A Thread For Budgie Fans

A place to talk about all species, apart from our Ringnecks. Please, post video and pics when available.

Moderator: Mods

JoeysMom

Re: A Thread For Budgie Fans

Post by JoeysMom »

MissK wrote:Thank you, Joey's Mom.

I just don't want Rocky practicing an annoyed Budgie noise at his volume!

Vinay, I will *not* have 20 Budgies. You cured me!
Joey has not reached the same level of screaming that Sammy, the Quaker has. You can hear Sammy doing the "annoyed budgie" noise outside the house. Sam and Fredrik also contact call with each other.

Having nothing to do with budgies or Ringnecks, a while back I bird-sat a macaw down the street from me. Very nice, sweet bird. Then one day he got excited to see me, opened his beak and, omg. I nearly ran for the hills. Wow. :shock:
-Joey's Mom
MissK

Post by MissK »

A monster, huh?
-MissK
JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom »

Yes. I thought the windows were going to shatter. :lol:
-Joey's Mom
MissK

Post by MissK »

The Budgies are Movin' On Up ~

As some may know, I've been "keeping my eyes open" for a second Ringneck or an Alexandrine for some time - about a year, now. I've had that second flight cage just hanging around, and you know an empty cage has to be filled! After the recent disappointment in not bringing home the Alexandrine I've posted about, and passing on various others, I've pretty much decided to stop looking. I'm sad about it, because I wanted Rocky to have a suitable companion, but I've found a way to make lemonade.

This week I decided to move the two Budgies into the five foot flight cage! How exciting this is! Riff Raff flies a lot in the cage they use now, but I long to see her in the big cage. This shift in perspective will allow me to put her there. Dr. Scott, never the big flier, will have a chance to develop himself a little less under Riff Raff's pushy little foot. The soon-to-be former Budgie cage will also serve as a substantial upgrade for my favourite Canary!

Knowing how life operates, I guess the perfect new Ringneck will fall in m,y lap by Christmas.... :? I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Yay for Riff Raff and Dr. Scott!! It'll be like a new Barbie dream house for them :lol:

That double side by side you have. Do you LOVE it? I'm contemplating the purchase as we speak.

This is the one. It just came back in stock

http://www.wayfair.com/AandE-Cage-Co.-D ... 8B825&ltr=
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

ranechild

Post by ranechild »

I have seen said cage in action and dude, Riff Raff and the Doctor are going to have a new Kingdom!!! it's a fabulous cage.
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hi just saw this thread. I (well ok my sister) have 2 budgies. A dark combat english budgie and a sky-blue standard budgie. OMG, they are too cute and sweet. :D
"Live with parrots and you learn to panic"

AlphaWolf
MissK

Post by MissK »

Well, you might have guessed after I suggest to everyone that they consider this cage that I do, in fact, LOVE it. :lol:

I've mentioned the drawbacks, and I could give you a reminder if you like. Chief is the fact that only the large front doors have locks, so you're on your own for locking the rest if you feel they need locking. For IRN, yes, please. Second is the way that the (unused) divider channel is a magnet for detritus. I have read that someone fixed this by covering it with a strip of something they got at the home improvement warehouse. You're on your own there. I just let it get cruddy and clean it now and then. I know I had a third complaint but can't think of what it was, so you know it was really, really bothersome (not!). The last thing is that, being me, I wish it were bigger still! There is a taller option I really would prefer, but, you know, $$$$$. **NB: the stand is integrated, so there is no taking it off the stand and stacking it unless you use a hacksaw.

You should evaluate the bar thickness for the bird you might intend to house. For IRN it is perfect, but Cockatoo would laugh at it. When I asked around, recall, people felt it was on the line for Alexandrine, depending mostly on if the bird felt like tearing it up or not. This suggested to me that it might not be 100% reliable for Alexandrine beak strength.

The assembly instructions are more like a line drawing of the assembled product, but I did it twice, so you can too. Would be even easier if you had a friend, but I did not.

OH, and shop for price. There seems to be a great price range, and I wouldn't want you to be paying too much. The link you posted seemed fine. I think that's what I paid for my second one. I did get an unusually sweet deal on the first, especially since it was local and I think the seller got it right off the boat from China.

If I can get off my fat butt early mornings this week, I plan to go out and harvest some grape and kiwi vines for the interior. The Budgies really like de-barking those, and I suppose it's time to do some pruning anyway. I know Budgies are more grassland creatures, but I'm planning a jungle for them. It's back to the drawing board for guarding their toeses and noses from a visiting Ringneck, so they probably won't go in this week.

Has anybody got any experience presenting birdseed in one of those outside hanging feeders? It's not jungly, but I'm really hoping to feed in the center of the cage to contain the seed mess in the pan this time. Sadly, my branches are not thick enough to drill a hole for coop cups. Maybe some strategically placed cable ties........
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I remember the conversation well now...I swear I'm going senile lol.

I saw this cage a little less somewhere else...but it was the 27" inside height one. The one I want to order is 37" inside height. I'm not sure I plan on using the divider at all. I just want the width for flight. A place to let my babies get some exercise after they fledge. I tried to talk chris into letting all the babies practice flight in the house, but that was a no go :lol: and I really don't want to build any more cages. I want something I can break down for off season and clean and put away. I may hold off a bit longer though, because they only have it in black and I REALLY want the platinum. :D

MissK

Post by MissK »

Definitely get the 37", unless you can afford the one that is top to bottom cage, with no shelf. Isn't that funny how we all have a preference. I wanted the black, really didn't want the platinum, and ended up getting the dark green because it was the cheapest. Guess that's because it was being discontinued. I'm definitely a lemonade girl, though, because once it was installed in the yellow room, holding the green bird, I decided green was ideal. :lol: I am so easy. The canaries are in black, in a white room, and I think it goes well. But I like black fine. Some people hate it. All my travel cages are white, and guess what........ I wish they were black! Or stainless, I guess. But white won't show the poop, if you have it. I guess that's at once a good and a bad thing. The trays are white, though, so if you get white you won't have that jarring colour clash. (Suddenly realizing he never touches the trays so I *could* paint them....hmmmm)
-MissK
Melika

Post by Melika »

I used to feed the aviary birds from an outdoor bird feeder. I had it sitting on the floor of the raised aviary, but I don't see why you couldn't hang it and give them a perch or two to stand on and feed. I didn't want to make them try and land on the rim of the feeder, since the space was so narrow. It was very convenient!
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom »

That must really be a nice big budgie cage :D . Mine live in a house I created from two cages (and other cage parts). It is an interesting cage. But the budgies seem to like it. All four of them are on the cage in this picture, but really this is just Fred and Phoebe's house, Skyler and Alex were just visiting. I don't see Phoebe in the pic, but I know she is on the cage. :lol:

Oh yes. And I can say that pretty much every toy on that cage is played with on a daily basis. It is a little overwhelming isn't it? :shock:
Attachments
untitled.JPG
-Joey's Mom
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

It's budgie wonderland!! :D it's fabulous!!

MissK

Post by MissK »

WOW, it really *IS* a Budgie Wonderland! I was looking for big, swirly lollipops!

I've gone the complete opposite way for Riff Raff and Dr. Scott in their new big cage. It's all natural-jungley with branches and vines, though I also brought in their ropes and perches, etc from the old cage (which was no slouch either).....

I put them in there for the first time today, since I had the day to spend watching how they get on. It was pretty quiet for the first hour or so, but they've finally sprung into action now. They've nibbled their kale, checked out the new layout, had some seeds, and Riff Raff located the water. Dr. Scott is just now explaining his feelings about it all to his mirror.

Since the big cage is laid end to end with Rocky's big cage, I took the small precaution of building a little privacy wall with a perch high up where the cages meet. I want the little guys to have a safe retreat. I made it out of three of those flat wood slab perches you may have seen in the rodent section at Petco. I bolted them to hang down from the ceiling in a row.

In a different spot of the wall where the cages meet I put a food dish in each cage. They can eat together as a flock if they like and, if they don't, then they can use a different feed dish at the other end. Rocky made quite a fuss when I put them in their cage. He repeated a somewhat shrill call until I could stand no more and threw a few pistachios into his oatmeal box for foraging. That took care of the problem and he has since moved on to that pesky almond in the shell he just can't seem to crack. :lol:

Now that I've put Budgies in the big cage I have a lifetime supply of Ringneck sized cage bits hanging around in a box. :roll: Maybe Rocky will use them in a decade or so.....
-MissK
MissK

Post by MissK »

Settling in~

Now most of a day later the Budgies are settling in to the new cage nicely. I'm no longer worried that proximity to the Ringneck will upset them as Riff Raff has started hanging out on the Rocky side of her privacy wall. Rocky, in turn, is spending some time trying to squeeze through his bars to get to the Budgie side of things. Dr. Scott, well, he has his mirror.

Riff Raff took a more extended flight just now. I guess it was three and a half feet, maybe. She looked a little awkward, but she's a very strong flyer and I know she'll be comfortable doing it in her cage soon. Dr. Scott made an amazing vertical drop from a rope perch to a vine below. Very impressive. I'm hoping the longer space will encourage him with the flying. He can do it, of course, but he's not very good at it and prefers to hop. I blame the pet store, with no small amount of hostility.

The Canary took to his new cage mostly with good grace. He did look a little nervous yesterday, but negotiated the extra space and new perch levels like a pro. He's eating his carrot shreds right now; what a trooper. Most of my perches didn't work for the Remendado because his feet are so small. Also, he's old and somewhat less robust. His balance is a little iffy sometimes. I'm going to have to consider his environment a work in progress. He is my last Canary as I have given the other to a friend.
-MissK
MissK

Post by MissK »

A New Budgie! ~

This evening I brought home an Albino Budgie. I sat in my hand no less that 45 minutes, unrestrained, napping. After 45 minutes it made some investigatory nibbles and hopped to the perch to stand NEXT TO my hand. In another minute I nudged it slightly and it stepped up, where it now remains, on my finger.

It definitely IS sleepy time so I can't take any credit. It's very exciting, though!
-MissK
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

I have thought about getting a budgie to be a friend for my IRN. Something tells me the big pet store budgies wont' be that great... Also.. I wonder if I can take a bird -back- to the store.. even if I don't want my money back. I'd love to give it a 2 or 3 week try and see how my current bird takes it.... But i'm guessing that there's nothing tame about those store budgies. Also I have stood and watched those store budgies through the glass cases they're kept in. Many of those birds seem bonded already. I can't imagine separating them intentionally even if they are just living in a pet store on display.

Another concern is lifespan. The budgie won't live as long as the IRN. I would hate for my IRN to become a long term friend of the budgie only for the budgie to die eventually while the IRN would live a number of years more without his friend.

For this reason I'm also considering keeping myself as the IRN's only real friend. I've heard taking on a second bird becomes twice as much work too. All the work I've done with my current bird; I can't imagine re-doing it with another bird who would have new quirks that I would need to learn and adapt to.

I've been told to get a budgie or a cockatiel but not work with it.. just let it be buddies with my current bird, but I don't think it's in my nature to do that.
MissK

Post by MissK »

I noticed a strong difference between pet store Budgies depending on the store environment. Ethically, I think they are more questionable than direct from breeder. However, you also have to consider the Budgie is to be a pet for you, too. So I would advise against unless you want one. Or two. I think it would be reasonable for a Budgie to fear the IRN, at least initially. If you get a Budgie and do not tame it you do yourself a disservice. As to lifespan, consider that not every individual lives to the average lifespan - that's why it's an average. Your Budgie may live long; your IRN may perish early. If it's such a strong concern, consider a cockatiel. Um, again, if YOU like them.
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Congrats on your new friend, missk! What a little sweety!
Is it going to live with riffraff and dr scott? You might need another to balance things out now... slippery slope.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Oh, dear goodness, is s/he a sweetie!

S/he looked frightened and frozen in place all night and when we got up this morning. I had her/him in the bedroom with me and the dogs, with a cover, across the room. So scared, I think. I broke quarantine for a few minutes and brought the travel cage into the living room, all the way across the room, for a quick look at the other Budgies to reassure her/him, and it worked well. S/he started moving around and trying to figure out the food bowl you have to stick your head into. Now s/he's back in the bedroom with improved food bowls.

I did hold her/him some more, and got some reluctant stepping between fingers. S/he is SO TALENTED with the climbing around the cage, using the rope, hanging from the ceiling, etc.

Magenta is destined to go in the flight cage with the others. If it is a problem to start I can use the divider. There is, indeed, another bird I saw at the store and liked, but it didn't pass the vent inspection. I asked them to quarantine and medicate it for me. We'll see how that goes. As best I can figure it is a dilute, mottled or pied, gold face. I usually only like the symmetrically coloured ones, but this individual was pretty cool. So many colours. I read, if I have correctly ID'd the type, that successive molts may bring on more and more clear feathers, losing that oddly appealing look. I'll check back on him next Monday, I guess.
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Have I told you that I love that you named an albino magenta? It goes with the red theme :D

MissK

Post by MissK »

Yeah, that sealed it, regardless of the gender.

I bet s/he learns to shoot magic, transforming laser rays from those eyes! RIght now, though, soooo sleeeeepy. :P
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

No, lol, I meant ruby...garnet...and now magenta :D

MissK

Post by MissK »

Skyes_Crew, Oh, hahahaha! I didn't think of that!

I was thinking more Rocky, Dr. Scott, Riff Raff, MAGENTA!

Anyway, speaking of Magenta, s/he had a bit of a fly around the house just now. S/he flies like one of those tipsy little butterflies..... I got her/him to step up a number of times, just generally not long enough to transport back to the cage and get passed in. Ultimately, I closed my hand around her/him, but s/he didn't mind much. S/he got out in the first place because I was hanging my arm in the cage, keeping the door open. Once I got her/him back to the cage, it was belly up to the food dish and eating like s/he hadn't seen food in a week.

And speaking of the food...... This little bird looked so healthy when I got her/him home. Eyes and nares clear and clean, vent pristine and droppings were perfect. Today I think the dropping might be a little sticky. I saw several pooping motions that were not followed by any poop - positive of this as s/he was in my hand at the time. Also now that I see some preening attention paid to the vent area I'm paranoid.

There is some poop with a green overtone, but it is the same green of the pellets in the pet store food. I had them send a little home with me so baby wouldn't starve while figuring out our house food. Magenta does seem interested in our house blend, though, so maybe there is just some internal adjustment going on. I want to offer greens, but not sure if this would just make it worse. S/he is drinking fine. I just watched her/him at the water bowl and it was just like a dog, lappa-lappa-lappa! OMG, so cute.

Now s/he is on a perch, having flown, eaten, and drunk, chewing her/his beak and closing the eyes and fluffing for sleep. I'm going to put a warm lamp on her/him since I don't think it could hurt, and a towel on the back of the cage, maybe a hint of supplemental humidity. I'm hoping we're just having transition uneasiness.

Please share your thoughts~!
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Maybe Magenta just misses Columbia!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I'm no budgie expert...I haven't had them in a looooong time lol. But droppings are known to change with several factors. Environment, food, stress, and sickness. I think we can leave the last one off since she came from the store looking pristine. If you're mixing her new food with the old, it will change the color, and may cause a bit of upset, but shouldn't throw it off too much. I would hold off on the greens until she is back to normal poops. If she was slightly dehydrated, ie...didn't drink too much last night, combined with new environment, that can cause ghost pooping. Just keep an eye on her, but I'm sure she's fine :) where are our budgie experts????

MissK

Post by MissK »

Thank you! I'll put my money on not drinking last night, but s/he is making up for it now, definitely made friends with the water bowl. I think s/he is, ultimately, fine, but you know - I like perfection. I don't think a Budgie expert is needed; a general lil birdie expert will do (that's you). S/he seems content, and certainly isn't suffering. All the birdies look pretty happy today, in fact. :D
Last edited by MissK on Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

What's not to be happy about...they all have a cute new budgie to get to know :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I hope this is an appropriate place to share this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZYA3NRCHyQ
It's a cute budgie story
MissK

Post by MissK »

That was certainly an uplifting video about a family supporting their little injured Budgie friend. I did notice, however, that the bird's gender appeared to change..... Still, it was a great video. I bet they could make a nice one about my Budgies, too!
-MissK
MissK

Post by MissK »

Some Concern for Little Magenta ~

Magenta worries me. I think everyone has this issue when they bring home a new bird. First she made some funny poo, and then no poo, and then the poo seemed fine. So I'm OK with the poo, although now the pristine little butt is dirty. :(

S/He's a horrible flyer, no talent at all, unless as an airshow comedian. The wings are all fine, not clipped, but s/he flies like a tipsy butterfly. I'm hoping with practice this will fix up, so not horribly worried about that either.

It turns out, though, I think Magenta might be............ (shhh).......... Stupid. As in, too stupid to eat! Now, I know the bird eats, since we had that discussion about the poo. Poo starts with food. I'm offering the food s/he got at the pet store, the blend I use at home, the Canary's blend from home, AND a little dish of pellet and grain mush. You would think this bird could find something to eat, but s/he just kept trying to pick up words off the cage liner.

So I laid down plain, white paper towels and let her/him have a second try. The bird is now beak-down in a dish of the food I offer my birds here at home. I see picking; I see some sort of chewing, and s/he acts like s/he hasn't eaten in a year. It makes me wonder just how long s/he's been away from the breeder and how long s/he has been offered an unrecognizable food. I'm sure Petsmart keeps records, but will they tell me?

I see myself spending a quiet evening at home separating the seeds of my mix to offer in separate bowls tomorrow. It makes me wonder, in the back of my head, if I have enough bowls! Now that would be something, if *I* didn't have enough bowls. But I definitely want to use the clear plastic ones because, as I said, I think s/he might otherwise be too stupid to find the food!

In other regards, Magenta is thoroughly charming, stepping not too reluctantly to my finger, staying in my hand, and performing all sorts of very impressive acrobatics. (If a girl, I might have to rename her Claire....) I had thought to keep the bird for quarantine in my travel cage, which is as large as some people's Budgies get their whole entire lives. Buuuuuut, I guess you know I couldn't do that, so I've moved her/him to the Canary's old 30x18, with some natural hanging branches. What has it been, like a day and a half, and little Magenta (or Claire) has me setting up luxurious custom cages and picking apart bird food seed by seed!
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Claire sounds very high maintenance :wink:

MissK

Post by MissK »

:lol: Maybe I should call Dave in here to help me deal.

S/he prefers the white millet, second choice pearl millet, third canary grass. There doesn't seem to be a fourth choice, and the poo is now thick, sticky, and looks black. A smear shows it is actually chocolate brown. Mmmm! S/he has figured out the special light is heat, but not that s/he should try a perch near it. When I place her/him on the perch s/he's happy.

Sooooo high maintenance.................
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

And you're loving every minute of it :mrgreen:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Oh dear, I am not sure how to take a slightly dim budgie being named for me.... But I am a bit of a ditz and am definitely pretty high maintenance, so I guess it is appropriate :mrgreen:
MissK

Post by MissK »

Well, sure, now that I found out how to feed her/him! I put in a chunky spray millet- easily three times the size of the bird. S/he is sleeping by it, waking up to attack it, and sleeping again. It's really funny how the little sprig on the far end wobbles like crazy when the bird is chewing the close end....... And it's so cute watching her/him come up to speed on a natural swinging branch. Clutches that jute hanger like s/he's always done it. S/he's a dardevil, for real.

Claire, it's the highest compliment. You should just *SEE* her/him hang upside-down by a toe and make that vertical drop, turning around by sheer magic and winding up sideways on something else. It's amazing. And s/he can *learn* how to eat...... But, still might be a boy, we'll know later.

Ahh. The end of the last vacation day, surrounded by little birdies having their last snack of the night, and snoozing mutts.
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I think it's a compliment too!! You're being compared to a natural aerial artist :mrgreen:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Lol something for me to aspire to! How cool.
JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom »

I need to see a picture of this new budgie, MissK!!! I love albino budgies. My budgie, Fredrik is an albino. He is my sweet little boy.

It has been a little bit since I have been on here, but I read through the posts. Just so you know, albinos can tend to be a little, ummm... slow.

For instance, Fred cannot run. He has a distinct waddle. There is nothing wrong with his structure, his vet says. Fredrik also cannot fly. He has no concept that there could be things in front of him. This probably stems from possible vision problems. He may be close to blind :( . Freddy also chews the air :roll:. It is the strangest thing I have ever seen. Fred will be sitting contently on his perch, then suddenly he will start randomly chewing the air in front of him. The vet thinks his issues are neurological, probably from the albinism.

But all of these things make my special Freddy. And I love him. :D <3
-Joey's Mom
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Joeys Mom! Long time!

Thanks for the heads-up. Little Magenta has finally figured out to perch under the heat lamp, thank goodness, and seems to be eating a little better since I put the food right on the floor. (I'm happy to report those poops are looking normal again, too....) Probably raised on millet.

I read that albinos may have some thinner feathering as youngsters. Do you find that Fredrik outgrew this? Magenta has demonstrated a fine ability to land, and to, um, evade my fingers, as well as execute unmatched feats of climbing. I'm so glad I observed these things before your warning scared the pants off me! :lol:

As to appearance, here is a small Budgie, quite fluffy, and pretty much all white. There is a black speck of some kind, just a speck, on the wing feather and I eagerly wait to know if it is colour or dirt. I'm suspecting dirt, but it looks so much part of the feather. I didn't think an albino could have colour, but some reading on the internet leads me to think it could happen after all. The cere has a light pink-purple-blue thing going on, with no white in the nares. Um.... yellow beak, pink feet, loooong toes. Red eyes currently squeezed tight shut except when one glares at me. I should go to bed!
-MissK
JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom »

It sounds to me like you have a little boy! Fred has purple/pink/blue cere. Sorry my warning scared you :wink: . I'm sure Fred's age could have something to do with that too, he about 7 1/2 years old. Albinos can have a little bit of coloring. Sometimes you may notice a slight shadowing on the wings and such, but it can be very hard to see. They also have a very pretty florescent color that appears on their cheeks and on their tummy and backside. Fred's is a very lovely greenish blue. You can see it well when you take a picture of them, or view them under a bright light (but watch out for those albino eyes!) :D

I am glad that Magenta is eating and the poops are looking better!!! :D
-Joey's Mom
MissK

Post by MissK »

Thanks! I was trying for a boy, but Riff Raff had the same thing going on with her cere as a baby, and she grew up to be a girl. So I have to just wait and see. I'm really glad, too, to have found the acceptable food. I guess s/he'll be getting what I consider "junk" parakeet blend from the regular store until s/he gets into the flight cage and the others can demonstrate how to eat a better seed mix and fresh foods.

I'll be checking the pet store Monday to see how the other Budgie I liked is faring.

Fred sounds fantastic. Joey's Mom, I'm going to keep you on as my Albino Expert!
-MissK
JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom »

Just as a reference here is a picture of Freddy. He has the purple/pink color/blue of the male albino cere (they are a little bit different, they don't normally turn blue like normal males). You can also see his florescent coloring around his tummy, legs, and tail in the picture.

Budgies can be so picky about their seed. But your right, once he is in with the flock he will learn what is good! I hope the other budgie is doing well. Budgies are wonderful aren't they!?!! :D
-Joey's Mom
MissK

Post by MissK »

Welcome...................... Janet? Or Frank? ~

Joeys's Mom, Fred's very pretty! I will use his picture ( a very good one! ) for reference in another week or two. I can see cere things are changing on Magenta. Thank you!

Meanwhile, I went back for that second Budgie, and they say it's a girl. The cere is still in the lavender sort of stage, but she? is definitely a little older as the barring is receding on her head. I don't know what her mutation is, and will be giving a description later. For now, let's say she definitely has a Gold Face and some kind of dilution going on. She has multiple shades of "spring green" and a chalky pastel version of maybe teal. There is a wing bar mutation as well, kinda splotchy. The cheek spots are purple, and this is the darkest colour on her besides the eye.

She is wild and scared, but a very pretty addition to my pale coloured flock of Budgies. Let's hope she knows how to eat!!!!!!!!
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Welcome home!!!! Can we PLEASE have some pics of your two new little ones. Email them to me and ill post them if its easier. I really want to see them. :D

JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom »

Skyes_crew wrote:Welcome home!!!! Can we PLEASE have some pics of your two new little ones. Email them to me and ill post them if its easier. I really want to see them. :D
I second this!

Congrats on the new budgie! She/he sounds adorable! :D
-Joey's Mom
MissK

Post by MissK »

I found a photo on the web that looks a bit like Janet - I think she (?) is a Type 2 Dilute Seafoam Yellowface. She looks much like this photo, only the belly is clearly more Seafoam. I understand (now, I think) that the Seafoam is caused by the yellow of the yellow-face extending into the body and joining with the blue already there to make, what essentially is, pale blue-green.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... rQMwDjiYAg

Wow that's a big link. Hope it works......
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Oh my...that color is fabulous!!! :D

JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom »

What a beautiful budgie! :D
-Joey's Mom
Redzone