New untame bird - my diary

Moderator: Mods

InTheAir

New untame bird - my diary

Post by InTheAir »

Hi all,

As some of you already know, I got a avairy raised 12 week old hen last week. She is called Squidgette.
I settled on a parent raised bird for a variety of reasons. I think there are social benefits to the bird to be raised by it's parents, some of which are not fully understood yet.
For myself, my main interest is to learn more about taming and working with birds. I am interested in training without the use of force and letting the bird take the initiative. Unfortunately I live in a house and my boyfriend won't me keep her cage free, so it's not the ideal circumstances, but it is the best I can manage.
We already have a hand raised, super tame cock called Nila, so Squidgette is quarantined in a room upstairs that Nila has never hung out in much.

When we picked Squidgette up she was caught with a net to be transferred to our travel cage. We released her into her cage at home by opening both doors and letting her hop in when she was ready.
I am still refining my techniques as I assess how they are being accepted. In a week we have progressed from fluttering wildly or hanging back on the perch to her approaching me to take treats from my finger.
The main approach I have been sticking with is to tell her I am walking along the hallway prior to entering the room, asking if I can enter, when she gets herself settled onto a perch I will slowly enter with a treat for her, keep my gaze fixed on the dish I am planning to drop the treat into and slowly approach the dish and drop the treat in and remove my hand. If her body language is calm I slowly leave the room and tell her she is good. The first treat she took from my finger was a little bit of apple as I was dropping it to her dish. She snatched it and retreated to the back of the cage. Later in the afternoon she was snatching mandarin from me. Today she has started taking treats gently. I remove my finger as soon as she has retreated to where she feels comfortable. I avert my eyes from her while offering treats and trust that she won't take any finger.
I have spent short periods of time hanging out in her room, while I eat (after offering her some more fresh food) or putting a toy together for her. And I did take a nap on the couch in her room for about an hour, as far as I could tell she was napping too.

Major errors I have made so far: minimal decorations in her cage, as Nila was really scared of toys in his cage I assumed she would be too. I have had to add them while she is in the cage, which freaked her out a little. Giving her lots of warning so she could get to a comfortable perch before I opened a door did help though. She approaches new objects within minutes, we had to train Nila to do that.
I tried holding a treat out for her too early, instead of dropping it in the dish and she was not impressed, but got over it when I stepped back and left her treats.
I wonder if I should have left her with the breeder another week as she doesn't seem to eat sunflower seeds. I cracked some and put them in her seed dish and they were still ignored.
She also made a game (if it repeats several times in the space of a few minutes, I accept it as intentional) of dumping the coup cup of water onto the floor, resulting in me changing the paper on the floor of her cage, which elicited scared body laguage from her, but not a huge reaction. She now has a plastic door type water dish!
I also added a bathing dish to the floor, but that didn't phase her at all.
MissK

Re: New untame bird - my diary

Post by MissK »

Thanks for making this record. I have a idea that it is better to let the parents raise the babies, and I look forward to how everything unfolds with Squidgette!
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

As you know hamlet was a parent raised, so I'm most curious to see how squidgette progresses. Out of this years chicks, I'm keeping back one parent raised as a pet so I will be following your diary closely. Looking forward to future posts :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Donovan

Post by Donovan »

I don't pay much attention to my bird being scared of a new toy. I just let him be scared of it and it's usually a matter of minutes before he gets brave enough to test drive it. Though, that bravery probably comes from experience. A younger bird may take longer but either way I wouldn't concern myself with the bird being scared of a new toy.. Just put it in there and she'll get used to it.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I personally think you're doing great! Introducing a new toy slowly to a young bird is a good way to help them build solid trust with you that you wouldn't do anything to harm them. :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Opps, I thought I had saved this post as a draft not published it! I didn't get time to finish and proof read it before we went out.

The other thing I have noticed, which I was slow to pick up on, is she feels safer in her travel cage when it is placed on the floor. Nila goes mental at that and must be placed on a table.

Donovan: placing something in her cage that scares her is not compatible with the approach I am taking. That is known as flooding. I am trying to build a relationship with squidgette by offering things she likes, not forcing things on her until she gives up trying to escape.
If she tries to flee from an object I am approaching her with, I step back and leave it in her sight but far enough away that she is no longer worried by it and gradually move it closer as she realises it is not a threat. We also took a similar approach to that with Nila and he now flies over to investigate new toys as soon as he sees them.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Here's a video of the first time she grabbed some apple almost from my hand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZZTtxNKAoE
Constructive criticism is always appreciated, as long as it follows positive reinforcement principals! I am interested in improving myself, not in changing tactics and forcing her to accept me.

I had a funny little incident with her today. I decided to add some more perches and balsa wood to her favourite side of the cage, I dropped some apple in the furthest dish from there but she wouldn't move. She moved a few steps a long when I opened the door and started putting the perch in, when I had maneuver the perch through the small door she climbed on to it and got comfy! I pleaded with her to move to no avail and had to wait about 5 minutes before she stepped off it and I could fit it. :lol:
She hung out in the middle of her cage after that, within a few inches of my hands. I do hope her confidence in me is improving!

*update* After she dropped a piece of fruit I had offered on my finger she had a very gentle nibble on my finger to explore it. I also opened a door and held a treat just inside it and she came over to take it and ate it next to my finger!
I wanted to let her out for a fly before bed, but I am not convinced she is regarding the cage as her space yet. I ran the idea past my boyfriend and he was not convinced either, he started asking where we could borrow a net from if she decided to stay out so I left it. I'm so frustrated by confining her for so long!
Tomorrows goals are to get the boyfriend to give her treats so they form a relationship too and take a picture of her. It's really interesting how she holds herself when I am around now, compared to the pictures Dave posted when we got her.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Claire she is responding brilliantly!!! I think if your hand had been just a second longer there she would have taken it direct...not that it matters now. :D she's going to be a quick learner. But I do agree that it was a good decision not to turn her loose just yet. She needs this time during quarantine to learn that she is no longer a parent raised bird free to come and go as she pleases. And it is my gut feeling her trust would have been hurt by having to be caught up by a net again by the person she is beginning to trust as the treat giver. You are doing a fabulous job. That baby girl couldn't have landed in a better home. She looks relaxed and happy. Keep up the great work :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Thanks. You are right about the net, the only time I'd be prepared to net her is if it's an emergency, though I would use a towel if I could.
As frustrating as it is having her caged for a couple weeks, it's still better than getting into a situation where I have to use force or scare her back into her cage.
I'll tell her about all the poor little clipped birds that live in little cages forever, not just for a couple weeks, if she starts complaining.
The cool thing about that video is that I hadn't started holding treats at that stage, I was just dropping them in the dish and backing off. She probably knew she would still get the treat if she waited, but the typical ringneck piglet attitude overruled caution!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Oh yes...the stomach rules common sense with IRN's :lol:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I'm sure everyone is bored of hearing about my squidgette every 5 minutes, but I just want to share another achievement in bravery she made today, in the hope someone else feels as excited about it as I do! Dearest boyfriend is neither surprised nor impressed.
I really think she is the sweetest bird, she has not even shown any defensive signals. When she is scared it's all about flight. This is lucky because I have not really thought about a strategy to deal with agression...
I opened the big door of the cage to give her treats, she didn't want to climb off the perch she was on for them as it is a bit of an akward climb when you are feeling vulnerable, she just leant towards my hand until i moved the treats closer. After a few treats her leaning became microscopic, so I slowly brought the next treat to her and she gently took it. She even stood on one foot munching away while my hand was inches away! I was actually hoping to start luring as a precursor to target training, but I got home too late and she had already eaten her dinner and had very little motivation.

I'm actually quite surprised how responsive she is. Considering how many untame ringneck stories I've read I thought it would take a lot longer for her to warm up to me, especially after a vet visit for a health check! Side note: she looks very good in tupaware (on the scales).

I'm so happy with her, I hope she likes me a bit too!
MissK

Post by MissK »

IIIIIIIIII am willing to be impressed!

Surely Squidgette is made of special stuff. Or maybe it has something to do with your Doorway. May I pass all my animals through this magic portal at your house?

We all know that imperfect Rocky is perfect, but even little Riff Raff, who will step up, won't take food from my fingers. And she's been here a year!

So good job, Squidgette! Good Job Claire! Dave? Nanny-nanny-nanny!
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

But we all know Rocky is perfect! He adapted and functions perfectly for the environment he lives in. That is my whole goal for Squidgette.

I guess budgies aren't quite as greedy as ringnecks are, just as well or riffraff would be a chubber.

I do think all our pets are influenced by Daves relaxed nature, even bubbles the siamese fighter fish just wants to rub his fins on peoples fingers and has flared a grand total of once in two years. They certainly don't get it from imitating me! :mrgreen: I love how mellow they all are.
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

InTheAir wrote:I'm sure everyone is bored of hearing about my squidgette every 5 minutes
Never! My goodness how fast is your progress! I can't believe it and would be lying if I was to say that I'm not jealous in the slightest! Thanks so much for posting your diary, its good for people to know how the process is and how tough it can be. Although they are all completely different and you can't compare them, its nice to hear about your achievements and to be able to celebrate them with you :)
Loo :)
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

InTheAir wrote:Side note: she looks very good in tupaware
:lol: This cracked me up! A dedicated follower of plastic fantastic fashion!
Loo :)
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

You obviously have a way with birds. While I love to boast the accomplishments of my babies, who doesn't, I can't boast ever taming a baby quite as easily as you. Maybe we should call you the bird whisperer. Or maybe it's just that lovely kiwi accent they all fall for :mrgreen:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

She is still far from tame, she is just not as reactive anymore (providing I stick to the rules). :mrgreen:
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Oh Claire, I'am dying in envy here :mrgreen: . What took you 1 day is taking me more than one moth! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: How? Do you think it's the age. No seriously I'am so proud of your awesome bird-whispering (suspicious magic kiwi accent :twisted: ). I'am defiantly going to follow your progress. But really, who he heard of a diary without pictures. PICTURES!!! :D :D :D
"Live with parrots and you learn to panic"

AlphaWolf
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Alpha, it might be that Squidgette is young and impressionable. She has also had very minimal contact with humans prior to coming here and some of the birds in avairies she could see from her aviary were quite friendly towards the breeder.
My boyfriend is the one who posts pictures, I can't. I might share another video soon though.

I think I had too much expectation of her today, we didn't make much progress at luring when my hand was in the cage. It's partly to do with the perches not being set up appropriately and partly because when she starts hinting for me to bring the treat closer I do it! I'd love to get luring working so I can get her out of her cage. At this stage I'm fairly confident she will just make herself at home on the curtain rail and never enter her cage again if I let her out.

I made an interesting discovery though, young ringnecks are not very refined when it comes to extracting passion fruit seeds that are caught in a fingernail! She basically tried to suck it out and while she was doing that the tip of her beak was digging into my finger. It rather hurt. She seemed to think that was interesting because she tried it a couple more times before she realised taking treats without finger was more efficient.
I am fairly sure she was only exploring, she was using her tongue on my finger. What do you guys think?

Despite my disappointment about not being able to lure her across the cage when my hand was inside it (which was not very realistic anyway) we did have a good day, she let me clean her cage without freaking out and climbed down to eat seeds while I had my hand in the cage. She is happy to move to a different part of the cage if I offer the treat from the outside of the cage.
I will lower my standards tomorrow!
MissK

Post by MissK »

Keep the faith, Claire! She follows a lure outside the cage today, she will come to it inside next week. I believe!
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Can I make a suggestion Claire? When you put your hand in the cage keep your hand in a light fist and place the apple on the back of your hand. :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Thanks guys.
Melissa, good idea. I'm all for offering the hand on every different angle to accustom her to the fact that it never stays the same. I'm not really fussed about getting beaked if the intent is just figuring things out though.

I thought luring would be more successful onto handheld perch since she climbed on a branch I was installing the other day. It worked. She seems to vaguely associated the words step up with a treat coming... I offered my finger instead and she explored it with her beak for a while then put one foot on it and sat there for ages. She also leaned on my hand really hard so she could reach over it to chew my thumbnail. When we tried again later she climbed on my hand and stayed there while she ate her treats. We repeated that about 5 times.

If I hadn't seen her every few weeks since she was a tiny gross squishy thing with feathers poking out I would think she was already. Instead I'm worried she is getting sick!

Now she is not so terrified of people and is associating her cage as a good place, I'm hoping she will come out for a fly and to try out her playstand. I actually left the cage open for an hour this afternoon, but it was her nap time so she didn't even look at it.
MissK

Post by MissK »

What does this mean?
If I hadn't seen her every few weeks since she was a tiny gross squishy thing with feathers poking out I would think she was already. Instead I'm worried she is getting sick!
You don't really think she's sick, do you?
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Claire, she's not getting sick. Relax. Is she active and eating? Bright eyed? Their weight is most definitely less than a mature IRN, but as long as her keel isn't sunken or poking out completely, she's good. I too noticed the difference in weight right off the bat. Skye seemed like a little tubby compared to hamlet. He was so light as a baby. He's catching up though. You're like a new mother right now :D

On the hand thing, it wasn't about being bitten, it was about fear of fingers. But your girl seems to have overcome that too. Such a smart birdie :D

AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

There is something about Claire's birds and geniuses. First Nila and now Squidgette. I'am sure there is something in that kiwi voice! It turns birds into geniuses. :lol: :D 8)

AlphaWolf
MissK

Post by MissK »

I should have her give me a call.........
-MissK
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Oooh Oooh, me too. Actually make that 2 calls :D Off to youtube to watch how to have a kiwi accent :lol:

AlphaWolf
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

You two are too much :lol:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

MissK wrote:What does this mean?
If I hadn't seen her every few weeks since she was a tiny gross squishy thing with feathers poking out I would think she was already tame and accustomed to people * . Instead I'm worried she is getting sick!
You don't really think she's sick, do you?
Sorry
I need to use the preview feature more!
She's bouncing around and eating like a hungry ringneck. Eyes look bright, squawking away at lorikeets. Droppings seem ok, except when I give her too much apple, then they get watery. I just worry because she behaves so differently around me compared to a week ago! I have a tendency to assume Nila is sick atleast once a day too... all he has to do is one strange dropping or fluff himself up and I'm suggesting we take him to the vet.
my boyfriend thinks I'm crazy!
She hasn't been weighed since the vet trip (she was 117g), when she was leaning on my hand to get to my thumbnail her keel felt fine. She felt a lot heavier than Nila on my hand (he sits at about 98g, cos he's a bit special)!
Skyes_crew wrote:You two are too much :lol:
agreed :mrgreen:

Oh funny quirk from the little one, she gets really nervous of me when I wear long sleeved tops. I can't even approach her cage until I remove them. It's only sleeves, dresses with flouncy skirts are fine.
Redzone

Post by Redzone »

AlphaWolf wrote:Oooh Oooh, me too. Actually make that 2 calls :D Off to youtube to watch how to have a kiwi accent :lol:
Might I suggest watching "Beached Whale" & some "flight of the conchords" clips :P

(I'm gonna get in trouble for that)

Actually i'll add this in, in the hope that I don't get poisoned at lunchtime - the "flight of the conchords" guys did a tv advertisement for the "outback steakhouse" chain of restaurants in the usa. So basically they convinced 380 million americans that the kiwi accent was what the australian accent sounded like! Well played nz, well played...
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I recommend "brotown" and "boy" for accents, and the concordes.
I've got to go find the poison to add to lunch for that "beached as" suggestion!
Last edited by InTheAir on Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MissK

Post by MissK »

No poison! No poison!

I get it with the edit.

brotown. On my you tube list!
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I'm a lazy typer, especially when I'm using my phone - punctuation not very accessible on it.
If anyone is interested I put up a video of her stepping up. Anyone want to play spot the handling faults?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q61MbgvFIag

I am now stranded in her bedroom, I let her out of her cage and she is now napping on the curtain rail. I probably should have got luring down a little better first but I really can't stand leaving her cage bound any longer....
I'm sure she will get hungry or thirsty eventually and go back to her cage... I don't have to work until Saturday, lets see who cracks first :lol:
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Claire

Well done with the step up. I can see she looks forward to interacting with you although she's a little tentative still. You've done really well. She is a sweet little bird isn't she?

I liked how you tell her what you're going to do before you do it. I think it will work towards building a communication with her. Something I read of Barbara Heidenreich's said a while back that she doesn't talk much when bird training... she mostly works with body language... which I guess works for her... and I tend to work that way myself... but what I've seen with Nila is that he understands what you say to him much better than my guys do, and it's probably because you talk to him more, and possibly because he's been a lone-bird. I also liked how you let her come to you. I think that's something a lot of people don't do enough of. I also liked how you waited for her to move away before moving your hand out of the cage.

Since you want some critiquing, the only things I can come up with are that you said step up several times in one spot before she did step up. That could lead her to thinking the cue to step up is saying it that many times or confusing what the cue means. I seem to recall Barbara's technique when the bird is learning is to give the cue just as the bird is stepping up so that there is hopefully no confusion as to what the words mean. I don't really think this is a problem though, I'm sure she'll learn it... I'm just trying desperately to find something to critique. The only other thing was what you pointed out with your foot - I find my two sometimes get a bit anxious when moving my feet makes a noise and I'm asking them to do something.

Lovely to see the progression. Well done!

Ellie.
MissK

Post by MissK »

I like it, and, of note, now since you didn't poison Dave, you can call him for back-up!
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Thanks, Ellie! I hadn't even thought about the vocalising! I have a tendency to talk non stop (I wonder where Nila gets that from!). I will make an effort to save my cues like you suggest.
The main thing that I noticed was I did startle her when I offered my hand. I had lured her away from the door before I started in the hope I'd be able to offer my hand before she climbed back down, but she's too quick for me.
It's funny how slow and deliberate her movements are, I think I have inadvertently encouraged that too. That is how I move around her. Hopefully she will start interacting with me at normal speed soon! She climbs around her cage quickly.

After she was out for a couple hours, I managed to convince her to step up and stay by plying her with treats while I climbed down off the couch and returned her to her cage. It took 2 tries to climb down, she had to flap her wings to balance (the first time she didn't think the treats were worth the effort so I tried again a few minutes later).
It helped that she is pretty tired, she doesn't nap properly when I'm around hence why I wanted to put her away and leave her alone. I guess that answers the patience question.
Now she is not so petrified, I hope we can start playing some games and doing fun things together soon!
I can't wait to introduce her to Nila. I hope they will both be stoked with each other.
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

Hi Claire, Nice diary this. I read the whole thing and will follow you progress with interest. Keep it up.

Ash
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Wow I missed a lot. That'll teach me to do other things than the forum :wink:

I love watching a young bird learn new things. It's almost like you can see them pondering their response. The tentative foot placement, the shuffle forward. It's all so awesome! Great job Claire and squidgette. :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Thanks Ash.
Mel, you should know better than to go do other things while Squidgette is awake. Especially when I am trapped in her room (she is distructobeak after all)
She reminds me of a big parrot, like a macaw, the way they step so carefully.
I am a bit worried that having her in a cage has had a bad emotional impact on her....
She's exploring her playstand and is happily trying out the toys and chewing bark.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Lets hope the chainsaw and destructobeak never have the opportunity to be locked in a room together. There'd be nothing left!! I admit when I read that you were trapped in the room with her that I was routing for squidgette. I thought she'd have more stamina. But the mental image of you climbing down the sofa with her while trying to keep you both balanced....priceless :lol: :mrgreen:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Lol! There would be no room left, they would eat their way into the ceiling and beyond!
We have a houseful of artists now; Nila paints, Squidgette sculpts, I amuse people for a living and Dave is just a clown...
Thank the universe for bananas, or I'd be sleeping on the sofa tonight!
When she was on her play stand Dave gave her some treats too, she wasn't even worried that it was him not me! She's so cool! Unfortunately, Dave left Nila on his tree and Nila got bored and decided to play on the kitchen bench where he found a watermelon. We had wondered why he was so quiet..... He had the power squirts after that! Dave has been convincing him to eat pellets all evening to combat it!
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Oh btw, the only beaking I got today was a precursory safety check before she climbed from the curtain rail to my finger today. She must have realised that fingernails don't come off, so they are boring.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Awww poor Nila. Is he feeling a bit neglected? It's gotta be hard for him to hear her and not be able to see her.

MissK

Post by MissK »

It all sounds very exciting and very cool!
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I find it strange that Nila imitates her call in his conversations already, yet never answers her when she calls... I guess they want to be formally introduced first.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Help... We have a stalemate again.. I must have given her too many treats today and now when I try to lure her anywhere she just sits there and yawns! She doesn't even untuck her foot when I offer a hand... I guess that means she isn't worried about me anymore.
This wouldn't be a problem except that she is out of the cage....
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Ummm...jammies and the couch. Hope you have a good book in there :mrgreen:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

She got hungry after an hour and stepped up! I think I need a beer fridge in that room for similar occasions :mrgreen: I did get the water jug and some ice while Ellie supervised her.
I just realised I forgot to have lunch in all the excitement!
Dave brought Nila home, we were very naughty and introduced them. Squidgette was terrified of the green pin feather monster!
Poor little girl, we thought she'd feel safer with another bird around. They did have a Kale eating race in their respective cages, after that Nila wanted to go to his tree, so the little is getting some peace from us.
MissK

Post by MissK »

I guess Nila's going to have to learn about approaching slowly!
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Does Nila have the word slowly in his vocabulary lol. :D