Harrison's

Moderator: Mods

Datsun and Family

Harrison's

Post by Datsun and Family »

YAY!!! I finally found ONE place in New Zealand that stocks Harrison's! Up until now all I could find was Kaytee's and though it's better than nothing I am not happy about the amount of colouring and preservatives.

I still have not found any ZuPreem or Roudybush or well anything. So Harrison's it is.

Currently Datsun is munching away on the coarse pellets I have placed on a mirror on the couch next to me. Audi was weaned using Kaytees so he has taken to them quite well, Chev however is not very impressed!

So, those of you who use it, how do you find Harrison's? I had a taste and its ok and the birds are dealing with it for now. Datsun keeps asking the bird in the mirror what they're doing! But shes eating it anyway.

Image[code][/code]
-Chamon-

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Ok ok...gonna have to try those! Is it easier to find them online I wonder? BTW which one is Audi and Chev? I don't think I really know that...of course I know who Datsun is LOL.

Dani and Prinny
Datsun and Family

Audi is a lovebird and Chevy is my budgie.

I found this site and it told me how to get it in NZ. One vet clinic in the whole country stocks it!

http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/
-Chamon-

Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

I use Harrisons as part of my daily diet for the birds, it is an excellent pellet. If your birds don't take to the adult lifetime or high potency ask the vet to get you some pepper... havent met a bird yet who didnt like that flavor!

They are also making Harrisons with Palm Oil in it, the vet would have to special order it, but its a fantastic thing for pluckers or birds who suffer from dry skin.

Athena
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Ok, so this is a good bird food?? Cuz I checked out Chamon's web site and they sell it at the vet just down the road from me. I'm assuming it's expensive. Should I check into feeding my babies this? I currently feed Zupreem cuz that's what remmi and milo were weaned on. Byndi eats seed and I can't get him interested in pellets to save my life. So... Thanks for any info on this. I want my babies to be as healthy as possible!

Jen
Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

Its a very good food. One of the best out there... and yep, its expensive. We just got 50lbs, and paid close to 275 (with 30 in shipping). Of course we can actually go through 50lbs LOL ;)

I think... at the vets office here its like 33 dollars for 5 lbs? I havent bought in small amounts in so long!

Athena
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

JEEPERS! That is expensive!! Well I might just have to buy a bag and mix it in. Don't know if I can afford to pay that and have my Remmikins drop it all into his water dish like he does his food now. Is Zupreem ok?? Pretty funny cuz Remmi is on a kick now where he won't eat the purple ones. He doesn't put them in his water dish but leaves them all in his food bowl. This morning nothing but the purple pellets. And Milo won't eat the yellow banana shaped ones. Everything will be gone from his bowl but those. Funny little creatures these birds of ours!
Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

LOL, hubby and I were just discussing that yesterday.

Zupreem even addresses the color prefrence on their website, saying all pellets are flavored the same, so its the visual that the bird doesnt care for ;)

Zupreem isnt a bad pellet at all. I do worry about the colors, but honestly if your bird is doing well on them... they are doing well with the colors.

Athena
Datsun and Family

Datsun loves the high potency diet, a combo of both large and fine bites. My budgie however refuses anything except seed and apple. Any advice for that little ratbag?

Audi is a champ, because I raised him and forced him to eat all sorts of crap and because of the bond that little guy has with me he will take just about anything I offer him. He eats a diet of some seed, lots of pellets and heaps of fruit and veg. I give him plenty of millet because he is so active and very scrawny. If only I could cork his loud mouth and overactive bottom he would be perfect :wink: :roll: hehe
-Chamon-

jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Chamon that was too funny about Audie--did I spell that right. How funny.
Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

If you get a budgie to eat pellets, you are a champ! I cant get the little buggers to do it, and I try and try. One of my friends managed to get them to do it, but hers are the only ones I know who do it!

Athena
Datsun and Family

Thanks Athena, that makes me feel better.

I wont give up on Chevy but I wont beat myself up if she wont eat them.

I have tried everything I can think of but budgies are just so darn stubborn!
-Chamon-

Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

I swear they'd live on Millet given the choice ;)

I had my last pet Budgie for years and years, and fought her daily on the pellets battle. In 15 years I never made a dent.

Athena
Darlene

Harrisons pellets

Post by Darlene »

I have been trying to convert my IRN to pellets for monthes. My avian vet has the Harrisons Pellets and he uses Harrisons for his birds. It is less expensive becouse I have been buying differant kinds of seed mixes and pellet mixes to find a good diet that my IRN will eccept. It gets expensive. And my vet showed me there is hardly any waste at the bottom of the cage with his parrots. And Harrisons is certified organic and even humans can eat it. My problem is I don't see my IRN eating the pellets. I started by mixing the old diet with the Harrisons. Then I am concerned he will be so stubborn that he will loose too much weight and get under weight. I went on the Harrisons web site and it did recommend that you can use the Harrisons mash to help with the conversion. I'm not going to give up, I will keep trying. I have even eaten the pellets in front of him, HEY! not bad. :lol: I am sold on the Harrisons pellets, I just have to get my bird sold on it. I am almost ready to remove all food eccept the harrisons and see how long it takes him to get hungry enough to eat it. But I cave, becouse he follows me around and begs like he is hungry. It takes ( tough Love) ... I'm too soft.