Introduction

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

AJPeter

Introduction

Post by AJPeter »

Hi, my name is AJPeter and l found an Indian Ringneck. I do not know how old it is but it green with reddish flashes on hte wings. The beak is in good condition and there are no marking on the neck it would appear the owner pushed it out of the window of an upstairs flat because it attacked his canaries. I picked it up and put on a chair in my darkened upstairs flat. Alan gave me a large old dome top cage 24X28X58" I used to work in a pet shop so l know a little about birds. This Ringneck does not have a leg ring. It was called Bella but l changed the name to Billie after Billie Haliday who admire greatly. Billie sings so beautifully. I have had heer for about two months and she allows me to scratch her neck and hand feed her. She loves the foot toys l make for her to unravel. I am 74 and single. Billie has a tail that measures 13 inches and l would like to know what sort of cage to buy her. I am thinking of open top cage 63cmX53cmX152cm
AJPeter

Flat share with parrot? More like share her aviary!
Last edited by AJPeter on Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skyes_crew

Re: Introduction

Post by Skyes_crew »

Hi AJ and welcome. Sounds like what you actually have is an alexandrine hen. Cousin to the indian ringneck. Congrats to you for working so well with your newfound friend. :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

pattiB

Post by pattiB »

Hi AJ,
I'm fairly new here. But want to say thank you for taking your new friend in. Bless you!
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Welcome AJ and Billie :)

I'm sure you will discover many new tips here on how to take care of your new bird, everyone here is lovely. You're doing great :)

Loo :)
Loo :)
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Best wishes AJ. Have you tried tracking down Billie's previous owner? You can try www.parrotalert.com etc.

Ellie.
Dixie-1

Post by Dixie-1 »

Welcome AJ it sounds like Billie was lucky to find you. :D
Just takin a break !

AJPeter

Thank you

Post by AJPeter »

Thank you Skyes-crew, PattiB,Doodlebug,Elieelectrons,Dixie-1 for your well wishes, I think Skyes-crew is right my little friend is a hen Alexandrine ring neck, and quite young. She works harder than I at our new freindship telling me when to start cooking our meal and if she wants me to make her a toy to play with, and when to scratch her neck. She wont let me pick her up nor will she come on my hand but she flies to my chair and sits on my head. We have made good progress in the last 2 months, l shall buy her a new cage tomorrow. My neighbour threw her out and she was on the grass in front of his flat. He said l could keep her and gave me a battered dome top cage. I live in Birmingham England.

AJpeter
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

I like birdies named after jazz legends :) I think we now have a Billie Holiday, a Charlie Parker, and a Fats Waller.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

You are one of the good ones AJ Peter...take good care of Billie. :)
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Welcome.

Great name! Our irn loves crooning along to Billie holiday cds.

All the best with your new friend.

Regards,
Claire
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

Welcome, you so lucky to have a nice friend now. Well done by taking her in and giving her a nice home.

Ash
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Welcome AJ to the forums. Congratulations on your alexandrine Billie. This forum will be a wonderful experience for you and your bird. I'am not that experienced but I'am sure many other will help if you need. Please post pictures as soon as possible. We need pictures! Aero and me give you a warm feathery welcome.
"Live with parrots and you learn to panic"

AlphaWolf