A Step Closer :)

Moderator: Mods

Doodlebug

A Step Closer :)

Post by Doodlebug »

So today Doodlebug let me touch his back! :D I am SO SOOOO happy I can't tell you guys :)

He has been coming to my lap, and today while he was trying to chew my iPhone case, I thought I'd try my luck (or push my luck in his eyes lol) While he was chewing away I kept holding my hand above and behind him, he did keep turning around but he didn't lunge or anything so I kept trying, he kept still so I got closer and closer...and I touched him! It wasn't for very long and he would move out of my way but I did this twice and feel its another breakthrough even though I still can't get him to step up and he still bites whether its my fingers or arm or any skin lol.

I feel ridiculously happy right now and wanted to share it with you :)

Loo :D
Loo :)
Skyes_crew

Re: A Step Closer :)

Post by Skyes_crew »

Oh Loo, that's awesome. If he's in your lap playing happily with your cell phone case, that's a perfect opportunity to try to get him to step up. Use the cell phone as the lure. It's worth a shot :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Ahh nice idea, thanks! I will certainly do that, maybe I can also use the case to try and hide my finger underneath, and if he feels something pressing at his belly he'll automatically step onto it... Imagine his surprise when I reveal whats just happened :lol: I will try this and let you know what happened.

Floating on air right now, and I know you guys understand my happiness, other people would think 'oh there goes the crazy bird lady again' haha! :)
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Hey...I reinvented the term crazy bird lady :lol: nobody understands more than me

I wouldn't hide your hand or trick him though. It may cause trust issues. Just be straight forward and always let him make the choice. Just ball your hand into a fist, place the cell phone case behind your fist and ask for the step up. :D

Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Ahh gotcha, I see what you mean, thanks for the tip there. Crazy bird lady! :lol:
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

That's me :lol:

Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

I wonder what your opinions on this are? Is it something to be tried do you think?

http://trainedparrot.com/?bid=45
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

There are two sites I don't recommend when starting out training a bird for the first time. That is one of them. Don't get me wrong...that guy is awesome with birds. But he fails to tell people all the time that he's been working with those "model" birds for years. For once I'd like to see him have a new bird with issues handed to him live on camera. He uses a lot of negative reinforcement, which is not my cup of tea. I don't bad mouth others training techniques. I just don't use them myself :D

AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

CONGRATULATIONS LOO :D :D ! Good job and you definitely earned it, crazy bird lady. I guess baby steps are all what it is about. :)
"Live with parrots and you learn to panic"

AlphaWolf
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Skyes_crew wrote:There are two sites I don't recommend when starting out training a bird for the first time. That is one of them.
Ahh right, whats the other? I'll be sure to avoid it!

I did wonder as essentially its forcing yourself on the bird, I mean we wouldn't want our noses messed with if we didn't even want to be touched in the first place!

And thank you Alpha, it sure has taken many months to get to this stage but so worth it for the tiniest touch of his wings :)

How are you getting on with Aero?
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

The other is birdtricks.com

That site is a bunch of fluff. You CAN NOT teach a bird to talk in two days lol.

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hahaha birdtricks cracks me up. It's like an infomercial. But wait there's more... advertising.
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

So what sites do you guys recommend?

I have been working weird hours today but got doodlebug out of his cage between jobs, I tried putting my hand round the back if him slowly again but he was having none of it today, hasn't even wanted to come to my lap. It's so annoying that work eats into my bird time :x
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hah bird tricks, the most ridiculous website ever. Makes me laugh thinking about it.

AlphaWolf
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I like www.goodbirdinc.com - she has lots of training experience and has formal training too. She contracts to zoos as well as doing sessions all around the world to help companion parrot owners. I like her introductory training DVDs, although if you already have a good understanding of force-free/positive reinforcement training, you may not get a lot of from them.

Ellie.
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

I second what ellie said, goodbirdinc is probably the best website so far. Unlike many others she uses positive reinforcement. I think I will buy her bird body language DVD. The work she does is amazing, reading about Siroco's problems will give you many tips for training your bird. Oh and avoid the famous "Nathalia Roberts", apparently the "12 years of experience woman" is a scam. There is no Nathalia Roberts, just a male scammer from India. Just a word of warning for my fellow peeps.

AlphaWolf
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hi Loo, about Aero. Well, I think we progressed a little bit. We went back a few steps back though. For the last couple of days every
time I approached a 1.5 metres radios of the cage Aero would starting flying from perch to cage wall and start flapping all over the cage. And I can tell you it was very disappointing. So today I decided to spend the full day near his cage and lie down on the bed on my laptop. Well I believe that he calmed down a little. I gave him an apple he ate it whilst seeing only side of my face and he stretched and started eating. This was sitting 3m from the cage. So I sat down near him now and started singing to him and reading to him from 1m distance and facing him and he seemed quite relaxed. However this was me below his eye level. I'am wondering shall I sit in his eye level or does it matter that he is higher than me. Because when I stand up he turns around and backs off. What do you think I should do now loo? Shall I carry on what I did today. It just a bit sad that whenever I change his food bowl he starts kinda like panicking.

Sorry for the long post loo and taking space in your joyful thread.

Your friend, Alpha

AlphaWolf
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Loo, like Ellie said, all you need is a basic understanding of positive reinforcement training. Which i think you have for the most part. And maybe as alpha suggested understanding your birds body language. You don't need those training sites. Those sites were developed for one purpose, to make money off of people like you. Stay off of YouTube, lol, I know that's a hard one :D set your goals for yourself. Write them down and give yourself reasonable amounts of time to achieve them. Make a game plan and stick to it. Repetition is key to doodle understanding what you're asking of him. I know work makes it hard to stick to a set schedule, but remember that birds have no ultimate concept of time. Just make the effort every day to work with him, if even for only 15 minutes. And try to always end each session on a good note, no frustration or your efforts are wasted. You can do this loo. We have faith in you :D

AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hi Skye, nice post. A couple of years ago I used to visit such websites when I just started learning about parrot care. I was a needle away from buying the bird tricks.com scam, when I read a forum post about their dangers. From that day on I have learned everyrthing from forums such as this one. Now looking back you can see how ridoculas their presumptions are: gurrnateeing your parrot to talk in 2 days, that was real cracker. I mean seriously, 2 days? How is this possible? I think loo that you are in a right track and I'am positive that after a couple of years you will laugh back at this when you are cuddling with doodlebug and chatting together :wink:

AlphaWolf
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Loo, off the top of my head Behavior works, karen Pryor, Pamela Clark. Good bird inc has a good YouTube channel too.
I've been meaning to compile my favorite links into one thread.
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Thanks everyone for your recommended websites and advice :)

Skyes_crew, thankyou for what you suggest about the goals, I hadn't thought about it like that but it makes a lot of sense. I tried with Doodlebug again today but unfortunately he was extremely narky today and was attacking everything close, even his toys, and having had a nightmare day I wasn't really in the mood for his, err, mood! He was only out for 15 minutes and I felt bad putting him back but i don't think either of us was ready for that particular kind of 'bonding!' I cleaned out his cage and made new foraging stuff for him to get on with. Tomorrow is another day!
AlphaWolf wrote:Hi Loo, about Aero. Well, I think we progressed a little bit. We went back a few steps back though. For the last couple of days every
time I approached a 1.5 metres radios of the cage Aero would starting flying from perch to cage wall and start flapping all over the cage. And I can tell you it was very disappointing. So today I decided to spend the full day near his cage and lie down on the bed on my laptop. Well I believe that he calmed down a little. I gave him an apple he ate it whilst seeing only side of my face and he stretched and started eating. This was sitting 3m from the cage. So I sat down near him now and started singing to him and reading to him from 1m distance and facing him and he seemed quite relaxed. However this was me below his eye level. I'am wondering shall I sit in his eye level or does it matter that he is higher than me. Because when I stand up he turns around and backs off. What do you think I should do now loo? Shall I carry on what I did today. It just a bit sad that whenever I change his food bowl he starts kinda like panicking.

Sorry for the long post loo and taking space in your joyful thread.

Your friend, Alpha
Hi Alpha, sounds like you're doing great and have made good progress! I think it wouldn't hurt to try sitting eye level to him, but at the same distance you were before. Just make sure you approach slowly, maybe acting like you don't even notice him. I'm not kidding when I tell you I used to have to approach backwards! Its all about making them comfortable with your prescence to start with, then your proximity, and the eye contact thing. Doodlebug was a scaredy-bird too when I changed his food etc, I used to do it slower than a Sloth on crack (!) and sing very quietly, the same song everytime I did it, so he would associate it with what I was doing and hopefully that last time I didn't touch or hurt him and neither will I next time etc. If that makes sense?

Are you leaving treats in the bars and then sitting down still? And how long are you spending with him per day?

Its slow progress with these birds but every little step is another milestone towards what we are aiming for, and as everyone says, we have years with them, so theres no rush... :)
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hello Loo,
Thank you for your post. I found out that at the earlier stages every word of encouragement is priceless. Things are progress with Aero. Hr has considerably calmed down and I can approach closer without him moving or flying away. I'am giving him lots of treats such a apples, kiwi and peaches and he loves it. I'am spending almost all my day with him, eating, napping and using the laptop. He still makes a fuss when I change my water bowl, but I'am using your tevhniques to sing to him and walk slowly. He now started eating whilst I'am in the same room. Actually he eats whilst half my face is showing, so I'am soo happy. You are right Loo, every little step is a milestone. I'am noticing that Aero is getting more curios. craning he neck when I'am eating and cocking his head at me :D . Man how I fell in love with little feather-ball. He looks absolutely cute at night when he is about to sleep.

How are you Loo, how is your progress with Doodlebug. Plz keep us updated, I <3 hearing about Doodlebug.

P.S. :oops: I know this is quite embrassingly crazy but here goes:

My name is Aero,Aero
I'am a feathery pharaoh, pharaoh
Desenced form a long line of ancient kings
All os us wearing the ruby rings
Ruling the roost with beak and claw
Biting the humans, seeing the roar!

What do u guys think? :oops:

AlphaWolf
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Don't be embarrassed alpha...I make up songs and poems about my birds with my kids all the time. I like to make them laugh :D