New bird to be

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

InTheAir

Re: New bird to be

Post by InTheAir »

Thanks Ash and welcome back!
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

The name squidgette seems to be sticking. I think it suits her, elegant, graceful and unique. :mrgreen:
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

She's beautiful Claire and Dave. I love the color. Her flights are so interesting. Her face is so sweet. Any names yet? What about tamaryn?
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Lol posted at the same time

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

That's funny
When she settles in a bit more I will try and get more pics of her tail and flights.

I am convinced every young ringneck looks so sweet, even the one that latched onto the breeders finger looked so innocent!
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

That is a beautiful SL Edged Violet, nice bird Congratz !

I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Thanks.
Is there a translation on that colour scheme? I still haven't figured out what sl and edged means, apart from a pretty bird.
Ring0Neck wrote:

That is a beautiful SL Edged Violet, nice bird Congratz !

Edit: sl = sex linked?
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Yes.

Full mutation name is : Violet blue, Sex Linked Dominant Edged
is it a girl or a boy?

I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Girl, I think she was dna'd
We have a turquoise blue cock, don't know if we will breed them as they are house pets, but wanted a pretty girl just incase they/we get clucky...
Is that an ok pairing? We figured anything violet would compliment turquoise blue. We thought she was lavender.
Btw what does edged actually mean?
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

I was going to say it is a hen, based on its color .
Yes i think you have a good pairing in case you decide to let them breed later on.
From that pairing all Males will be sl edged.

Yes it is a common thing in Oz, edged to be confused with Cinnamon, mainly because most edged have been mixed with cinnamon perhaps when imported, yours does not have cinnamon.
less then 2 years ago i would have also said Lavender .

Edged: refers to flight feathers (wings) being body color with an edged pattern on them
cinnamon would have a visible darker brown instead
see this pic below of a mature bird
http://parakeet.me/irn/f/dftuqEdged.jpg

I'm an Explorer
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Thanks for explaining.
We have been marveling at that patterning on her wings since we picked her up yesterday. It's a stunning combination of colours and tones.
MissK

Post by MissK »

I told you that name was gonna stick. But there's still time to name her MissK! :lol:

Big congratulations!
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Lol missk! Dave has suddenly decided squidgette sounds too pretentious! lol seriously...
I don't quite get where he is coming from on that! It must be a cultural thing.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

She is beautiful! Congratulations Clair and Dave! Let me know if you'd like me to baby-site Nila at all (even for an hour or two) whilst you are getting acquainted with Squidgette.

Ellie.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I really think tamaryn suits her :)

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Thanks, Ellie. I'd love it if you could come visit her later in the week!
If you think Nila is a piggy you will be very impressed by her, she has had a bit of everything in her chop bowl! She makes Nila look like a picky little brat! I'm pretty impressed, I hope it continues.
She really liked Daves cereal too. She hasn't had much seed and I threw a tiny bit of pellets in there to, but can't tell if she's tried them yet.

Mel, I want to work on Dave until he comes round to Squidgette, it sounds even better if you say it with a fake French accent too. :wink:
MissK

Post by MissK »

Dear goodness; if you Google Squidgette you actually get a lot of returns! Who Knew?!?!?!
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

:lol: even someone on a dating site used that is their profile. ... I wasn't brave enough to check out the pictures though. ..
Redzone

Post by Redzone »

I think it might be Claire's kiwi accent that's making the name sound pretentious :P
MissK

Post by MissK »

I bet it's so cute!
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

One of my club friends is from New Zealand. I'm going to ask her to say it so I can see if it sounds pretentious :lol:

MissK

Post by MissK »

I have no such resource. Maybe I'll just rewatch Crocodile Dundee and take it from there.........

Some naming brainstorm (maybe brainshower....):
Squidgette
SkweeJETta (pseudo-French)
Squidgin (like my little pigeon)
Jetta (you could name her after a car, or a 747!)
Etta (why not)
Ella (also nice)
Tamaryn (a lovely name)
Tamarind (hey, that's a food!)
Squiggy (have any of you ever seen the old TV show Laverne and Shirley.....?)
MissK (....... :wink: )
Squeegee (least pretentious name possible)
Squeakie (if she squeaks)
Squab (could be a pet name of sorts)
Betty Bluep (you know you want to name her Betty Bluep!)
Spiffy (she is pretty spiffy!)
Luvvie (my vote!)
Pretty Girl (brought to you by the one who used to keep both a Little Miss Kitty AND a Mr Cat, so maybe not the best choice)
Star (as in Star of India)
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

MissK wrote:I have no such resource. Maybe I'll just rewatch Crocodile Dundee and take it from there.........

Some naming brainstorm (maybe brainshower....):
Squidgette
SkweeJETta (pseudo-French)
Squidgin (like my little pigeon)love this one
Jetta (you could name her after a car, or a 747!)
Etta (why not)
Ella (also nice)
Tamaryn (a lovely name)im biased, this was my choice :wink:
Tamarind (hey, that's a food!)
Squiggy (have any of you ever seen the old TV show Laverne and Shirley.....?)
MissK (....... :wink: ) ummm...no comment :lol:
Squeegee (least pretentious name possible)
Squeakie (if she squeaks)
Squab (could be a pet name of sorts)im picturing a fancy pigeon
Betty Bluep (you know you want to name her Betty Bluep!)
Spiffy (she is pretty spiffy!)
Luvvie (my vote!)
Pretty Girl (brought to you by the one who used to keep both a Little Miss Kitty AND a Mr Cat, so maybe not the best choice)
Star (as in Star of India)
maybe...and this is my final vote...tamaryn star

And now I will forever leave you alone about names :D I have no issues with squidgette. It's kind of cute. I'm just trying to keep your mind open for possibilities. I am a bit concerned that her nickname might be squid :?

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Thanks for the suggestions guys! What about Miss Squidgette Tamaryn-Star? Squidgin is a great nick name too! Dave calls Nila his little pigeon, so it fits right in.

Missk, after Dundee watch Boy for an accurate kiwi accent reference. The trailer is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwqfR8g-Qow
MissK

Post by MissK »

That looks like fun all by itself!
-MissK
Redzone

Post by Redzone »

Lol yeah boy is a great movie! Ps Squab is the word used to describe the base of a seat, I think thats tempting fate a little lol
MissK

Post by MissK »

At least as much as a young bird we eat!!!
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Redzone wrote:Lol yeah boy is a great movie! Ps Squab is the word used to describe the base of a seat, I think thats tempting fate a little lol
No squished birdies lol

MissK...I thought it was a fancy name for a young pigeon ???

I like Claire's suggestion. Miss Squidgette Tamaryn-Star (nickname squidgin) I hope she can live up to that stage name :D

MissK

Post by MissK »

So, Miss Squidgin it is, then....... 8) I guess Claire and Dave will thank us for fixing this issue up for them.

The squab would be a young pigeon, especially one arriving on the dinner plate. Gastronomically, I think the term may be applied to young game birds in general, though I may be mistaken. :shock: I guess it could be a little disrespectful, all things considered, to name the pet that way. But it would be funny!
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I don't know what they would do without us to guide them really. :wink:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

You guys are too funny! She's spent 2 days thinking I am going to eat her, I am not naming her after any kind of food :wink:

On the bright side, Squidgette is starting to think I am an intelligent being! You can see it in her eyes now. She seems to have noticed my attempts at speaking parrot body language and is checking out her food dish as I leave the room.
I have been dropping treats in it and leaving as soon as she is calm.

She didn't love the vet toweling her, but the vet was very gentle. The vet nurse was trying to figure out the mutation. Is there cinnamon in there too?
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Is there cinnamon in there too?
I'd say No ! no cinnamon. unless the feet are pink & not greyish color like in the pics.
being a hen she looks similar to a double factor edged male, much lighter. (hens don't get DF)
as i mention earlier, most people qualify edged hens or df edged males as cinnamon for their lighter phenotype hence mixing it with cinnamon thinking they are putting cinnamon x cinnamon.
I'm an Explorer
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Thanks. I will pass that on to her, she was very interested.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Just wondering if there is any interest in me posting my progress diary, albeit an abridged version. I don't think anyone cares what colour poops she had each day (besides me).
MissK

Post by MissK »

I would read a thread on Squidgette. Actually, have been so far...... :)

And I don't see harm in putting in a one-line on her poop. What the heck. Everyone here has at least a faint interest in bird poop, I'm guessing. As Ellie pointed out to me some time earlier, you can use the forum to keep your bird notes in one place.

About the mutation- I noticed that I call all blue/violet birds "Blue" unless they really look "Purple". :lol: Green birds to me are "Green" unless they are "Olive", which in my world means any green with hints of brown in it. Lutino Birds are "Yellow" and Albino and Pallidino are, of course "White" or "Whitish".

I'm a mutation hobbyist's disgust!

Isn't it interesting how the colours are really fascinating to some of us and then to others they're just "Blue" and "Green"? It's not that I'm not interested in the colours, just uncharacteristically not obsessed with the nitty gritty of them. Doesn't stop me from thinking I might like to see a "Grey" bird in my living room.......

Just had some spare room in my brain today for rambling thoughts. :D
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

MissK...I'm shocked :o you more than any of us usually see the shades of grey in between :D

I would love to see a blog about squidgette and her progress, but maybe weekly. Otherwise ill be chained to my computer ever more than I already am and my house would fall down around me while my kids and birds take over. And I vote no poop lol. I see enough of it :mrgreen:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

:lol: Mel, they are very good looking poops though, even the beautiful dark green one she shot through the bars and onto to carpet! I'm slightly worried that one will stay a permanent feature of the house.... mild soap and water didn't fix it.... I might have to remove her from the room and wash the carpet with yucky stain removers.

I think Squidgettes colour does need a common name. Telling your friends she's a sl edged violet really doesn't explain anything over the phone.... maybe blueberry ripple?
It sounds as tasty as she looks!
What colour do you call her, missk?
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Oh we have a new development! I'm probably going to regret being so pleased about this soon, but she's found her voice! She's been making horrible ringneck noises since after breakfast. Luckily Nila slept through it. It's going to be a bit interesting around here when they start contact calling from other ends of the house. .. deafening might be a better word. ..
Redzone

Post by Redzone »

I hope she picks up Nila's contact call, not the other way round. As if thats gonna happen though lol
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

InTheAir wrote:Mel, they are very good looking poops though, even the beautiful dark green one she shot through the bars and onto to carpet! I'm slightly worried that one will stay a permanent feature of the house.... mild soap and water didn't fix it.... I might have to remove her from the room and wash the carpet with yucky stain removers.
Have you tried baking soda and vinegar? You need to mix them on the stain itself as the chemical reaction occurring when they meet is what helps to lift the stain.

Maybe you need some dropsheets down until she can share Nila's space?

Ellie.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Just call her violet edged. You can drop the sl lol. But if you'd really like a common name I like blueberry ripple. Maybe MissK will come up with something too. :D

MissK

Post by MissK »

Fine.
She's ~Periwinkle.~

Did I ever tell you about my first Budgie, Little Bluebird of Mayhem? Breeder paperwork listed him as a rare cobalt opaline........

He was blue.
I called him Birdie.
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Lol missk. I'd probably just describe him as a very pretty budgie!
I think the name of the colour should evoke an image of the colour that doesn't require years of intense study on mutations.... Turquoise makes sense, cinnamon makes sense, pallid makes sense but edged doesn't really conjure up a sense of what it looks like... if I tell my mum my new bird is edged she will be imagine it has violet outlines on its feathers or something. Lol
Maybe her name should be Miss Squidgette blueberry ripple tamaryn-star.. That sound like a crazy horse or dog breeder show name though. I once bought a chestnut pony called brookefields little boy blue. I called him pony, but he would whinney at you across the paddock if you yelled 'eh, bro'.
Wow I ramble a lot.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Thanks for the suggestion Ellie. That sound like fun. I had moved the cage off the cardboard when she dropped that beauty. She is even better at flinging passion fruit than Nila is too! And she made up a new game, knock the water bowl on the floor. She did it a couple times this morning before I decided to to use a different dish for water.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

My favorite game is fling the raspberries at the white wall :mrgreen:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Skyes_crew wrote:My favorite game is fling the raspberries at the white wall :mrgreen:
have you tried it with pasta? I highly recommend it.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Ill have to try that one :lol:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

You can tell if it's cooked properly cos it glues itself to the wall!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I've heard that. I was always afraid if my kids saw me do it then they'd be throwing their dinner at the wall. We had a thanksgiving incident in 2008 that ended in a food fight. I was shocked when my husband flung the first spoonful of mashed potatoes. My kids thought it was hysterical. I couldn't let them think mom wasn't cool. So I retaliated. My dining room carpet was never the same again. :mrgreen:

MissK

Post by MissK »

I don't care what ya say; deep down, everybody loves a food fight.

Pomegranate - Rocky didn't care about pomegranate, and Dr. Scott displayed no evidence of having tried it, but Riff Raff had a pomegranate-stained head for WEEKS. It was so unattractive I sort of decided I would not serve that again.

I'm interested to see who learns which call at the Nila/Squidgette homestead. On the one hand, Squidgin is a baby, engineered to learn from what's around her. On the other hand, Nila is a more advanced learner, and has been practicing the skill of learning for some time. I feel while Squidgette might be more naturally disposed to learn, Nila is probably better at it overall.

Of course I see a third alternative - teach them both a novel call at the same time. If I had to place money on it, my money would be on Miss Squidgette learning the Nila call. I don't have any money, of course (the dog ate it), so I'll just offer a piece of jute. Good thing I have plenty of that!
-MissK