Bird sleeping in the open..?

Moderator: Mods

sharonmm

Bird sleeping in the open..?

Post by sharonmm »

Hi,

I have a question about IRN's in aviaries I hope someone can help with..
I have a pair of IRN's that are pretty new to aviary life. They have an open flight aviary with a shelter at one end. Every night they sleep in the open at the front of the aviary. They will happily visit the shelter during the day to escape the sun but never at night..

Does anyone else have IRN's that sleep in the open or is it just that mine are new to the aviary and don't feel safe in the shelter bit yet? ( I checked a little while ago and they are clinging to the side of the wire mesh as high as they can go, can they actually sleep like this? )

I am worried about them freezing to death if they sleep in the open much longer. It's starting to cool down here and will soon be below freezing..

Thanks..
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

I dunno, I'd be worried too. I heard IRNs dont take to very cold weather very well.
Jade

Post by Jade »

Don't be worried. My aviary birds sleep out in the open section of their aviary but in cooler weather, retreat to the warmth at the back. They aren't stupid and if they are cold, they'll get into shelter.
birdman5000

Post by birdman5000 »

if it gets too cold you cloud also put a heat lamp with a bulb that emits little light and a lot of heat mostly used for reptiles most pet shops carry everything you need for this
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

It doesnt get that cold in Australia. I'm worried about zero and sub zero temperatures. In that case maybe think about heating options or maybe putting a cover like a tarp or something down the sides of the aviary mainly to keep out the wind.
sharonmm

Post by sharonmm »

Thanks for your replies..

I am in Canberra so it get pretty cold, as far as Australia goes anyway:) 0 to -4 C...

They are still sleeping in the open but I have put up a perch as high as possible and put some shadecloth over the top to protect them a bit. Hopefully that will be enough until they get a little smarter and learn where it is warmer.