Best recipe Contest

Moderator: Mods

InTheAir

Best recipe Contest

Post by InTheAir »

Nila is bored of my cooking so he has offered to donate a prize for a recipe contest.

It goes like this: you post your recipe on here and over the first week or 2 of September I will make them all and see what Nila thinks is the best recipe.

The winner will be posted a beautiful, beak painted canvas that Nila painted today. It is a 8cm by 6.5 cm canvas painted with water colours. It looks a bit like the native topknot pidgeon that scared him this morning by flying past the window, but with a hole in the middle of it and no beak and different colours, apart from that it's identical. The artist has named it "Peekabooboo!"
A photo of this great prize will be posted by our technical team soon.

The rules:
The healthier the better.
Must be from scratch, no packet mixes for humans.
Can be cooked or raw food
Pellets are an allowable ingredient if it is roudybush or can be substituted with Roudybush.
No refined sugar whatsoever. He also dislikes honey and orange juice.
The more Green vegetables that your recipe can convince his birdiness to eat in one sitting the more favourable it will be with the person who will be going to the post office.
Entries close on the last day of August.

May the healthiest, tastiest meal win!

Regards,
Claire
Skyes_crew

Re: Best recipe Contest

Post by Skyes_crew »

You're on :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

MissK

Post by MissK »

Dude, I can't even cook for PEOPLE! But I might try. :) The Rockstar is pretty hard to please, so if HE will eat......

-MissK

PS: Rocky also avoids honey - what's UP with these bird brains?
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I love the way you guys already have your recipe books out before you have even seen a picture of the prize.
I'm worrying that I may have misrepresented how good the painting is now!
REDZOOOOONE! Post a photo!

Missk: raw food is still cooking to me, as long as it's appetising to his birdiness. I'm sure Rocky will help you out. I don't get how Nila can love biscuits and not like honey. .. I'm the opposite, I'll take the honeycomb!

We have a little thing going when we take nila out to cafes where we order a ringneck sized salad. We have had some brilliant little art works presented to him on relish dishes. The one we went to last weekend made him a carrot slinky. He generally just eats the carrot and some beat leaves or silverbeat, no matter how pretty it is. He likes kale this week, but not so much beetroot leaves... Next week he will probably like something different though.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

It came from Nila. It doesn't matter what it looks like!!! :D

I think it's sweet that the cafes by you will serve Nila up a little birdy salad. Hawaii is still at war with the whole pets allowed at eating establishments. Even outdoor cafes. Hopefully it will change soon.

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I think people are too taken aback by a bird being in their shop with a harness on to notice he is an animal. We usually sit outside anyway, but we have been allowed to sneak him inside on cold days with permission from the proprietors. It helps that he is very careful to warn us when he needs to go toilet so we can get him to the garden in time!
I think one Chinese restaurant waiter let us in because they thought he was a fake parrot, they looked very surprised when he started eating.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Fake parrot eating - HAHAHA! That's fantastic.

My dogs are not allowed to go to restaurants, although they did gain admittance to the outdoor area of a beach restaurant on the boardwalk off season. They sat on the bench on either side of me and were very well behaved. There was a woman at the next table, with her back to us, and at one point she just turned her head around to look our way at the exact same time one of mine turned her head back to look at the woman. I don't know who looked first, but it was just a perfect little look, and then everybody went back to their own business, nothing said. In hindsight I guess the woman's companion probably said "Hey, there's a dog behind you......"

:lol:

-MissK
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hehehe that's cute.
It is pretty common here to have dogs in the edge of the outdoor dining areas, especially near the beach. I guess since the wild birds go all over outdoor tables at every opportunity, a bird on someone's shoulder isn't that much of a worry.
I generally pick cafés that have a bowl of water out for dogs, it's a safe bet they won't mind birds.
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

Photo!!!!
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Redzooooooone!
I will try to break into his computer and upload the picture he took. If Nila can upload photos, I'm sure he can help me.
Redzone

Post by Redzone »

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Beautiful work Nila :D

MissK

Post by MissK »

Love this. I see a Quail in high grass in the rain. It's FANTASTIC to me how we can just look at this stuff and see representation. Honestly, human brains don't need recreational drugs!

I notice Nila has a particular strength on the down stroke. I also appreciate the overall separation of the orange and green - my stiffest argument against the Caique for my house was, in fact, that I can't stand orange and green together....... Can we make a case for racial memory in birds using Nila's representations of birds in his work?

-MissK
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Lol
Miss k, please can you help Nila write the blurb to go with his paintings when he has an exhibition or enters a visual arts comp? Interestingly enough, there is a satirical art competition over here that is judged by a parrot....

I just looked through his other paintings and I swear there is some kind of bird in most of them. I am stone cold sober too (admittedly I am a proud parront, so I am slightly biased).

Ok, bring on the recipes, before I get too attached to having the prize on my bookshelf and decide to keep it! :mrgreen:
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Fruit & Nut Bars

1 C Whole Wheat Flour
1 C Old Fashioned Oats
1/2 C Dried Cranberries
1/2 C Raisins
1/2 C Dried Apricots
1 C Walnuts Finely Chopped (or birds favorite nuts)
1/3 C Water + approximately 1-2 Tbsp

Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Cover an 8-inch x 8-inch pan with parchment paper.
Place prunes, raisins and apricots in a mini-chopper or food processor and pulse until well chopped.
Combine flour, oats, chopped fruit mixture, nuts, and 1/3 cup water in a large bowl and knead with your hands until a ball of dough forms. (Add more water if the mixture is too dry.)
Press dough firmly and evenly into the prepared pan. Cut into squares with a sharp knife before placing in the oven.
Bake for 25 minutes, until baked through but still soft (don’t overbake them or the bars will be dry and tough).

On this one you can reduce the amount of nuts based on your birds requirements. I used low sugar fruits but you can use others, just make sure they are dried fruits otherwise they will be too wet.
Last edited by Skyes_crew on Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Sweet potato Bars

I put 3 medium peeled sweet potatoes, each wrapped in a wet paper towel in the microwave
for 5 minutes. Then I placed a half cup of walnuts in my food processor and ground them up.
I then cut up the cooked potatoes and placed them in the processor and ground it all together.
place a half cup of ZuPreem fruity pellets for PARAKEETS ( because they are so tiny) into the bowl along with the potato-nut mixture. Or whatever pellets you are using.

After mixing well... smooth the mixture out onto some aluminum foil to about 1/2 inch or so deep.
Then take a knife and cut the mixture into squares and pop it into a 400 degree oven (not preheated) for about 10 to 15 minutes. Be careful because you don't want to brown this mixture,
although the edges might be a little brown (throw that away). By doing the above, you're
accomplishing two things: The tiny pellets are soaking up some of the stickyness and adding texture,
and the cooking is adding firmness. Let cool completely.
Last edited by Skyes_crew on Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Pumpkin Banana Oat Bran Muffins

3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup oat bran
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice

2 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 Tbsp Cooked Mashed Pumpkin
1 egg, and 1 egg white, beaten
1 carrot, peeled and grated
1/4 cup raisins

1. Preheat oven to 425°
2. Line muffin tin with liners or coat well with cooking spray
3. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well
4. Combine all wet ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
5. Pour wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Be careful not to over mix.
6. Fill each muffin cup 3/4 of the way full and bake for 15 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and let cool.

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Veggie bread

1 cup sugar-free corn meal
1/2 cup sugar-free cornbread mix
1 cup pellets (soaked)
1 cup each of diced yams,
squash, carrots and broccoli
1/2 cup chopped raw carrots
1/2 cup chopped nuts
3 eggs with crushed shells
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Soften pellets in water, then mash.
Mix in dry ingredients until thoroughly blended.
Puree vegetables, eggs and raw carrots, using a blender or food processor.
Mix into dry ingredients to make a thick batter.
Mix in vegetable oil.
If batter is too thick, add water, but not so much that dough can be poured.
Spread dough into a baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes, or until done.
Cool. Cut into serving size pieces and freeze until needed.

For this one you can switch up the veggies. I've seen some people replace the cornmeal with the jiffy brand cornbread mix. That particular cornbread mix has a lot of sugar in it. If you can't find the sugar free at least get the one with the lowest sugar content.

If you need more let me know. I hope Nila enjoys :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Melissa: You gotta be in it to win it, eh?
Can you give me a break down of ingredients that's in the cornmeal mix? I doubt we get the same brands here, and I don't use packet mixes. I'll try that one on Dave, it looks good (minus the egg shells and pellets) :mrgreen:
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I couldn't sleep last night so I thought I would write out my top choices. Don't mean to seem over zealous. :oops: I couldn't decide which I liked better. Plus Nilas been bugging Skye for some recipes :wink:

For the cornmeal mix....I'm giving you the dry ingredient list for my cornbread. Just mix it all together and take a 1/2 cup of that.

2/3 cup all-purpose flour (you can use whole wheat flour)
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal (you can replace with sugar free)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Oh and make sure you crush the shells good so that the mixture is smooth before you bake :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Looks great. Thanks for that.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Only a few days left of August, peeps!
Skyes crew is in a very strong position to win at this stage, is anyone going to give her some competition?

Regards,
Claire and Nila
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Darn...thought I would just sneak away with that one lol. :D

Melika

Post by Melika »

My only recipe that I feel I can admit to creating is the one posted in the diet sticky, but here you go anyway. :)

Hane and Tsume's Sweet Potato Mash

Boil a sweet potato or two (quartered and skin on) til easily pierced with a fork then mash it.

Mix in a lot of finely diced or small uncooked veggies (carrots, squashes, peppers, cauliflower, peas, corn (though corn is a grain, NOT a veggie), etc. Broccoli can be used but I find it flavours the mix strongly so I won't mix it in every time. Optional: sprinkle in a little cayenne pepper for a spicy flavour.

Scoop the mix into ice cube trays and freeze for individual portions, putting in a freezer bag when hardened.

Warm a cube on the stove or microwave (stir a lot if you decide to use a microwave to avoid hotspots) and serve.

They also enjoy it cold (semi-thawed), but go mad over it when it is warm. (:
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hi Melika,

Thanks for the entry, I already feed it from the other thread!
I will take it off the menu for a week before Nila taste tests the results of this to give you a fair chance here!

Regards,
Claire
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Oooh it's September already, time for me to start cooking some delicious birdy meals!
Melika

Post by Melika »

I bet Nila will love them all. XD IRNs are PIGS!
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

Oh Claire! Where did this thread come up from now! Started in july and I only see it now :lol: Too late for my recipes :roll:

Ash
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I vote for Ash to be allowed to enter :D

Little Buttercup

Claire is already in the test kitchen! :)
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I haven't started cooking yet! I'm slack!
Enter away, Ash.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

When Claire said shed be cooking around the second week of September, what she really meant is sometime before Christmas :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Haha probably!
But, seriously, I am going drag racing at a little event in 2 weeks time. I have only actually been to one practise session ever and I have to make a few modifications to my car (not to mention help Dave retrim the interior of his), so I can't imagine I will be in the kitchen much over the next 2 weeks. I don't know why I entered! I don't even like drag racing..

Ash, if you get a recipe up here by the end of the month I will add it to the comp.
There is a slight beak mark on the prize now btw....Nila signed it when he was bored.
MissK

Post by MissK »

What, you're going to get into a race car and go? And you don't like that?
:mrgreen: Pretty jealous, here.
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I think the drag race is going to be a lot of fun. My dad and I used to do that when I was younger. We had a 67 chevelle blue with white rally stripes. Oh I loved that car. Sigh.....

To be single without kids again.....

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Haha I never thought there would be speed freaks on here!
Drag racing is so short, and the faster your car goes the less value for money you get out of a run :wink: atleast I'm guaranteed a better deal than Dave is getting, cos his car can get to the finish in less than 11 seconds. Never hold a cup of coffee in Daves car, you wear it even with a lid on it!
The thing that really worries me, besides having nowhere legal to practise nearby, is everyone does burn outs before their run. I don't do burn outs, it's a non negotiable. I putter up to the start line like a Nanna.

Mel, what a cool car! Maybe when the kids grow up you can get one for transporting your birds around. :mrgreen:
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

You...putter??? :lol: come on, give it a go. You might like it :mrgreen:

I can see myself in 10 years in a 69 Camaro with Cyrano on the dashboard with aviators on riding shotgun. :mrgreen:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Lol your passenger seat can just have perches all over it!

If I ever have the money to have a midlife crisis that involves buying an expensive car I think I'd buy a rally car and spend all my weekends racing it... Nila can co drive for me cos dave gets car sick. That'd be more fun than a ferrari!

I can imagine dave or Nila would sound the same when the car slides offf the road around a corner, they'd both be shout what are you doing?!!!
Little Buttercup

Finally i get to post recipes for Nila!

Here we go:

Pita Pockets Foragers:

In a food processor (or by hand) finely chop fresh or frozen spinach, carrots, raw zucchini or yellow squash, and walnuts.

Add cooked brown rice and whole kernels of corn to the mixture.

In a bowl, stir in only enough plain yoghurt to the chopped veggies/rice mixture so that it remains thick. Spoon mixture into a pita pocket and serve whole or cut in half.

Nila can burrow into the bread to get to the yummy stuff, you just have to let him know what awaits inside the bread to get them started.
Little Buttercup

And here is another one:

Quinoa Mash

Wash & Soak ½ cup of Quiona, with ½ cup other grain, such as rice, kamut, wheat, buckwheat, etc (2-12 hrs). Rinse well.

Scrub and finely chop a large sweet potato, place in sauce pan with grains and 2 cups of water, add a generous teaspoon each of cinnamon and cayenne pepper, bring mixture to a boil, then turn down to a simmer for approximately 20 minutes, adding additional water if needed.

While this mixture is cooking, finely chop a good handful of greens such as kale, collards, mustard, turnip, dandelion, etc; as well as about a cup of other seasonal veggies, broccoli, corn, carrots, zucchini, green beans, etc.

Add chopped veggies, and greens to sweet potato & grain mixture, cook for about 5 more minutes.

Turn off heat.

Add a handful of seasonal (or frozen) berries, or other fruit.

Divide up into meal sized portions and freeze.

Thaw one portion for serving.

Prior to serving, I put in a few drops of Omega 3 or coconut oil. A spoonful of fresh sprouts, soaked grains, or chopped nuts may also be mixed in at this point.

*Pumpkin or winter squash may be substituted for sweet potato.
Little Buttercup

Another one that Kiwi loves

Bulgur, Corn & Greens
This one can be ready in under 25 minutes!

1 cup bulgur
2 cups water
290g frozen corn kernels
500g greens (kale or collards), rinsed and torn into bite-size pieces
2 Tablespoons fresh chopped basil (optional)
2 Tablespoons lemon juice

Cook bulgur in water in a large covered pot for 10 minutes over medium heat. Add remaining ingredients. Heat 10 minutes longer, stirring occasionally. Serve warm.
Little Buttercup

1 part small red beans
1 part hulled millet
1 part lentils
1 part brown rice
1 part chopped walnuts

Cook the beans, millet, lentils, and rice and mix together with walnuts. Add any other additions you think of such as hardboiled egg, carrots, leafy greens etc. Freeze in birdie sized portions.

Both Kiwi and Coco love this.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Yum! Ash I think it must be lovely being a bird in your house!
Little Buttercup

Hope those are all new recipes to you! I can't remember where I got them in the first place, so hoping you never saw those before. Will try and post in some more.

I love cooking for my birds more than I do for my family :lol:

Ash
Little Buttercup

Here is one that I didn't try out yet:

Quick'n Easy Birdy Bread

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup corn meal
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sugar or honey
2 eggs
3 tbs vegetable oil or palm oil (for African species)
1c milk or buttermilk

Mix the above ingredients and add any of the following: cooked sweet potatoes, squash shredded or chopped, grated carrot, pulverized egg shells, blueberries, peanut butter, walnuts, or anything that your bird likes. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes in a 13x9 pan.
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

OK, this is a late entry too, not super creative but the birds LOVED it. Both of them. They never both like the same thing. I had tried to get them to eat eggs before but Fats was NOT interested... this changed everything.

Yummy Eggs:
Coconut oil
1 egg
diced red pepper
flax seed

scramble the egg in coconut oil adding in the other stuff. done.

Seriously, the two of them ate the WHOLE EGG.
I was also thinking about adding other veggies.

BTW, my bf is an autocross enthusiast. He races his sports car on little tracks that are set up in parking lots. I rode with him once. once.
and BTW, NOTHING is more fun than a Ferrari. I drove one in Las Vegas on a track and it was exhilarating.
Little Buttercup

And here is one late recipe I have been given, but did not make it as yet:

Pamela Clark's Layered Salad

Using this method, I can feed fresh foods to over 40 birds on a daily basis, while only chopping fruits and vegetables once a week. I'll try to explain this in a step by step manner for clarity.

Once a week, I layer in plastic storage containers (I use seven 2-gallon containers since I'm feeding so many birds) the following:

Layer 1 (bottom layer) - chopped greens, which are varied each week. One week, I'll use collard greens and parsley and mustard greens, and the next I might use Swiss chard, kale and dandelion greens.

Layer 2 - chopped (¼ to ½ inch cubes) green vegetables, including any of the following: Brussels sprouts, zucchini and other summer squash, jicama, red or green peppers, fresh hot peppers, chayote squash, green beans, fresh peas, cucumber, celery, anise root, etc.

Layer 3 - chopped broccoli and shredded carrots

Layer 4 - dry, uncooked pasta. This will absorb some of the moisture from the mix and soften nicely.

Layer 5 - cooked beans. I usually buy one of the 13 or 17 bean soup mixes, which I soak overnight, rinse, and then bring to a boil and cook for about 25 minutes, then drain.

Layer 6 - a mixture of chopped apples, oranges and whole grapes
Layer 7 - frozen mixed vegetables.

The containers are then placed in the refrigerator (don't freeze).

Issues of freshness: this mix stays fresh in these tubs for up to seven days for three reasons. First, layered salads stay fresher longer. Second, the orange juice filters down and slightly acidifies that mix. The frozen mixed vegetables placed on top super cool the mix immediately (cold air sinks/warm air rises). I do also wash all the fruits, vegetables and greens with Oxyfresh Cleansing Gele, which not only gets them clean but has some anti-bacterial action.

Use: each morning, I empty out one container into a large mixing bowl. At that point, I usually add other foods that might not either hold up, or stay fresh in the layered mix, such as: soft fruits (blueberries, peaches, plums, kiwi fruits, melon, etc), sprouts, or cooked grains (amaranth, quinoa, brown rice, barley, etc). Sometimes, in order to generate a little excitement, I'll sneak in a package of pine nuts or walnut pieces. Usually, I feed nuts separately, but I like to use this mix to surprise the parrots as well.

Once everything is completely mixed together, I put into another large bowl - eight scoops of this fruit and veggie mix, one scoop of a very clean, high quality seed mix and one scoop of pellets (either Foundation Formula or Harrison's High Potency). This is then mixed together and fed to the birds.

This recipe can be adapted for any number of birds with a little creativity, by reducing either the number or size of the containers used or both. For just one bird, you can create two small containers. One container will keep for about three days, even after being opened and mixed up.

Advantages:

1. There's no need to chop fresh foods every day.

2. Parrots are very visual creatures. If you stick a bird feeder outside, it will take the wild birds at least two weeks to start to feed from it. When fruits and vegetables are fed singly, or in large pieces, or in small combinations, and you add something new, it is likely to be rejected solely on the basis of the fact that it is visually unfamiliar. When you feed a mix like this, you can put anything into it and it will be accepted because the appearance of the mix hasn't changed overall.

3. This mix is exciting for the birds, and allows them a foraging experience. They never know what they're going to find in their food dishes and show considerable interest when I feed them. A huge amount of variety can be achieved. Greens and the types of vegetables used vary from week to week. The pasta shapes are varied (alphabet, whole wheat, elbow, etc.). You can use other types of citrus instead of oranges, including grapefruit, lemons, tangerines, etc. Instead of grapes, you can substitute fresh blueberries and pitted ripe cherries, or fresh cranberries. Instead of the 17-bean mix, you can use a soak and cook mix. Instead of grated carrots, you can use cooked and chopped sweet potato or winter squash. The possible variety is endless. I also vary the type of seed I use. I buy the Volkman's brand, since it is so clean, but will use Hookbill Super one day, and Parrot Super the next, or sometimes canary seed, or a combination of seeds from the health food store (sesame, pumpkin, etc).

4. Parrots that won't eat pellets, often will when they are combined into this mix as directed above because (1) they are part of an exciting mix, and (2) they will be slightly softened by absorbing some of the moisture from the mix.

5. I leave this in the cages from 7:00 am until 4:00 pm, which you can't do with mixes that have been frozen or cooked. Since the majority of the foods are neither cooked nor frozen, they stay fresher longer. Bacterial growth is increased by temperature, moisture, and the breakdown of cell walls.

This mix tends to be relatively dry, because the pasta and pellets absorb the vast majority of the moisture. Further the cell walls in the fruits and vegetables are largely intact because they have not been broken down by either freezing or cooking. In hot weather, it tends to desiccate rather than spoil.
Little Buttercup

Lastly Kiwi would like Nila to share some of his favourite recipes.

Ash
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Sooooo...ummmmm....have you cooked anything :mrgreen:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Ummm no.... not yet! I won't be doing anything this weekend as I'm booked up.
Next week!
Since we have so many I'm going to pick one from each person! Otherwise Nila will probably explode in the taste test!