treat once it's home safely
-MissK
kailyn

Post by kailyn »

She will only fly to my head and try to dig her beak in my ear. ....I let them out from when I wake up til I go to sleep and Iwould only sstick my hand in a little and not move it so they could see my hand isn't out to get them lol if I take one in the other room it will sit with me but the male not very well.. and that is why I don't crab them cause that would make them panic.....I just need to know how to stop the biting and want them to step up to my hand and so I could play with them I want to bond with them they don't like each other.....yet I hope they have been together 2 weeks they are 8 anda half months old how do iI stop the insanely loud noise they make hahaha and is there a way to teach them to talk or do they just do it on their own :? I just need something that I can start doing with them I want them tame but I'm worried I'm taking to long to figure it out they run away when they see my hand but if I use a perch stick I can get them on that sometimes I can hand them treats and they will take it from my hand ...
Attachments
Surrey-20131121-01437.jpg
Surrey-20131121-01430-1.jpg
Surrey-20131121-01430-1.jpg (36.58 KiB) Viewed 1935 times
Surrey-20131121-01433.jpg
Surrey-20131121-01428.jpg
Surrey-20131121-01428.jpg (31.64 KiB) Viewed 1935 times
Surrey-20131203-01493.jpg
Surrey-20131203-01493.jpg (25.71 KiB) Viewed 1935 times
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I am sorry l missed the replies to my earlier statement/

[quote="AJPeter"]" Then slam all all the doors shut before she can get out again!"

It was meant in a joking way, not really slam but close the door and the top as quickly as posiible but Alphwolf and Intheair are right, do not slam the door my apologies for my misleading commnet.

AJPeter