PLEASE help, I think Dudes might be ill?

Moderator: Mods

Doodlebug

PLEASE help, I think Dudes might be ill?

Post by Doodlebug »

So earlier I popped home between jobs to let Dudes out. He came out normally, flew to me for some cornflakes and drank a bit of milk out of my bowl and immediately lost all his energy?

He suddenly sat very still, I thought he was listening to something. He just sat there and sat there, fluffed himself up. I knew something was wrong when he let me touch him?? I stroked his tail, then he let me stroke his back, then the back of his neck. I thought I'd better video this in case no-one believes that this was happening. So he let me video me stroking him. His poops are like water, this all happened about an hour ago and now hes got his energy back and I'm pretty sure if I went to touch him again he'd bite.

Not sure if this will work but will post the link to the video I uploaded to Google/whats left of Picasa (anyone know another hosting site we can link to?) so if it doesn't work can someone advise me how to do it?

Excuse my baby voice but I couldn't quite believe he was letting me do this :o

<table style="width:194px;"><tr><td ali ... r></table>

Edit* Maybe this link will work? https://picasaweb.google.com/1116385430 ... directlink
Loo :)
Doodlebug

Re: PLEASE help, I think Dudes might be ill?

Post by Doodlebug »

Yep he definately won't let me touch him again, I just tried lol.

Was it the milk? He doesn't usually drink the milk but today for some reason he enjoyed quite a bit of it.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Milk is really bad for birds. They lack the enzymes needed to break down the lactose. He most likely had an upset stomach, especially if it was cold, and it needed to work its way through his system.
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Thanks so much for your reply!

I had no idea that milk was that bad :( But now I know I shan't be letting him have any more. Boy is he going to miss drinking my lukewarm tea, as soon as I come into the room with my mug he goes crazy lol.

The silver lining to my panic cloud was getting to stroke him finally, he let me do it a little this afternoon too, I'm now hoping upon hope he will remember that it felt ok and I didn't hurt him so maybe he will let me again. Fingers crossed :)

Thanks for letting me know about the milk, I feel terrible about it.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Maybe you can make a special Ringneck Tea out of something he can have safely. Is Mint OK for birds? Mint tea can be lovely. Just skip the milk and sugar, make it weak. How about Chamomile for birds?
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Not sure about mint...but chamomile definitely :D

sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Why not give soya or almond milk a try?. I use soya milk and it tastes fine.
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Thanks guys for all your suggestions :) I'm not a fan of mint tea so thats a no-no, but I've not tried camomile. Soya milk is a good idea, that way we can all still enjoy the same taste :)
MissK

Post by MissK »

Consider making him his own special cup?
-MissK
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Loo :o Mint tea is the best, how could you not like it. I hope Doodlebug will be fine and sure that it was quite a scare :) . Give a treat to dudes for me.
"Live with parrots and you learn to panic"

AlphaWolf
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

sounds like you just caught him at a good time
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie likes cornflakes dipped in water not stirred, although with the colder days l have been having porridge and she has missed out on cornflakes. She did attempt once to come on my cereal plate l was so startled l stood up holding the bowl and dribbling milk all over the place but she has lone gone.
Why give them foods you are not sure aboout are you hoping to be the first to prove that this food kills ringnecks? Cornflakes contain iron and there is enough iron a bowl of cornflakes for a human's daily requirement, ringnecks cannot deal with iron, l thought there is iron in fresh greens and if she does not eat those then a few cornflakes would be all right.
If you could see the inside of my tea pot you would not give tea to them either. Billie often comes and helps me make coffee if she could she would dive into the coffee jar she would she loves the smell, but no way will l give her any. If doodlebugs if you are not a fan of mint tea you certainly will not like camomile it tastes of stewed blotting paper.
AJPeter
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Peter...I don't believe loo meant any harm towards dudes. Our feathered friends are highly inquisitive. And if I'm correct, loo thought like most do, that if it was bad for her bird he wouldn't bother to eat it in the first place. Unfortunately that's not the case. We must play warden with our birds when it comes to food because as I've said before, they are like forever toddlers...putting anything and everything in their mouths :D loo loves her bird and I'm sure has learned her lesson.

Kimma

Post by Kimma »

Glad to hear Dudes is feeling better.

And for image hosting, here are some other options...

http://imageshack.us/
http://imgur.com/
http://www.flickr.com/
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

MissK wrote:Consider making him his own special cup?
Actually I think my partner finds me a bit crazy when Dudes does the whole 'yawn, neck stretch I'm thirsty' thing, I jump up, get his special egg cup and fill it with a drink for him! For some reason it doesn't seem to occur to Dudes he can go home whenever he likes to get a drink...
AlphaWolf wrote:Loo :o Mint tea is the best, how could you not like it. I hope Doodlebug will be fine and sure that it was quite a scare :) . Give a treat to dudes for me.
Thanks Alpha, yes it was frightening but will not be repeating it thats for sure.
AJPeter wrote:are you hoping to be the first to prove that this food kills ringnecks?
:shock: Good Lord no :cry:
Skyes_crew wrote:Peter...I don't believe loo meant any harm towards dudes. loo loves her bird and I'm sure has learned her lesson.
Thanks Skyes_crew, I do love him dearly and would NEVER forgive myself if something happened to him. Never shall milk or dairy products pass his beak again. I am going to buy special soya milk to have in his special tea in his special egg cup :)

Thanks guys, it was an awful experience but you live and learn, well, Dudes lives and I sure have learnt.
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

And thank you to Kimma, I'm not sure what's happening to Picasa but it's annoying, just when I got the hang of it! I feel so old, today my 73 year old dad comes over, and he knows more about laptops than I do, oh the shame. Especially when it was me who talked him into buying one and sat and showed him how to use it!! :oops:
MissK

Post by MissK »

I used to feel so inadequate when I noted my 80-some year old neighbor takes better care of her lawn than I do of mine. But, then I thought about how much time she doesn't spend at work 6 days a week, and how she just about never leaves her place, and how she comes out and works a little, goes inside, works a little more, goes inside. Then I felt better.

Maybe Dad has a little more free time to monkey with that computer than you do, or maybe he just likes it better than you like it!

Have a peek at Photobucket. I use it so infrequently I'm on my second user ID (passwords, seriously...). But it seems OK.

I'm glad Doodlebug is fine, too. Maybe your partner doesn't realize how rewarding it is to spoil the pet and have that nice little interaction. I'm b etting Dudes can go right back home for a drink whenever he wants. I'm betting he isn't doing it because you are more convenient and more fun!
-MissK