Parrot Speak

Moderator: Mods

Skyes_crew

Re: Parrot Speak

Post by Skyes_crew »

Ahhh...don't rip up parrot speak!!! You'll never forgive yourself. I'm not sure if there is a limit to you're writing. I've seen threads go on for 8 pages so I don't think so.

How does Billie act in front of the mirror?
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Before she got up real close and talked to her reflection, at times shreiking when she got no reply, at other times she just sat there burbling, I meant to say that when l rub her neck she purrs like a cat! Some times l look over her shoulder and she can see me in the mirror but this seems to up set her.

There is a panel on the left that says not more than 60,000 characters with five to a word that means 12,000 words, l think it is 250 words to a page so that would give 48 pages! :o :D

AJPeter
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

She's in love with herself :D and she's protecting herself from you :lol: sometimes those mirrors can be tricky objects.

When you get to 48 pages we will just have to continue on with parrot speak part deux :D

Donovan

Post by Donovan »

some birds have their best chirping sessions in front of a mirror. Mine just touches beaks with his reflection and opens his wings a little, stretches his neck, pins his eyes, and has one single loud chirp.

A cool thing I noticed recently was him doing the same thing to his shadow on the wall.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Some days are diamonds! :D
Me and my shadow! That's WOW Donovan thank you sharing that and do not worry skye l will be long gone before l fill up 48 pages, Today has been a good day no biting and no screaming well not much l bought a plasric bowl and l was going to put veg in it but this cage came with three bowls and the plastic bowl became surplus to requirements until l hit on the idea of putting it above her seed bowl and if she wants too poop she can poop in that. She sits on the top opening and poops but the poop is a bit close to her bowl and only missed her bowl by a millimetre however l did notice today she stuck her bottom out and so the poop cleared her bowl handsomely.
I think l should have asked her permission before l put the bowl into her cage she stared at me and sqawked several times so l took it out and it was okay after that. She let me lift her down when she flew to my head while l was playing the organ and she set out to bite all the teeth off the zip on my jumper, she made a half hearrted attempt to go down my arm but gave up when l raised my arm.
We bother tuttered as 7 Trent were digging up the road and driving their vehicles into our close. But the real change came at breakfast (1 pm) when Billie did not come to the top of the door for her cornflakes, she on ate one half and spat the other half out and she only had a lick or two of the orange. I thought she might be off colour but she eats liker a horse and at dinner time she scoffed two mange tout peas and a sugar snap pea, half a carrot slice, a bean l think it was a has bean, some brocoli, she chewed on some cabbage and sat for some time with spinach in her beak tasting it, all these were cooked! I told her mushrooms and these roots are out they bad for you and she took me at my word.
She likes to tour the bowls first seeds in one bowl then left overs in another bowl then a drink of water and then the corn cob hanging up l offered her some cuttlefish bone and she ate that too. Does any one think it might be a fantassy pregnancy? There was an apple slice in her veg bowl and she ate that but yesterday she did not touch the cheese l put in and so today I left it out.
It is a bit chilly in her corner and she likes to sit on the back of my armchair soaking up the heat from the gas fire and she came and snuggled up to my cheek which l thought was rather sweet, in the morning l give her a grape and in the afternoon l make a foot toy for her. She flies to the cage door and watches me intently as l roll up some millet spray into a corner of an envelope and sometimes l stuff this into a cardboard box but she does not like anything too difficult.
I aked her to go into her cage far too early tonight and had to open the cage door after dinner but for some time she sat in her cage sifting through her seeds but did condescent to come out but only to poop on my carpet and then she went back. And at 7 pm she called me to cover her up.
AJPeter
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Breeding season is approaching Peter. It makes them act a little odd sometimes. In the wild they gorge on food all summer long. When it starts to turn cold and the food is scarce they slow down their eating and their activity. Sometime around January she will begin to feel a bit randy. :D

AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hi, have to say that I love this thread. I think that Peter is a real bird whisperer! :D :D :D
"Live with parrots and you learn to panic"

AlphaWolf
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Randy? Well thank you Alphawolf for your kind remarks and as for randy in January Skye l think Billie has started early l caught her swooning in front of the mirrow this morning, like a snake in a trance she was thinking of Turkish delight.
This is when the bored typist in an office dreams that a young hansdsome turk will ride up on his black stallion and whisk her away on his horse to a new life. The only time l have shared a horse was with my sister when her nappies hung on one side and my tee shitrts on the other side of the clothes horse in front of the living room fire. Where we we?
Oh yes! Turkish delight, l wanted to stroke Billie but all she could see were her own relfection and this handsome young green parrot and my finger so she egged him to have go at my finger, so l hastily with drew my offer.
We had a lovely time together before l had to go out and when l got back it was time for breakfast. Yesterday she turned up her nose at cornflakes but she came and sat on top of her door so l thought she wanted to try again, l fed her three dipped and shaken but not stirred cornflakes but on the last she looked over her shoulder at the reflection and bit me again. No provocation!
The last time she bit me l told her that the next would be the last she would see of her mirror, because in the three days it has been hanging up she has bitten me three times drawing blood on two occaisons, this time l was so shocked l took my porridge out into the kitchen and l could hear her crowing, then l went back and took the orange as well now she was grinning on the other side of her face, but when l came back and took the mirror and replaced it with the picture of the bridge too far it was me that was crowing. Now l know why they are called wring necks because people feel like wringing their necks! Sometimes.
Neither of us said a word to each other all afternoon but at dinner time but when l started to lay out the table she asked me very nicely if she could have the mirror back and when l said no she was very upset if looks could kill than l would be dead by now! However when l dished up the dinner she sat very close on her cage door and wanted to share off my plate first a cooked carrot that was too hot too handle and then all sorts of vergeatables all steamed, some she ate and some she spat out, it is a good job l put newspaper on the floor because it was beginnig to look worse than the baazar in Calcutta which was known as the black hole.
I left her out for as long as l could but at 6.45 pm l said "Ready or not Bed!" And she meekly went in.
AJPeter
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

i have been reading the posts on biting all over again and maybe it is me that is at fault to have a corn flake stuffed up your nose can be very threatening, but even so although l like the mirrow in her corner as it brightens up a dark area l am glad l have taken it out and put back my painting.
The critical test will be in the next three days is she bites me three time drawing blood tiwce then l will know it is not the mirror and she can have it back but if on the other hand peace and tranquilty return the bridge will remain. Sort of thing.
I am a bit confused by all this negative and positive stuff there is nothing like plain language at least l know where l stand and l am sure she does as well. It is not what is said but the way it said that matters.
AJPeter
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

This morning Bilie asked me very nicely if she could have the mirror back and l steeled my heart and said No! So we had a battle royal she gave me a half nelson. "Thanks!" And a chinese burn "WOW" but when she offered a triple thumb screw l had a rear guard action. When a l got back l capitulated. We agreed she could have her mirror back on conditon she did not bite me well not until the next time, we aslo agreed that she would not eat her food outside the cage unless l fed her when whe was outside the cage and then it would be my fault if she dopped the left overs on the floor.
She has been very good all day flyiing several times to my shoulder but it was very noticeable that her cage aggression had increased she would not allow me to stroke her in the cage area. Do other people find their birds are more aggressive with a mirror near by?
The trick is to keep my fingers out of her mouth!
AJPeter
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

It's usually preferable to keep fingers away from their mouths :D

Mirrors often cause cage aggression. Especially if she assumes she's protecting a cage mate. I think you may have to be a bit stronger and say no to Billie. She will just have to get used to her bridge scene :mrgreen:

MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi AJ,
I am a bit confused by all this negative and positive stuff there is nothing like plain language at least l know where l stand and l am sure she does as well. It is not what is said but the way it said that matters.
I've taken the liberty of posting a link to a Wiki article on Operant Conditioning that I did not actually bother to read. It looks fine as I skimmed it. I think this will help you, as well as others, get a grip on "all this negative and positive stuff"! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant_conditioning
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

That is a bit too high brow for me MissK and thank you Melisa, but Billie and l had had an interesting day. l do think that in some ways you are right Billie's cage aggression has increased alarmingly but she sat on the cage door out of sight of the mirror and enjoyed some corn flakes and some fresh orange. Then I went out to Church and crept back in when l got back home and found Billie was talking to her mirror, however later she flew to the back of my chair and enjoyed a neck scratch there. She had a few treats a grape and a foot toy which she took graciously from her cage door.
She tried to have a bath in her water cup but it is even smaller than her previous cage l have put a dish on the grid in her cage and and she condescended to stand in it but she persists in trying to get water out of her water bowl. Of course l spray her. I bought some Johnson's tree oil it smells lovely she gets a squirt of that after her water spray. I did not use the hair drier becasue the novelty of it has worn off.
I cooked our favourite meal Shepherd's pie and put some in her bowl a few tidbits, also some fresh veg and corn cob hanging up. She attacked my hand when l put the corn cob into her cage but scratching one end of her perch she ran to attack my hand there and quickly l hung the corn cob up on the opposite side of the cage, we had a little game where l scratched on end of her perch and she ran to attack my hand and l dropped that out of sight while l scratched the other end of her perch and of course she ran back soon the was runing back forth l am sure she burnt off a lot of calories as she has lately looked a little plump.
She sat on her door while l ate my dinner and it is only about 6 inches from my shoulder she watched intently as each spponful went my way and then she reached out and sat on my shoulder so she could be closer to the action. If she coud she would have eaten off my spoon but l kept my head turned, but as l got to the end on my plate she became quite agitated and started to tut and then it was gone and she had none.
I had not put her way at the usual time and l was a bit worried she would play up but she went in when l asked her with no problem and tried the food in all the bowls before letting me know at 7 pm she wanted to go to sleep and be covered up. So it has been a good day, no biting no screaming, a neck scratch given, a flypast and sitting on my head and allowing me to lift her down onto my shoulder. And all with out positive or negative training!
AJPeter
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Aj, the really interesting thing about "training" is that in every interaction between you and Billie you are unconciously sending her signals that reinforce or decrease the behaviour she is showing at the time. She learns what she can do to obtain the result she wants whether you are trying to teach it to her or not.
Every interaction tells the bird something.
There are many things that encourage a parrot besides food, I think Nila likes hearing laughter as he tends to repeat interactions we have that result in me laughing. He also laughs when my boyfriend and I are telling each other funny stories and laughing ourselves and that makes us laugh harder.

The flip side is that unconcious reinforcement can be why behaviours like screaming and agression seems to commonly become a "problem" in pet parrots.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi AJPeter

As Claire said, you are always "training" your bird with every interaction and you are using the various forms of training mentioned whether you are doing it unconsciously or consciously... just as your bird is constantly "training" you. I'm sorry if the theory seems a bit scary. I'm not very competent with the terminology myself, I do find it confusing. However, the idea is that it gives you a language that can help you understand your interactions with your bird. I possibly shouldn't have introduced it into the conversation when I did as it seems like it may have confused more than it helped...
AJPeter wrote:she ran back soon the was runing back forth l am sure she burnt off a lot of calories as she has lately looked a little plump.
I don't think you can tell whether a bird is "plump" by looking at them because they sometimes ruffle up their feathers and that makes them look bigger. Our vet said that it is very rare for parrots to overeat, they will just eat the wrong foods if you give them too much stuff that is high and fat or sugar. We found an escaped pet Alexandrine earlier in the year and he looked quite fat to me. We caught him and took him to a vet who said that he was actually quite thin... he hadn't eaten in some time.
AJPeter wrote: She attacked my hand when l put the corn cob into her cage but scratching one end of her perch she ran to attack my hand there and quickly l hung the corn cob up on the opposite side of the cage, we had a little game where l scratched on end of her perch and she ran to attack my hand and l dropped that out of sight while l scratched the other end of her perch
My personal opinion is that it is a good idea to try to minimise/remove interactions where your bird is trying to attack you. Mine will occasionally try to attack me when I'm putting their food in their cage but I've got a few strategies I use to try and avoid it. Let me know if you'd like more information. MissK has managed to get Rocky completely comfortable with her doing things in his cage. I'm not quite at that level but we don't get too much conflict over cage territoriality any more.

Best wishes.

Ellie.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Peter...next time she runs at you on the perch, scratch the other end and hold a piece of her favorite food there. That should keep her busy long enough to hang her corn :wink:

AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Thank you Claire Ellie and Melisa for you comments. Do not fret Claire just as our birds interrect with us so we are interreacting with each other l think the thing l object to is training with treats although l accept that l train with kind words, and Billie is less agreesive today than yesterday, twice she sat on top of her door and asked me to scratch her neck
and also once she allowed me to scratch her neck as she sat on the door when l asked.
But the thrill today has been that Billie decided to explore the table next to her cage and stepped on a news paper that was hanging over the edge of the table with nothing to support her weight she had a tumble and fled screeching back to the top of her cage. I put my arm out close to her and she showed she was willing to step up by lifting a foot and she came on my arm and ran up to snuggle up to my cheek. She bit my arm last week when l tried that move.
The other thrill was when she came to the back of my chair and wanted a neck scratch but also some where new to poop!
she flew to my shoulder as l played the organ and bit the remaining teeth off the zip on my jumper she did not try and go down my arm but got bored and went back to her cage.
We had Chicken pie and chips with froz vegs tonight and l fed her with items on a tea spoon, She is getting very civilised!
You do not get much chicken in supermarket pies and l got even less as she showed quite a liking for chicken, she did not want chips or pastry, and she liked the cooked corn and peas.
She spun out the bed time for as long she could everytime l looked at her she was watching the TV! She ate everything in sight even dragged sugar snap peas up to her top perch, but eventually at 7.30pm, she called it a day and let me know she wanted to be covered up. It is going to be quite cold tonight 36f so l have left the gas fire on low in the Living room.
AJPeter
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Well done on her stepping up onto your arm. I wish you continued success with her. Nice that she appreciates your organ music too - even though she eventually gets bored. My Charlie doesn't like it when I'm focussing on something other than him, he tends to give me a nip when I read or something just to tell me he wants my attention. :)

Does anyone know anything about bird safety with gas heaters? I live in a warm climate so I don't own one myself.

Ellie.
MissK

Post by MissK »

I have to assume they need to be properly vented to the outside, but that's best for people as well. There are some fancy ones that say they don't have to vent, but I don't know how they would manage that. It would seem suspicious and birdie questionable if it were that kind.

I can say that electric space heaters have been considered a no-no for that teflon stuff inside them. I do have an old one I use sometimes, and no bad things have happened, but it IS a small one, well used before birds came here, and I put it in a different room.

AJ, make sure your gas fire vent has a good draw, not blocked or anything.
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Funny enough l was going to ask about Halogen bar electric fires if they are safe as l double upon the heating.
My landlord is a housing associatioon and the rules are very strict all gas fires have to be checked annually, and he has temporarily fixed the leaking roof it will have to be properly looked at in the summer. Billie has to put up with the drip drip
She was on her todd all morning as l did the weekly shopping today. l left her out but she has not done any damage or pooped in places other than her cage. As soon as l got home she dived into her seed bowl as if there as no tomorrow. Is it not amazing as soon as the shops hang up the "Merry Christmas" signs they double the prices, last week corn cob was a £1 for two sticks and this week it is £1.75!
We had breakfast together she ate 5 corn flakes dipped but not shaken and some fresh orange but when she squeezed the segment too hard the juice ran over her foot and she dropped it pronto. Again she allowed me to give her a neck scratch several times on the cage door although she still is agressive on the top perch. She wanted to share my dinner and sampled all the greens spinach was spat out and the cabbage never got a sniff but she liked the cooked carrot and sugar snap peas. She went in voluntarily at 6.30 and sampled the seed bowl the fresh veg and fruit bowl, the corn cob hanging up then round again. It makes me laugh the number of times she goes round scoffing from each bowl.
Today has been a good day no biting and not much screaming. When she gets on the top of her cage in the mornings l shout "Cock a doodle do!" but she does not understand and starts screeching. My neighbours say they can hear her in the street, it a good job they cannot hear me!
AJPeter
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I was treated today to see a special dance Billie did, she started at one end of the top perch and in sight of the mirror she crouched and ran along the perch with her wings flapping when she got to the end she stood on tip to and stretched her neck up, then she ran back crouched but with out the wing flapping. again when she got to the end of the perch she stood on tip toe before going through the dance again but this time when she got to the end of the perch she saw me looking and pretended that nothing had happened.
After l had cleaned her cage and vacuumed the floor l offered her a water spray but she was not interested. l had to dash down to the doctor to pick up a prescription and when l got back she was trying to have a dip in her water bowl it is only 2" wide l put the grid into her cage and put on it a white cooking utensil, with warm water but she totally ignnorred it and continued to try and skinny dip in her water bowl so l put a sugar free polo mint in the water. She would do anything for a polo but they are bad for her so l do not give her any very often. I showed her the polo before l dropped it into the water and she came down l thought she would get in but oh no she could not reach it with her beak as the water was too deep and it was to far from the edge so she used her brain by hanging on to the bars with her beak she was able to put her foot in the water and reach the polo quickly she picked it up in her foot and transfered it her beak and and then climbed the up the bars to eat it. The mint was wet and is so hard she can only chip bits off it but now she could lick it all over and over and over again. In the end she dropped it.
Then l moved her cage so l could spray her without hitting any electrical items and when she no longer tried to dip in her water bowl l gave her a couple of squirts of Super Plume a tree oil spray.
Later as l was trying to to attach her corn on the cob to the bars of her cage my arm was above her and she reached up and bit my arm l was so startled l pulled my arm back and she still had my jumper in her beak and she was left hanging but she quickly let got and flew back to her cage screeching, that was my fault for taking liberties. We were both startled by this episode. She spun out the going to bed for as long as she could but in the end she had to go in to eat and l slammed all the doors shut. Eventually at 7.30 she was whacked out and wanted to be covered up.
AJPeter
MissK

Post by MissK »

My mother always says to put some little leaf in the water to entice them. Works for Canaries.....
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

NAG NAG NAG Billie has had me running all over the place this morning first the drapes were not tied in the middle then then the mirror was leaning (on a lamp post) and then the net or lace curtains were not pulled back far enough, then she complained that the cage was crooked and the last straw was Why are you not playing the organ?"
And when l sat down she flew to my head and l lifted her down to my shoulder she has exhausted the destruction of the zip on my jumper and set about to go down my arm and have a go at the twinkling lights on the console when the gardeners started their lawn mowers under our window and Bille flew back to her cage and was trembling she went down inside the cage and when l reached over the top she allowed me to scratch her neck normally this is a no go area.
I went back to the organ and she flew to my shoulder and sat snuggled up against my cheek. She sat there for nearly two hours, she seemed to be listening to my version of rock and roll. Some l sang to the words but since l am tone deaf it was not very muisical but she reached round and kissed me on the lips which l thought was very sweet.
She flew back to her cage and l could hear her poop, and l went out to the kitchen to make a coffee and had a quick look to see is she had pooped on my jumper. No she had not!
After a few more tunes she started a song and dance of her own and l realized she wanted breakfast to be served, the usual. she had corn flakes hand fed l had porridge then we shared an orange l gave her some with the peel still attached and she appreciated this as she did not get the juice all over her foot. But l think she has gone off orange and only takes a segment to please me!
After brunch it was time for a doze and about an hour later l awoke and she still had her head tucked under he wing but as soon as l moved she was awake so it was nearly time to make her a foot toy. But first l phoned an avian vet and asked how much will it cost to to her nails cut? £55 but you get you get a free check up as well and have to make an appointment. So it was agreed that as soon as l had found a travelling box l would come with her. The vet is at least 15 miles away so it will be in a cab unless l uses shank's pony I looked at Northern parrots to see how much their travelling boxes were £139 that is more then l paid for her cage! However l saw in a parrot book that a cat box was being used for an amazon and if that is good enough for an amazon then it is good enough for my Billie. It will cost £14, there are so many bills to paid she will have to wait until the new year for her pedicare, unless she allows me to use my nail clippers! Unlikely!!
I found that her box with all the bits for foot toys was nearly empty so l shall have to go and get some more millet seed
tmorrow l might get a cat box a the same time then will come the fun and games to get her to go inside. But on the other claw l might ration out the remaing millet and wait until tuesday the main shopping day.
I prepared for her a dish of her own with fresh vegs and grapes, but she climbed down the cage and onto my arm to get at my cooked food in a bowl l pushed some to the edge and allowed her to eat there, l have this funny feeling l will wake up inside a cage while she is scoffing my porridge. She put herself in and about 40 mins later having eaten everything in sight including some pretend porridge she asker to be covered up.
By the way MissK is that any leaf in her bath water? Do you think l could blind fiold her and lead her up the garden path right into the box?
AJPeter :lol:
MissK

Post by MissK »

My mother always uses a dandelion leaf, but whatever the bird likes should do. :) For getting her into the box, it will be hard until she gets used to it. You might have to just stuff her in if it is critical she go. That would be bad, so only if it *is* critical she goes in. But, meanwhile you can make a game of her going into the box to get some fabulous treat so she can get used to it.
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Maybe you can play a game of hide the foot toy and see if she'll go in after it :D

AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Yes that is a good idea Melisa, l bought the cat travelling box it is ideal Billie watched me put it together she was very interested but would not go near it so l left it on the table near her cage, but she started to get etchy about it being there but l told her it was here to stay and l explained that l would put her in it when l took her to the vets.
This moring she allowed me to stroke her sitting on my arm and l put hand round her wings and gave a squeeze she seemed to like that so l pushed my thumb under her wing and gave her a tickle l thought she was laughing but it was a bridge too far and l got a nip for my inpudence.
Dinner time came and she sampled all my cooked food swede seemed to go down well l left her out and she became more and more difficult screeching l thought she wanted to go to bed l went to take the top perch out and she tried to bite so l had her runnng from each end of the perch to the other. She stood in the centre ready to move quickly the end l was going to move, so l called a truce and offered my nose for a nose rub and she bit my nose. Still it was my fault l sat down and ignorred her screeching and after awhile she went in and l could dismantle the top perch and close up the cage.
Quiite late at 8 15 she wanted to be covered up.
AJPeter
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I take my birds to the vet in cat carriers too. :D

I've been bitten across the nose by my bird when he was young so I know how you feel. Remember to watch her body language before you sacrifice body parts :lol:

AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Yes that is something to remember er l have forgotten your name, it will come to me soon Missyloo l have been playing rock and roll all day. Billie likes rock and roll but does not dance do your birds dance? Can IRNs hear the beat?
Bilie has been good all day especially after her late night now she called for a head scratch every where on my arm in my chair was a good place and l was allowed to stroke her under her wing, and under her beak but the best stroke was on the top of her cage when l used two fingers on each side of her neck she is becoming very trusting and allows me to sqeeze her wings together. I hope this in preparation for when we visit the vet some how l have to get her into the cat box!
I tried a cloth to see if she would allow me to circle her with it but not yet. I have left millet spray in the door way but she does not seem to be interested in that. Do hens make nests?
A funny thing happened this afternoon when l made her toy l just put the millets spray into a wrap of papper and gave it to her but eating some of the spray she dropped it, thinking that it thad slipped out of her grasp l picked it up and gave it back to her but she just dropped it again so l got a paper bag and some card board and made a more complicated toy and she spent a lot of time stripping the card board and paper before getting to the millet spray. I must find something she likes soon as l think she is going off millet spray.
I looked in the pet shop to see if l could buy her a made toy but there was nothing suitable however l am thinking of buying her a soft toy in the shape of a dog to see if she would cuddle up to it. Dinner time she ate cooked peas some rice turned her nose up at beef, some swede and carrot all cooked from a tea spoon she came down my arm but was droppign food on me so l shooed her back to the door, after dinner was over and about 7 pm l closed down the
top of the cage and had to keep my fingers well away from her beak she had a wicked grin on her face so l am not sure whether she sees this as some sort of game. But when she went in l closed her door and she toured the bowls eating from each in turn l kept looking at her and she was watching the TV a David Attenborough film on snakes kept her attenti9on but l thought it was gettingtoo too grueomse when a snake ate a baby bird so switched channels but just before l did l thought she had her eyes closed but it was only a little while she wanted to covered up at 8.30. And so ended a good day. She is developing dark lines above her eyes maybe it is all these late nights!
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Who's been eating my porridge?
Billie knew something was up when l got dressed in the Living Room. "No peeking" l told her but a nod is as good as a wink to a parrot any day. She made a big fuss flying to my head as l struggled into a vest and then she almost disappeared down the sleeve of my shirt, but as she balanced on my head l was able to pull on some trousers then she helped me tie my tie and discovered she could have a crafty bite at one of my pearl buttons then l played the organ and she came and sat on my shoulder, but eventuually it was time to go and she gave one last despairing screech which broke my heart and that was that.
I forgot to put the radio one for her and when l got back she was ever so pleased to see me, flying to my head with screeching l thought my time was up, and we settled down to breakfast she had 7 cornflakes while l ate my porridge and then we shared an orange she likes me to leave the peel on her segment something to hold without getting her foot all sticky.
After a doze and she has given up her ghastly teeth grinding it was toy time today l made a more elaborate toy and she spent 15 minutes trying to get to the seeds. She called me to give her a scratch inside her cage and she loved the tickly under the arm. Then l sat down for a well earned rest until l saw her trying to get a bath in her drinking bowl so l took it out and splashed the water in the bathing pool actually it is the top of a glass cassserole dish l took Miis K 's advice and put a leaf in the water. Bille went to have a bath on her drinking water only to find it was not there she made me laugh as she put her head through the restraining hoop but when she heard me splashing the water below her she came down to investigate.
she put her head in the water and felt the bottom from various angles and found the leaf which she pulled out daintily and dropped it between the bars of the grid, then she stood in the water, I was trying to show her how to sit in the water and splash herself but l got a wet bootom. She was more interstesd in my antics than washing.
She went back to her drinking bowl so l got the spray gun out and began squiting her but she kept runnung away but l cornered her in the top of the cage and she turned and tried to bite the end of the spray so l sort of realized that today was not a good spray day.
Then it was time to get the shepherd's pie ready, we both love this but l get very disorganised at times. I bought the shepherds pie in steaming hot and put it on table next to her cage then something on the hob started to yell and l dashed out into the kitchen to quell a mutiny and when l got back Billie was sitting in my chair eating my porridge! Actually she was standing at the edge of my plate tryingto eat shepherds pie but i was too hot for her. What a nerve!
I tried shooing her away and l then tried shouting and l tried to put my hand under her feet but she knew she was onto a good thing and would not budge so l picked her up and plonked her on her cage, this only the third time l have picked her up the first time was early on when she missed the disatance to my chair and ended end up on the floor and she bit me then she tried to land ont op of the door as l went out and missed and flew on into the kitchen and landed on the floor and again l picked her up and again she bit me, but this time all she did was wriggle like mad. "Naughty" I said to her.
She came and sat on the cage door and counted ever spoonful l put into my gob, l relented and gave her pie crust and some peas and sweet corn and some lamb in a tea speen but she was not keen on that. (The lamb not the tea spoon!) When l had finished she looked disappopinted so l invited her to lick the plate but she declined.
Again she gave me the run around at bed time up and down in and out, she had me pegging the blanket round her cage and then changing her mind it was 9 pm before she wanted to be covered up, what time do people put their birds to bed?
AJPeter
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

How can l protect Billie from Giarda?
AJPetre
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi AJPeter

You can find information on Giardia here:
http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/giardia.html

The articles says, "Providing your bird with a secure environment, feeding a balanced, nutritious diet and using a water bottle will help prevent reoccurrence of problems. Excellent sanitation and husbandry practices must be employed, as well. Exposure to droppings should be minimized. A grate at the bottom of the cage should be used. Spraying the grate with non-stick cooking spray (PAM) will allow droppings to slide off the grate and into the bottom of the cage."

I let my birds go to bed as the sun goes down. I leave all of the lights off in the house until they have put themselves to bed. Then I cover them and we can use our lights. That works for us but I know lots of people let their birds stay up later than that, and I don't have a problem with that either. The other day I was out for the afternoon, so I woke them up when I got home in the early evening and let them have a little while out of the cage before putting them to bed again.

Ellie.
MissK

Post by MissK »

This really got my attention:
Spraying the grate with non-stick cooking spray (PAM) will allow droppings to slide off the grate and into the bottom of the cage.
Ellie, can you think of any reason it would be not good for Rocky to run around on cooking spray and get it all over his feet and tail? He loves to run around on the floor chasing his toys and accessing his bathtub. I can't think that would be good on his tail? It would be delightful to see a non-stick grate. On the other hand, I'm not really happy with any build-up of gunk in my kitchen.

Has anybody tried this?
-MissK
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi MissK, AJPeters and everyone

Firstly, let me preface my comments by saying I seem to be having a more-so-than-usual off-day today (at least if the following thread is anything to go by: http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 1&p=105509)... I pasted the comment from a website talking about Giardia as per AJPeters question. Personally, I don't know anything about Giardia; I just try to keep my bird's water dish as clean as possible and not have any perches over the top of it to try to avoid them pooping in it.

MissK, I also thought the cooking spray suggestion was a bit weird and I'm not planning to try it. I'm not sure it would do too much harm although they could possibly decide to eat it and eating that much fat wouldn't be good for them. Many years ago, when Janey got her head stuck between some bars in her travel crate, we tried oil on her neck to get her out and she started eating it, so I could imagine that a bird crawling around on the grate coated in cooking oil will ingest it. Certainly you wouldn't want your bird to get too much oil on its feathers.

I also don't use the grate in the bottom of my cage. My birds don't spend much time on the bottom of the cage (although they do spend some time there) and I just let them walk around on the newspaper at the bottom of the cage.

I also don't really like the suggestion of a water bottle. I like my birds to have access to a bath at all times, I don't feel that I should dictate when they should take a bath... and if you have a bath for them then they will drink out of it even if you don't want them to, so for me the water bottle is redundant.

I found the information on Giardia using a Google search but I also thought that the website http://www.exoticpetvet.net/ was one that I'd used before for other information and I had deemed it credible in the past... looking at their home page now, it's not the site I thought it was. However the front page does claim that the site is " written by a board certified avian veterinarian with 25 years of experience with these exotic species".

Ellie.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I don't like grates either! I put paper on top of it. Nila doesn't like grates, he likes flat surfaces when he goes to ground level.
Exotic pet vet has some weird advice, I've been over that site.

Aj: Nila likes to join us in the shower, he sits on the screen and if he wants to get wet he moves to where the water is. Same with the spray bottle, we spray it to the part of the cage he isn't in and if he wants to get wet he comes to it. If he doesn't we give up. He also has a bathtub, but he usually prefers a shower. He gets really annoyed if you take the water away before he is done! Sometimes he flies to the bathroom and does his "want" squawk to get us to turn the shower on for him.
MissK

Post by MissK »

I put paper over the Canary's grate because I could see him otherwise breaking a leg. I put a piece of paper under the Budgies' sleep perch, and it sometimes moves. I tried putting paper under Rocky's sleep perch, but it moved like it had a mind of it's own...and feet...and a shiny red convertible!

In the name of research I'm going to spray a little corner of the grate under Rocky's sleeping area. I don't see him walk over that, perhaps because it really is in the corner and he has plenty of other running room. Will make a report later unless I forget. I am, um, quite likely to forget to report (and even that I sprayed it....) so give me a kick in the pants if you don't hear back soonish.
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Thank you Ellie that article on Gardia was very helpful l have printed it out for future reference, l have a cage where the top opens out and Billie loves that but it over hangs her water bowl and seed bowl. I tried putting a slip of paper under the wing but Billie just pulls it out. I did notice that when she is sitting on the wing she carefully leans out when she poops but l check her water and seed bowl every day for contamination.
When l first got her l bought a plastic water bottle but she was hell bent on destruction so l bought a rabbit glass bottle with stainless steel tube. Clean water is essential for all animals, when l worked in the pet shop we had youngsters clenaing cages and putting fresh food in but often they missed changing the water!
Thank you MissK for that idea of covering the grid with paper l get oodles of free newspapers from the buses, l will try covering the gird, l only put the grid in to balance the bath bowl on. Billie never goes down to the lower level even when l first got her she very carelly reached down to pick something up from the bottom of the cage.
Bille has a new game called fingers well that is what l call it after a good scratch and she allows me to cup my hand over her head but she wants to sit on the back of my hand and feel all the nooks and cranies of my fingers with her tongue she also gently pull the fold of skin over my knuckles all the time she weaving side to side and bobbing back and forth.
I turned my hand over so she could sit in my palm but she reached up and pulled my hand over l am wondering is this a prelude to feeding my hand? She was sitting on my shoulder as l played the organ this morning and started to poke around in my ear canal, she even put the boot in until l objected.
It was quite funny this evening she was in feeding and l crept up and started to close the top first you have to take the perch out and by then she is up and making strong objections to my closing the doors, but l managed to get one side down and as l moved the other side she ran up and bit me on the arm.
I screamed and starteds to say "Kiss it better" She was quite amused and looked concerned l thought for one minute she was actually going to kiss it better but she slid back down with out a concern in the world when l say slid she holds the bars and slides down itis quite comical. I need to keep to a regular time for putting her in, but when she wants to be covered is up to her, she sqwarks when she is ready.
Before l had Billie l hardly ever talked to myself but since she came l have done nothing but talk talk talk! She is Jolly good company and so say all of us (that includes the soft toys Barney and Douglas).
AJPeter
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Help! l have the dreaded lurgi, but first l must tell you how clever Billie is this mornung l started to clean her cage with a sponge and when l have done one bit l tap the cage with my finger as a signal for her to move, but this morning she flew to my chair and l was able to clean the whole cage without her grabbing the sponge or biting me.
I had to go shopping but when l got back she was so excited at seeing me she caught her foor in the door of the cage and then she landed on my shoulder and cuddled up close. I was so pleased at this reception l took her round and showed her the whole flat parts she had never seen "Here is the bath room, and here is the bedroom where l sleep, and here is the kitchen this door leads to the top of the stairs."
She enjoyed her tour so much l let her sit on my shoulder while l unpacked the shopping trolley. She was very interested in the contents of the fridge, l showed the upstairs cupboard which was dark but where the potatoes are stored but all of a sudden something frightened her and she flew to the top of the door so l thought it best to take her into the LR where she lives.
I gad a little play on the organ and Billie sat on my shoulder, she decided l needed surgery in my ear and pulled all the wax out and some of my ear as well, She had to get a good grip so clung to my ear with one foot while she pulled some hairs out. Judging form the pain she thought my ear lobe was something l would not miss. But when l thought l could take no more she flew back to her cage for a poop, she is good liike that. Back in the days of the pet shop she Charlie the shop Macaw would sit on my shoulder and hop up and down to let me know he was about to poop and then he would poke his bottom out so the poop did not go down my back.
After breakfast and Billie had 7 cornflakes shaken not stirred but she only had a little of the orange then it was time for a snooze, afterwards l made a foot toy for her but she is getting bored with the millet spray. While out shopping l saw these nuts that were so cold they were shivering in their shells, so l gave Biilie some and she dropped them all so l had to hit them with a hammer as l have no idea where the nut crackers are, that was a bit disappointing as l thought they would make good foot toy fillers.
Then l relaxed in front of the TV and she flew to my chair and l lifted her down and she started the finger game, she prefers to sit on the back of my hand and her little claws dig into my skin so when she grew tired of this game and went back to her cage l saw that my hands had this rash it looked ugly. I put some antihistamine cream on but it itched abonimbly so l phoned the doctor to make an appointment l told the receptioist that l had the dreaded lurgi and she said "Thursday 4.50." But after rubbing some Germolene a healing ointment in the wheals went down so l phoned the doctor and cancelled my appointment.
Then the men came to look at my roof they decided to leave it for another day and then it was time for dinner. I bought egg noodles and cooked a few to see how she would take to them. She took one look and threw them over the side.
Also l bought some small tomatoes and she loved one l gave her and then l had misgivings can they have tomatoes?
Are tomatoes all right for our birds?
After dinner it was the news and that terrible huricane in the Philopines. About seven she was snacking inside her cage so l crept up (I'm an awful creep!) and closed the top of her cage, Billie was so shocked she sat on the door with her back to me and sulked. "People who sulk get a large doze of Cod Liver oil." l told her but she said it was bad for her. I took pity on the little IRN and opened the top up. She deigned to turn round but if looks could kiill would not be here now. About 8 she called for her blanket and l shut all the doors and said Good night Billie.
AJPeter
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I'm shocked she wouldn't eat the egg noodles. My Cyrano loves them. Tomatoes are not too good for them..you are correct. Too much acid for their little tummies. And what in the world is the lurgi???

AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

The dreaded Lurgi is when you feel ill and cannot put your finger on the reason why. Like today we have had a bad hair day. This morning went quite well l uncovered Billie and she looked like death warmed up so l left her to sort herself out and got on with making coffee and clearing up. When l came back she was sitting on my chair back warming her bottom on the gas fire.
She got really upset when the roof man came for another look and l went out side to speak to him l could hear her calling out. I noticed that she had eaten the flesh of a tomato l left in fresh fruit bowl last night but l cleaned her cage without too much dificulty and then sat down to play the organ she came to my shoulder and decided l needed more operations on my ear, but most of the time she just sat close to me. At brunch she ate her corn flakes but only half of the orange. Then l had a doze while she ground her beak, but then it was her turn to have a doze. Afterwards l made a foot toy but she dropped it but when l offered it to her gain she pushed it away.
She had another doze on the perch and did not look well, she has pooped a lot today but it looked all right a little runny but l am not the sort of chap who is a chap who looks into bird droppings. At dinner time she wanted to eat the egg noodles but each time she picked one up it broke and she did not get much she wanted me to spoon feed her but l wanted to eat my dinner so l invited her down to my table but she declined to come. I cleared away the cooked vegs l had made for her and she was dozing on the door again.
But as l sat down to watch TV she perked up and scoffed her food food inside the cage l should have locked her in then but l thought it was too early. She came out and started to doze on the door again, l know she had a late night last night it was 8.30 before she wanted to be covered up. I sat next to her and she had a neck scratch but she tried to bite me so l just invited her to go in and she decided she had had enough nagging for one day and went in. But she was back to her old self touring the bowls there was no Corn hanging up becuase the last few days she has not touched it and so l did not buy any more. But at 7 pm she called to be covered up. I am thinking that her bad hair day might have been triggered by that tomato, So we shall see what tiomorrow brings.
AJPeter
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Egg noodles are back on the menu. There was some in her fresh fruit and veg bowl congealing and l went to throw it out and Billie got quite cross so l had to put it back last thing this evening she was tucking in so she like egg noodles.
I am still bewildered by the finger game she plays. She sits on the back of my hand licking my fingers and holdiing gently to the fold of the skin all the while she is rocking back and forth. She wont let me stroke her neck or under belly and if l try she reaches out with a foot to quell the mutiny. The only down side is that l break out into dermatis a skin blistering which responds to various creams but l shall have to limit her game.
This morning when l got her up l was ever so pleased to see she had returned to full health her cage agression was spot on. She flew to my shoulder several times as l was l going out of the door, l do not think she likes being taken into other rooms she just wants me to stay.
She sat on my sholulder as l played the organ and actually sang to one of the tunes. I can see it all now "Billie the renowed singing parrot and her accompanist" Except l cannot spell but you get the right idea. She was sitting on the top of her cage this eveining dozing so l told her "You ought to go to bed." But she told mer she was watching the TV. "You cannot watch TV with your head under your wing|" There was no answer to that so she went in and toured the bowls.
At 7.15 she called to be covered up.
I sat wtaching the TV with head phones but l could her grinding her teeth so l saved the program and came in here.
AJPeter
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Egg noodles are off the menu, they do not keep well and after three days in the fridge they started to revolt and sitting in Billies fresh veg bowl all morning l was about to revolt over the smell. When l go shopping next week l shall buy some pot noodles to see how they keep all you have to do is pour boiling water on them stir and wait 5 mins and they are ready Billie wiil not want a whole pot so l hope to break some off and cook them in parts. Personally l think they are disgusitng.
I was quite pleased to day, a perch made of Java wood which l bought from the pet shop for £25, 3 months ago has a lot of twiddly bits and the only time l could get Billie to put a claw on it was when l hung the corn cob close by. But today she sat on a large branch and a then small branch, but her favourite perch is quite narrow and l saved it from the previous cage.
The vets is about an hour by public transport and 150 metre walk, the bus stop going is right out side my house and coming back 150 metres up the road. Would l need to put a seed bowl and water bottle in the cat litter box? I am planning on takling her next year in the spring perhaps after her moult for nail clipping and a check up.
When she comes to my chair and sits in my lap she has a good neck and head rub she is not keen on a scratch and l cup my hand over her head all in preparation for that time l have to take her to the vets. I plan on wrapping her in a towel and stuffing her into the cat box. But the best laid plans of mice and men can be wrought to nothing by a cunning parrot.
AJPeter
MissK

Post by MissK »

AJ, with a few months you should have time to come to some sort of agreement with her. If at all possible, let her learn to walk into it on her own, after a lure, and give her the moon when you shut the door.
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I like that idea Miss K l did have the box on the table so she could get used to it being there but l found it to be an awful nuisance so l moved it to the other side of the room. But the last couple of days she has been off cornflakes but this morning l thought l would try her with some and they went down a treat. She has also been off her foot toy so l think l will give those a break too.
But l could break her neck though because today she peed on me l should be more accurate boys pee girls wee well what ever today had not been the best of days, this moring l forgot to give her cuttlefish bone and she had already tucked into her seeds when offered a small piece to her. I kept saying "Take it nicely." But she tried to bite me but eventually she took it and dropped it, then l offerred it to her agqain but this time held by a clothes peg she took it but dropped it again. So l picked it up and blew on it and offered it again but l forgot Billie is very fussy about eating things that have been on the floor and she bit me. So l put it in her seed bowl but later l saw she had thrown it out.
This morning was a big clean up day I told her it is ever so nice to have a clean carpet not that she took much notice.
But she wanted a shower and as l had moved the cage to clean the floor l obliged and she get pretty wet, l used to have a hair drier running to dry her off but thought it would dry her skin too much. But she was sitting on her perch looking all bedraggled so l went and got the hair drier but as soon as l turned it on than she tried to bite it so l turned it off and let her stew in her own juice.
Then she joined me on the organ l would not let her go near the remaining buttons so she tried her hand at unpicking a seam. Then she ripped up the inside of my collar all the time rubbing her wet body up against my cheek. What a cheek!
After that we had breakfast and the cornflakes were duly dipped and so it was onto the orange. She had a segment all ripped open and after l had cleared away l sat down in the arm chairn and she came to join me she had a neck rub and then weed on me but she flew back to her cage for a poop so l should be thankful for small merices.
She kept flying to my head as l left the room so it was getting tiresome so the next l l went out l said "Stay!" But she flew in any case so l waved my hand to ward her off.
At dinner time l made up a bowl for her of stew peas, carrots, a bit of meat, she ate all the peas and then wanted to join me at my table, so l had to sho her away and she startesd to sulk. After Dinner l usually shut her in about 6 and then at 7 she wants to be covered up but toningt she wanted to be covered at 6 pm, Which l thought was too early.
AJPeter
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Winter is coming Peter. She will want to go to bed earlier now. :D

AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I hope she does not want to get up any earlier. 9 am is just right for me, l need, no l enjoy a good 8 hours sleep.
AJPeter
MissK

Post by MissK »

I like 9, myself, always have. Rocky never bothers to wake me. I think I've gotten up a few times and caught HIM sleeping!
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

A friend of mine offered to drive me and Billy to the vet but l discovered that the vet was a ten minute walk after an hour's bus ride so l think l will go by bus but first she has to go in her box willy nilly.
She has been weird all day wanting a cuddle and then a neck rub every five minutes then she wants to play the fingers game, she reaches up and pulls my hand down and sits on the back of one hand while she lick the fingers of my other hand all the time bobbing back and forth, she likes both hands with palms down and her claws are really very sharp l am just wondering if l or she can last out until the spring for a nail job?
The man who had her before me for two years never took her to the vets for nail cutting and who ever had her before then well that is any one's guess.
I have been training her with the command "Stay" but now she ignores my command and worse when l try and get her to step off my shoulder onto her cage she runs round the back of my neck. I had an awful job of going to the church she kept flying to my head or shoulder, but everntually by waving my arms in the the air l managed to get out with out her, when l got back she she hunkered down and waved her wings, a weird hallo if you ask me. As l said she has been weird all day and it was gone 6 before she went in and then l noticed that her cooked food bowl was still balanced on her seed bowl so without thinking l put my hand in to take the bowl out and she bit me! This time she drew blood and it was very painful. I had to put on a plaster you states people call them band aids. I once saw this shop sign "Aids for the disabled." It creased me up.
And it was 7.30 before l covered her up not that she asked but l got fed up with waiting and l was not in a good mood after she bit me, now she has tasted blood my days are numbered. But like l tell people in my church "Train's a'coming."
AJPeter
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

How do you say no to an IRN?
Billy insists on biting my buttons on my shirts when she sits on my shoulder she breaks them in half, l have tried waving my arms so she cannot land, l have tried scolding her and locking her in the cage but l think l might have an answer to stop her biting my buttons l smeared them with vaseline, the test was inconclusive because l changed my shirt to a well worn and frazzled shirt and Billy found she could enlarge the holes. Thank God she lost interest and ate some grapes l put in her bowl.
I have the cat litter box on the side table and she ignores it even when she comes and lands on my head and l lift her down to the side table she pretends it is not there. I found an old shower curtain tie back l gave it to her in the hope she would leave my shirt alone, she quickly demolished the brass rings at either end and then lost interest in it so l tied it onto her cage. You would think the end of the world had come by the noise she was making. She tried to undo the string herself and this led her into showing more interest in it. Later l tried to remove it and she lunged at my hand so it stays.
My Living room is a bit dark as there is a tree out side, the botanical gardens people came and looked at and said it was a bird medicine tree, it has berries the wild birds come and eat, if Billy fell ill l might try some berries on her. Kill or cure sort of thing. Where was I? Oh yes the in the dark so l have the central lights on and a light in her corner on all day she sunbathes against the corner lamp when she is cold. And as the evening approaches l draw the curtains and she is quite content to stay up until 7 pm. This morning it was bleak and cold so l did not draw back the inner curtains these are nylon net and stop the neighbours looking although l can see out, but Billy can't . She sqwarked and was looking at the nets so l guessed she wanted them drawn back and after l had she got on with her buisniess.
AJPeter
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Getting closer, Today Billie sat on my hands only inches away from the box l was ever so pleased with her. This morning l went shopping and paid a visit to the pet shop l bought dog drinking bowl with a rubber bottom the bowl not the well you get the picture l also bought some wild garden bird seed with a some tomato sauce l could have almost eaten it myself, Billie loved it with out the tomato sauce!
In the supermarket l bought some pot noodle although nowadays it is called some thing else Bilie quite liked that too, l made too much but she was up and down eating from her three bowls she has a seed bowl a fresh veg/fruit bowl and a cooked food bowl, she showed a lot of interest in the dog's water bowl filled with tepid water but as it was not bath day she only had a good look. She has her water bottle from which she drinks.
AJPeter
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

It was ever so good today Billie rides around on my shoulder and we were in the kitchen l was doing the washing up and she came down my arm and was interested in the splashing water, l emptied the sink and took out the crockery and slowly filled the sink with fresh warm water, she came onto my hands and l held her under the tap flow she seemed to enyoy this but with a mixer tap it is difficult to keep the temp of the water constant, it goes hot or cold.
Tonight she played up and hang out her bed time just l ike a child and it was 7 30 before l finally got her into her cage and another 20 mins before she was ready ro be covered up. But we are not getting any closer to that box!
AJPeter