Emerald underwing patches

Moderator: Mods

Mikesringnecks

Emerald underwing patches

Post by Mikesringnecks »

Ben posted a pic to start the thread on the emerald par blue debate. That pic showed a yellow pigment patch under the wing next to the body that Ben says he sees as a "cream".
I have nearly all cleartail emeralds, and whilst I haven't inspected all of them, the Dark EmeraldBlue Cleartails do show an enhanced yellow patch under the wing next to the body.
My mature EmeraldBlue split cleartail hen shows no such patch and I have a photo E-mailed from a breeder friend (Dave Bassett), of a mature Jack Smith EmeraldBlue, that also shows no sign of the patch.
Any ideas?
PS I don't know how to post Dave's photo and I haven't taken one of my hen yet.
Kind regards
Mike
trabots

Re: Emerald underwing patches

Post by trabots »

Mike, you had me worried but here they are, all Emeralds not CHCT or anything else and from different clutches. If you are talking about real yellow spots then that is a different issue. I am confirming that you can tell a Violet EmeraldBlue or any other Blue coloured bird if it is Emerald by looking under the wing for pale yellow rather than pure white that a Blue bird has.

Violet EmeraldBlue
Deep EmeraldBlue
EmeraldBlue
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Aaron's bird, pic taken indoors so the cream color is more vibrant/visible.

http://parakeet.me/irn/m/PA255755.JPG

Pic taken of my grey emerald before breeding season, even in flight you can spot the cream underwing.
http://parakeet.me/irn/f/emergrnfl.jpg

I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

The 2 pics below are from Mike.

Mike you can comment on the pics if you like.

I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

The underwing patches seems much more evident than the "yellow socks" I always try and find in photos. Great catch, guys. Will be reading this post with great interest.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Johan,

It is the 1st thing i check for emerald, esp. in violet

I even posted on Petlink a Tip of how to identify the emeralds.

We should keep this thread updated when we can take pics of emeralds + other mutations to see if the patch is fairly consistent, say in pieds etc.

I'm an Explorer
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

In emerald grey CT is also very visible as per photo on this website:

http://www.ourringnecks.com/apps/photos ... =153435106
I'm an Explorer
trabots

Post by trabots »

Come on Lee, you can't just say you bred something weird without telling us what the parents were and provide an image of the bird.
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

molossus wrote:Willy the images are on their way. parents are emerald turq blue dom pied to cobalt violet blue.
interestingly the pin feather lines on the rump to tail look violet.
Lee, it will be interesting to see how this little one feathers out in the next few weeks. Do you have a cobalt emerald to compare with it? And have you bred an emerald chick from the cock to ensure it is in fact carrying both emerald and turquoise, rather than a strange turquoise expression? It would certainly add fuel to the emerald discussion, breeding an emerald turquoiseblue from an emerald turquoiseblue dom pied. Time will tell.