Hello From The Middle Of Nowhere

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Doodlebug

Re: Hello From The Middle Of Nowhere

Post by Doodlebug »

I shouldn't worry too much about that, unless the bars are far apart enough he could get his head through or stuck?

If they are close enough together it's fine, you've only had a few days so he's still getting used to his environment. Doodlebug will chew on the bars too at times, and his perches. As long as nothing he is chewing is harmful then it's no cause for concern. How big is the cage and does he have plenty to do in there?

Loo :)
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Thanks Doodlebug,
When I turn my back on Aero does he know that I'am still in the room. Using your technique and modifying it by also using my laptop screen as a mirror, I saw him eat, play, yawn, beak rub and chew the bars. Is this good progress cause I'am happy. He is beginning to make some noise but most of the day he is silent as a fly!!! Give Doodlebug a treat from me, I told Aero about how good Doodlebug is and I think that this encouraged him Lol. :D

P.S. What City in the UK do you live.
"Live with parrots and you learn to panic"

AlphaWolf
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

A big thank you to:

Doodlebug, ellieelectrons and MissK

:D :D :D :D :) :) :)

AlphaWolf
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

AlphaWolf wrote:Thanks Doodlebug,
When I turn my back on Aero does he know that I'am still in the room. Using your technique and modifying it by also using my laptop screen as a mirror, I saw him eat, play, yawn, beak rub and chew the bars. Is this good progress cause I'am happy. He is beginning to make some noise but most of the day he is silent as a fly!!! Give Doodlebug a treat from me, I told Aero about how good Doodlebug is and I think that this encouraged him Lol. :D

P.S. What City in the UK do you live.
If aero can see you he'll know you're still in room but with your back to him he'll feel less threatened. Sounds like you're making good progress yes :) How's it going now?

I live in the County of Suffolk in the UK by the way.

AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Thanks Doodlebug,
I used to live in Birmingham but i now visit there 3 months a year. We should organise a playdate for Aero and Doodlebug! :D Soo happy that I'am making progress. Now that he is comfortable with eating behind my back, what shall I do. Shall I stay like this for longer, leaving him to eat behind my back or what??? Thanks Loo!

AlphaWolf
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

How i thing going with doodlebug, some more pics plz ( even he looks greasy). How far are you know in the bonding? What does he let you do and what does he not? I love doodlebug.

AlphaWolf
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

I would just gradually turn round to face him each time you leave stuff in the bars for him, til you are facing him, then you can start getting closer.

I can't post pics from my phone at the monent, it's way too difficult! I have enough trouble using the laptop lol. But as far as taming is concerned, I still can't touch him, I can get him to step up on a perch but sometimes he will bite me. He is landing on me, but again he's biting at the moment so it's not good! His moult is irritating him too, so I just sprayed him to help with it.

Can you post us a photo of your baby?
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hello Doodlebug,
I still have to figure out a way to transfer my photos to my laptop from iPad. I keep having problems, grrr. Aero is also having a moult( I think as he is very scruffy and i can see some down feathers) can't for him to get his coat fixed :)
So as an update with Aero, he doesn't eat his normal food in front of me, except if I turn hi back on him. However I noticed a very peculiar behaviour. Sometimes he will hop to his food perch and if he notices me looking at him or even when I turn my back, he will pace back and forth hopping from the food bowl to the perch, pacing back and forth again and repeating the process till he quickly take a mouthful of food. He sometimes bends his neck and changes his mind and starts the pacing. Is he just lacking confidence? For now shall I just get him used to his new home( I only got him now for a week) and keep feeding him apples so he thinks of my hand as a treat-giver? And my brothers and sister are de-motivating me by telling that it is impossible to tame him, only you guys and my mom are the motivators! Hope I can tame Aero and give the best and healthiest life he could wish for.

P.S. He has two toys in his cage. I wanted to add a new one but he gets too scared and starts flapping that i change my mind completely. I don't want to ruin any thing just yet.

AlphaWolf
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Hey Alphawolf. I had the same sort of discouraging opinions from my dad about not being able to tame Doodlebug, as we hand reared our first IRN the differences are very stark. But I know it can be done-you only have to read through the posts on here to know that! So please don't give up, it's a slow slowwww process but so worth the ultimate prize, the bond with our Ringnecks :)

You're doing great, I think he does the pacing because he's still not used to being looked at. Have you tried the blinking game? Sit near to him as comfortable and slowly blink your eyes while talking softly to him and he should start doing the same to you. It's very cute but also gets him used to your eyes and it's calming. Maybe try it?

AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hello Loo, Lol what a coincidence. My dad also gave me discouraging opinions on how I will never tame them. Just notice the we and our birds have a lot in common. Noticed today the Aero hates and never touches his pumpkin seeds and mushy bananas. Oh and my worst food is sprouts and butter, XD.

Anyway, yesterday I put only pellets in his feed bowl. I noticed that he ate only a few nibbles and he poop was all runny. I was so worried and my internet was down. I fed him some apples and he started eating in front of me. He ate two apples bfore he stopped. I was thrilled but then though that maybe he did this because he was hungry. I changed his food into the seed mix and he started gobbling it up like green pig. Now he wont eat anything inf ornt of me, back to step one I guess :(. I did the blinking game and was surprised to see him blink back, wow what does the blinking mean in birds. Hope everything goes well for you Loo with doodlebug and hope he stops biting. I guess we are all on the same boat with our IRNs.

AlphaWolf
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi AlphaWolf,

Please don't let people tell you the bird cannot be tamed. Unless they have extensive experience with taming Ringnecks and also know yours very well, I think you should just consider that they don't know enough about it to make such an assertion. When people tell me I cannot do something I sometimes say "Perhaps you cannot do this, but what I can do has yet to be known." You may say something like that if you like. :wink:

A week is a very short time to a Ringneck. He lives in the moment of right now. He has no plans or expectations for the future with you, and so no need to rush. You can take a little hint from him and enjoy what you have even as you consider how he may develop. If you have more of your attention on right now, keeping the future on the side of your mind, you will be able to see more of what happens. Have a plan for the future but enjoy today.

I believe the action you describe of pacing on the perch and warily grabbing a bite to eat while you watch is understandable in a bird who so recently was not even that comfortable with you. He is not comfortable letting down his guard to eat leisurely with you near and watching. Try backing up a few feet or watching from across the room or the doorway.

Give him time and celebrate his small accomplishments. Every long journey is made of small steps. A year from now you can be telling us "Look at everything Aero learned in his first year with me!" People here have heard it from me - Today Rocky learned to follow a food lure. Today Rocky pulled up a toy on a string. Today Rocky learned to fly. Today Rocky chewed up wood for the first time. Today Rocky stepped onto my wrist. Today Rocky ate vegetables. Today Rocky flew to my shoulder. Today Rocky came when I called. Today Rocky went to a stranger. He may not do something new every day, or even every week, but when I sit back to watch and critically evaluate, I usually see something new I missed because I was too busy looking with my heart. It's not bad. :) What will Rocky do next? I think he is learning to fly away from the Budgie cage when I point. Time will tell if I'm right.
-MissK
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hello MissK, your post was so sweet and wonderful :D . Aero has now a distance that if I disturb he will start hopping around. As an update using your technique loo, i observed him preening, stretching his poor clipped wings and scratching his head. Poor Aero he is so scruffy right now due to his moult. I'am going to carry on giving him apples and will let him settle down tomorrow. Tomorrow will be his 2nd week anniversary :) . Can't for that day when Aero eats from my hand, when he steps up, when he talks... Looks like baby steps are the way. So I will just ignore him right now but carry on giving him treats. There he goes grinding his beak again :D

Thank you MissK for your great encouragement.

AlphaWolf
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Thank you everyone for your encouragement.

AlphaWolf
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Ok, maybe I pushed Aero too far :( ... Whenever I approach the cage he starts to flap around. I can't even feed him with him overreacting and flapping like mad. Looks like I'am back to step one! Shall I carry on feeding him apple as a treat and let him settle down even more. I guess that I was patient enough. He is definitely starting to settle down more as he squawkes more and sometimes I catch him stretching his wings. What do you guys reckon I should do.

P.S. Aero looks very scruffy but I can't find his feathers anymore. Could he still be moulting, he dropped only 4-5 down feathers.

AlphaWolf
MissK

Post by MissK »

What did you do that pushed him too far?

Yes, if he is flapping, you;re doing something upsetting. Quit that.

Carry on being sweet, giving food, giving space but still being present. And don't stare. 8)
-MissK
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hi MissK,
Tbh I don't know. Just giving him fresh food and water. I think by coming close to him he gets scared. So shall I just ignore him but sit near him and carry on feeding him apples? Or shall I let him settle down first? Sorry for pestering you with these questions.

AlphaWolf
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

OMG, Aero decided to give me a heart attack. I went to check his water bowl and i saw it all reddish pink. Man i though maybe he was injured. Apparentlty yours truly Aero decided Halloween should come early. He dunked some papayas into his food bowl :roll: :roll: :roll:

AlphaWolf
Chewy78

Post by Chewy78 »

Hi there! Do you have any pictures of your IRN? I just got my guy and I would have to say his (or her) colouring is pretty dull compared to all the other IRN pictures I see. I know for a fact he didn't come from a great place, but I sure love him and am happy he is now home with us.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Chewy,

If you think your bird's colouring is dull, try standing closer and using a brighter light. :D
-MissK
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Chewy78 wrote:Hi there! Do you have any pictures of your IRN? I just got my guy and I would have to say his (or her) colouring is pretty dull compared to all the other IRN pictures I see. I know for a fact he didn't come from a great place, but I sure love him and am happy he is now home with us.

I think a lot of the pictures you see were one among many. Lighting has a lot to do with it.. Sunlight is really good.. also the type of camera being used.
Chewy78

Post by Chewy78 »

He has been with us now for 2 weeks and he is looking great! Lol. He was really scruffy at first, now his feathers look perfect! :)