Rainbow Lorikeet

Moderator: Mods

sheyd

Rainbow Lorikeet

Post by sheyd »

Hi all-

I've never been too interested in other species, but this bird has me curious- to the point where I'm considering purchasing it (even tho I know how messy they are!!!).. I've never seen one this colour before- what mutations might it be carrying?

(brown looking bird at the front)
Johan S

Re: Rainbow Lorikeet

Post by Johan S »

I haven't been following rainbows since I stopped breeding them in 1999, and at that stage there wasn't any mutations in SA that I knew of. These birds are stunning! It looks like a grey mutation to me. You bet I'm going to go google them right now! :lol:
trabots

Post by trabots »

Grey Green, Khaki and looks like 4 Fallows
Redzone

Post by Redzone »

We're lucky enough to have a whole flock of them roosting in the palm tree out the front of our house at the moment. We have a bottle brush tree out there as well which they love to eat from. There is one lori in particular which is a total nutcase, he's a classic. Those birds have so much personality, you should totally get one!

The local avicultural society had a few mutation rainbow lori's at the last show, a couple of cinnamon & an albino I'm pretty sure.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Johan- the first time a few years ago, that I saw a dilute RL, I didn't recognize it as the same species- I was just so amazed that they came in a different colour :lol:

Thanks Willy, will have to look them up now. I like the colour- it's very different looking (I like different)

Redzone- we have the lories (and other natives) eat the fruit on the tree out the back- they screech- and our ringy's start screeching...
When I was a kid, there was a mango tree I walked past going home from school- every-time at around Christmas the lories would eat the fruit- once the fruit started to ferment, they would get into a drunk like state and roll around on the ground falling all over the place- almost enough to be able to catch one :lol:
trabots

Post by trabots »

I have uploaded a selection of mutant lorikeets that I used to own.

http://s1305.photobucket.com/user/Trabo ... t=3&page=1

[URL=http://s1305.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

trabots wrote:I have uploaded a selection of mutant lorikeets that I used to own.
http://s1305.photobucket.com/user/Trabo ... t=3&page=1
Very Nice!!!
zentoucan

Post by zentoucan »

saw birds like in a pet shop and they were called a scaly lorikeet.