Travel cage fear

Moderator: Mods

ranechild

Travel cage fear

Post by ranechild »

This morning I was hanging out with Fats a little before work. He was talking and responding to me and having fun on the top of his cage. I had to convince him to step up with an oat groat... it's because he knows I'm going to put him in the cage and go to work. so i thought, let's take him somewhere other than in his cage.

I thought, let's practice going in the travel cage since we are going to take the birdies on a trip to family's house on Thanksgiving. So we went in the spare bedroom, I got the cage on the spare bed. I had a little trouble getting Fats to step up off my shoulder, so I leaned over to dump him on the bed so I could get him to step up. I was also having trouble getting the cage door open. Fats was fluttering all over the room. He was scared. I got him in the cage and he was thrashing a bit. I talked to him soothingly and told him he was a good boy, but his demeanor was 180 degrees from just a few minutes earlier. He seems totally un-tame in that travel cage. Or as least as untame as the day I brought him home in that cage.

my plan is to practice going in the travel cage a few times this week and everyday next week... Will he get better at this? I already worry about his trust in me sometimes... I don't want him to start hating me, but we need him to get comfortable in that cage. It just breaks my heart to see the fear in his eyes clutching to the side of that cage. He was flying away from me when I got him out... he wanted nothing to do with me.

Be sure he got an almond for being a good boy, poor thing.
MissK

Re: Travel cage fear

Post by MissK »

Hey. I think what you have here is too much too soon. Rocky has to be lured into the travel cage. It's harder than you might think, because he DOES know the score. For us, it hinges on the super stellar high value treat. Also, I let him hang out in the area of the travel cage and play on top it, without ever shutting the door.

Unfortunately, Fats now has a big, giant freak out to associate with the travel cage. Why not give him a day or two rest, and then introduce that cage into the living room. Let it sit there so he can get used to it. Over time, see if you can get him to perch on it, stick his head inside for a great treat, etc. Let Camo go inside and get some treats. Do not shut the door behind him until you think he's really, really ready.

Once he is ready for you to shut the door, just do it for a second, treat, and open. Repeat till everybody's sick of that and gradually increase the shut door time. Be crazy generous with the BEST treats when he is inside. You also might ty moving him - let's go in. OK, now let's come out. Repeat.

GOOD LUCK!
-MissK
pattiB

Post by pattiB »

This is what my next major thing to work on is. Thanks for posting! And thanks for responding. Hope things come together better and quickly for you. :wink:
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Cyrano was like that too. Unfortunately I wasn't prepared and kind of dumped him in the first time. I had to regroup and start all over. Now he associates it with going to parrot club meetings so he's all about going in, but it's the whole planning it out factor that they appreciate :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

ranechild

Post by ranechild »

Poor Fats. He turns into a scared and untame bird anytime he sees that cage. My boyfriend put him in it once this weekend and Fats just panicked.

Last night I brought the other cage out to the dining room table so he could see it. He went beserk and started thrashing in his regular cage. He wouldn't even take a treat from me.

This morning he seems ok. He was talking and playing, but he wouldn't step up to go back in the cage-- and held out for a bigger treat than the one I was initially offering him. Maybe tonight we'll have him play on top of the travel cage.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Suggest you place the travel cage where he can see it from his cage, but as far away as needs be for him to to be excited. Move it progressively closer and hope it gets close enough in your time limit. When it's fairly close, say where Camo's cage is, see if he will go anywhere near and start throwing in those great treats. If Camo will enter the cage, send him in and throw a party. Fats might just need that reassurance of seeing Camo live through the experience.

Side note on the miraculous benefit of letting the IRN take reassurance from others - You know I just brought home two new Budgies. I've been having them on my open, flat palm. Rocky's been watching. Guess who's always been afraid of an open hand? Guess who's standing on the open, flat palm eating bribery today? :D

See if Camo can lead the way.
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Try draping a towel over it to conceal what it is and cover it with his favorite toys and treats. Then over the course of a few days of that, start folding back the towel a little at a time until he's playing on top of it with no concerns :D

ranechild

Post by ranechild »

So, the day is drawing near for the big trip and I'm still uncomfortable with the cage situation.
My boyfriend has determined our course of action--I just hope it works. Camo doesn't mind going in Fats' travel cage. Fats doesn't mind going in Camo's cage. When we get to North Carolina, there will be a few cages to choose from as alternatives. So, Fats will use Camo's cage, Camo will use Fats' cage and then Fats will hopefully get a new travel cage that he likes better once we get there and Camo will get his cage back.
I have a sinking, horrifying feeling that this 8 to 9 hour car trip is going to be a squawking hell. We are taking a break in the middle, driving half on day and half the next. I just hope Fats and Camo don't get too stressed out.

I think we need to do a practice run tonight.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Wait, why can't they just swap cages forever?

Caution: If you have to use this plan and you don't have any other back-up plan, reconsider the trial run. What if the trial run is not good? Then you will still have to use your plan, but the birds will have a heads-up that they're going to hate it.

Yes? No?

Good luck, either way!

And do you want to borrow my 18" cube cage that Rocky uses?
-MissK
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

Honestly, I was going to ask if you have a cage that I could see if Fats doesn't hate. I'll call tonight.
MissK

Post by MissK »

I'll get it out for you. I'm home tonight (Monday) but I'll be out of the house by 1pm Tuesday. Still, might could put it on the porch.
-MissK
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

I'll pop over tonight... I'd bring Fats for a visit, but he doesn't like his travel cage :)
MissK

Post by MissK »

HAHAHAHAHAHA! :lol:
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Hence the need to borrow one :lol:

ranechild

Post by ranechild »

Thanks a bunch MissK! Fats actually enjoyed the trip. He met his first dog--which he got used to after a while. He met some budgies....

He actually kind of enjoyed the car ride. He talked into his food dish, spent alot of time with one foot on a ring shaped swing and the other on the side of the cage.

the four of us had kissy noise competitions... Camo, then Fats, then my boyfriend, then me... repeat!

I'll clean up the cage and probably bring it by tonight if you are free.
MissK

Post by MissK »

That's fine. I'm here all night unless I sleep early. Wishful thinking. It never happens.
If you don't come tonight, you can come whenever and just drop it in the bushes at the side of the porch, so it's kind of hidden, and give me a call or email to let me know. Either way is totally fine.

I'm really glad you all had a good trip!!!!
-MissK