Hello From The Middle Of Nowhere

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

AlphaWolf

Hello From The Middle Of Nowhere

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hello everyone and IRN lovers from all over the world,

I have dreamt to have an indian ringneck parakeets for as long as I can remember. I used to spend hours a day reading all of you guys Fids, from ellieelectron's Janey problems to the dreaded bluffing of young indies. And finally m dream has come true, 3 days ago. I have given up hope in buying a young IRN, so when I went to my local to buy myself a cockatiel, what a surprise to buy 8 month old green IRN. And this is how my story began. Since I knew this forum it is like heaven. However, I warn you that I have TONS of questions, literally. So I bought my first young IRN and need as much help to raise a wonderful bird. And that is why I have come this forum, to enlist your help and share my experience with like-minded bird enthusiast.

So my new bird is sooooo cute and lovely. I fell in love with him instantly. He just looks TOOO CUTE. And he is very acrobatic and sly. :mrgreen: He will remain like a minature green statue in front of me. But the moment I disappear(UNDER MY DUVET WITH ONE PEEPING) he would start climbing all around the place. He LOVES climbing the roof of his cage and hang upside down. Maybe they gave me a hanging parrot instead :D . So anyways he didn't eat for the first night nor drink so I was a bit freaked out tbh. The Bird-Incuded Syndrome has started! In the morning( I bought at night) he still didnt eat and drink so I nearly passed out. I really wanted to ask in the forum but my wi-fi decided that today it would take holiday :( . However later that day I saw some food on the cage floor, i.e. he ate at last. 3 days later he eats but never near me, but I guess this is natural as he is still settling in. Today I left him some apple strips near his perch and left the room. When I came back( BTW he is 1m near my bed :) ) the apple was on the floor. So I gave another and left again. When I came back I was just about to enter when I heard this cute little munching crunching sounds. OMG it sounded so cute. I quicly peeped and there he was eating his apple. Oh and he LEFT-HANDED!!! I wonder what hand do your parrots use???

However this little bundle of joy is soooo scared from hands. Cant wait to start training with him, and get him tamed. Is 8 months considered young? And is 8 months a good age tp start training. Cant wait for your replies.
"Live with parrots and you learn to panic"

AlphaWolf
MissK

Re: Hello From The Middle Of Nowhere

Post by MissK »

Welcome and congratulations!

Give him a few more days to settle. Never do anything to scare him. Keep the treats coming.
-MissK
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Thx for the quick reply. From my lurking I know that you are quite an amazing IRN owner. Gr8 pleasure to know you. As you said, I will take it easy and not push till he feels ready. I want to teach that my hand is a treat hand and should be "revered". :) I will go with baby steps so as not to ruin things for the future. Thanks for the advice.

AlphaWolf
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Alphawolf

Welcome.

Sounds like you've been doing your research. Good on you for that! Enjoy this time with your ringneck.

Eight months isn't too early to start training, but as MissK said, give him some time to settle in first. I think you'll be able to judge when he has settled down a bit.

Best wishes.

Ellie.
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Thank you for your warm welcome. Yes, I will let him settle in before starting training. He still doesnt eat in my presence and only plays once or twice with me. However, I learned that patience is the best approach. I started reading to him The Hunger Games and singing to him songs, now can I can touch the cage with my face if i go slowly, but any fast moment and he flies away. Oh and he doesnt tolerate hands in his cage. I gave him some apple yesterday and he dropeed it in the grill, I worried myself that it might get moldy and he might eat. So I opened the cage to take it and he nearly freaked out/ :( I guess it's too early for any formal training. Big Thanks to you ellieelectrons!!! :D :D :D

AlphaWolf
Our baby

Post by Our baby »

Hello an welcome i find this forum very helpful it has everything you need to know there are many interesting story here to read it is great
My baby
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Alphawolf

Sounds like you're going pretty well. Keep trying to see if your bird will come to you and take food from your hands. I would start by offering it through the bars at the opposite end to where he is sitting, so that he has to come to you. If he doesn't come, just leave it in his cage for him, but make sure he knows you left it. Do this as often as you can in a day. Good on you with the reading, singing, etc. You are doing well.

If you have to put your hands in the cage, just make sure you do it really slowly and for now, keep your hands as far away from your bird as possible. I would also reward him with a nice food treat before and after to help make this a more desirable event.

Ellie.
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Thank you ellie for the tips,
Whenever I put my hand inside the cage, or replcae the food and water bowls. I talk softly and comfort them. I do not make eye contact as they are prey animals and move slowly with any rapid movements. I had him for 3 days now( today is the 4th) and I can approach his cage and put my face near the cage without him flying. I notice something, he's plumage is a bit drab. In his nape I can see some greyness and in his stomack. I think he is moulting, but I cant see any pin feathers. I dont think he is bored because he is playing with his toys, when I'am not there. In 3 days a the bark of a piece of wooden toy has been peeled and chewed really well. He loves climbing around the bars and hanging upside down from the roof :D . I hope he is not feather plucking! We bought some budgies the same day we bought him and one of them is moulting, we saw some pin feathers in his head. So, is he moulting or is he plucking.

P.S. I didn't hear him make any sound except one with back against him. Hearing squawk yesterday was like music to my ears. However he doesn't make a sound near me nor eat near me. I guess that this normal settling in behaviour???

Thank you all for your help and support!!!

AlphaWolf
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hey there,

I've been wondering if there are many regular lurkers on here. I admit I lurk in the mutations area a bit, but never have anything to contribute to it.

I'm sure your wee one will settle in fine! This feathers should improve with a good diet.

Nila is ambidextrous, but evenly unco with both feet. He's a bit special though.

Does your birdy have a name yet?

Regards,
Claire
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

In the first year they can moult at weird times and look quite ratty... so I wouldn't worry too much unless you're seeing big bald patches. He also may not have had an optimal diet before he came to you so his feathers may not be as vibrant as they might otherwise be. I'm sure you'll see to a good diet. It seems you're extremely well-read on what to do for your bird, so I won't offer anything I know appears elsewhere on the forum, but if you have any specific questions, please don't be afraid to ask.

Young birds can be very quiet when they change homes. Just enjoy it while it lasts!

If you've got a electronic device (eg. iPad/iPhone/laptop/portable video player) that can be held up to your bird's cage, you might like to play him some youtube videos of other IRNs. My guys go nuts for this! If you can find any that have people interacting positively with their bird, that could be good too, so that he can see that people aren't the enemy. Better yet, do you have any videos of you interacting positively with an IRN or other bird? If so, you could show them to your bird. Like any new object, introduce it slowly just in case your bird is scared of it. Turn the sound up too, the like the sound of other birds. I quite like the Bowie videos on youtube... or you could show them some Janey Charlie videos :)

Ellie.
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hello ellie,
Thanks for your advice. It's a big sigh of relief that it is not feather plucking. About the diet thing, I'am currently feeding him a mixture of seed mix and pellets. But the little rascal is leaving the pellets and eating the seeds. I think I will alternate between the mix and pellets by week. And of course fresh fruit and veggies daily. As he loves toys I will soon introduce him to foraging toys. I read your thread and it is very interesting. BTW, I LOVE BOWIEE!!! I watch all his videos and even my brother( who likes only sun conure) loves him. Good idea about the iPad thing. I will soon try it.

Hello InTheAir, abot the name I'am taking some time to choose. My top 3 names are: 1) Aero, because he is really aerobatic and remiinds me the inside of aero chocolate :D 2) Jade: I just love that name. 3) Rascal: Well what can I say, he is a little Rascal. :)

Which one do you guys like best.

AlphaWolf
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Welcome Alphawolf, and to your new addition. Great names by the way, and best of luck in your taming process, all the guys here are great at answering any questions or concerns you might have.

Loo :)
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Jade the aero-rascal! That should give him something to live up to.

Nila Sa is known as his royal birdiness mr snuggles... and 'oi don't eat that you little monster'
I don't know if I am qualified to to name birds, the baby I have reserved spent a couple weeks being called squidgy....cos it felt gross when I held it the first time!
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Oh and Nilas other name from my boyfriend is The Beakinator...
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

:lol: The Beakinator!! :lol:
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

:lol: :lol: :lol: The Beakinator!!! You guys really made me laugh. @InTheAir plz give my curtsy his Royal Birdiness Snuggles. Lovely suggestions. Cleaned some apple, without the skin due to fear of pesticides, and ate my half in front of him. He stared at me whilst making the...Mmm Mmm noises. I gave him some and left the room. Came back and saw that he has eaten it. :). It's a bit of shame that I he doesn't eat in front of me. I love seeing them eat with that one foot of theirs. How do you know if your parrot is left handed or right handed. I saw eat with his left hand but sleep balancing on his right??? Sorry for the questions but this forum is soooo awesome with everyone helping each other. Cant wait to gain enough experience to help others.

AlphaWolf
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Hi again, I'm not sure if this will help as every bird and situation is different, but I also struggled to get my IRN to take food from me. He wouldn't even take it if I left it between the bars and was in the same room! I made sure I ate in front of him, took naps in front of him. As they do this together in their flocks so eventually we want them to see us as part of their flock. When he got more comfortable with me in the room and sitting by his cage, I left food in between his bars and sat down on the floor in front of his cage so he was higher than me, but with my back to him pretending not to take any notice of him. It took two days of this before he would venture towards the food, grab it and run to the farthest point in the cage!

I then started slowly leaving food but turning more towards him so eventually I was facing him. I then sat next to the cage. I started slowly getting closer, putting my hand on the side of the cage while he was eating. I continued leaving food in the bars but putting my hand closer to it each time. And one day I got to TOUCH the food at the same time he was eating it! I started to hold it in the bars. Then voila! He would see the food I was bringing then start snatching it and running away lol.

I have no doubt you will get there, patience and consistency is key. You can do it-good luck!

Dixie-1

Post by Dixie-1 »

Hi and welcome Alphawolf sounds like you have done your homework and are making good progress. :D
Just takin a break !

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

His birdiness is pleased by your display of deference, I'm sure.

Nila sleeps and holds things with either foot. When he playing with little toys or paper wrapped treats he tends to swap feet the whole time. He isn't very coordinated though.
Nila would be in the math or debating club at school not the athletics team.
While I have been writing this he's been playing with some foot toys, after he dropped one for the 5th time he grabbed the piece of string hanging from his perch, squawked at me, looked at the toy on the ground, looked at the string again. I've tied them to the string so he can reel them in from the comfort of his perch and he is happy again.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Alfawolf

I really like Loo's ideas that were used to work with Doodlebug... sounds like a good one to me!

Ellie.
Ringneckpatrick

Post by Ringneckpatrick »

From one noob to another, welcome. :D
" The Gentle Way Sensei "
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Helle everyone, thanks for the warm welcome and kind words.

@Loo, your idea is wonderful. Can't wait to try it out today. Btw about the napping, my cage is 1.5 metres away from my bed :). However only one problem, the cage is under the AC but the wind is directed above it. Can we switch on the AC at night or do we have to also cover the cage. I loved reading your thread about taming doodlebug, which color is doodlebug and can you post a picture pleeease.

@InTheAir, Thank you. This little bugger is so clever, everytime he sees me watching him he starts jumping from bar to another and running really quickly as if saying: "huh, can you do that homan". XD.

AlphaWolf
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Ugh, I ran out of apples again. Let's see if he likes kiwi? Oh and kiwi is safe as I have read conflicting articles about it.

AlphaWolf
MissK

Post by MissK »

Clean peanut butter.
-MissK
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Thx MissK. So how is doodlebug, is there an update. Oh and Aero sent a message too doodlebug, WHY AM I SO ITCHY AND WHY IS THIS MONSTER BOTHERING ME. I kinda like his apples though". I love reading your progress. Unfortunatley the petstore clipped his wings :(
Cant wait for him to fly and harness train him. MissK plz post some pics of doodlebug.

AlphaWolf
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Hi Alphawolf, Doodlebug is great thank you, I have just started trying him with the turnaround trick today in the hope it will create a better bond with me and to help with the biting thing he is doing at the moment.

It's great he sees you napping, not sure about the AC unit being underneath the cage-we don't really use them over here in the UK much unless theres a heatwave and that doesn't happen very often! Is it noisy? IRNs do love to get a certain amount of sleep and peace and quiet at night and I know from experience after staying up all night watching the TV once that they get rather touchy when they don't get enough shuteye!

Doodlebug is green, only 5 months old now. I need to take more pictures but can't really get as close as I would like for fear of the bite lol.

MissK

Post by MissK »

It is essential that the air conditioner does NOT blow cold air on the bird. A draft, most especially a cold one from the AC, is harmful to birds. If the room is small, as many bedrooms are, you may have trouble finding a spot without cold air current. If this is the case, you should cover a *portion* of the cage to block the draft. I would use a light blanket or a large towel, perhaps more than one towel sewn together for size.
-MissK
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Helle Doodlebug, Doodlebug is soooo beautiful. His plumage is vibrant, so much better than mine. A real proof of your good care!!! Keep up the good work mate. About the AC, the reason why asked and didn't switch the AC on for all these days was because of fear of draught. But even if the is under the AC, the wind current passes way over it. I put my hands and didn't feel any air or wind.

Hi MissK. Actually my bedroom is quite big as me and my brother have joined rooms. We share one big bedroom and before I even bought my bird I identified the spots where no wind can pass. I have a book about pet birds and I have read it like minimum 30 times these past couple of years. So placement of the cage for me was a major cause for concern. The first night I got him I switched on the AC, but my dad told me that it was not good for my birds and might get them sick.

Oh and my parrot started sneezing like 2 times in one day, so I did some research and bought a humidifier and now the sneezing stopped. Man I love GOOGLE. He is like my new BFF. Ok I had no fresh fruit and veggies today so unfortunately no treats. But I'am now in full stock of all different kinds of fruits and greens. Thanks to you all for your help and support.

AlphaWolf
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hello,
I'am now sure that he is moulting. I can see 4 weird thin lines coming of of his wing. Doesn't look like a pin feather though. Who's bird here is going through a moult? And a another thing, sometimes I notice that his tail is slightly shaking and vibrating, and when he is scared his wings sometimes shakes. Is this normal behaviour, his droppings are good and has her nares are clear with no discolouration. Bird-Induce Syndrome, i don't want anything to happen to my baby.

AlphaWolf
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Alphawolf

I looked after Claire in the Air's bird last weekend and I noticed he got a bit shaky sometimes too. I'm not sure if it was fear or excitement. When Claire picked him up I asked her about it and she said sometimes he just gets like that.

One thing I do for my birds is give them a wellness check every year with an avian vet. When birds get sick, they will mask the symptoms as long as they can. They do it so well that when they finally do start showing symptoms it can be too late. I suggest you see if you can find a good avian vet (not just a normal vet) in your local area and then find out how much the first wellness check will cost and then save up for it. Ours is quite expensive due to the number of tests they run. However, it does give you peace of mind. Our vet also takes his time to discuss any concerns you have and also gives you other pointers for looking after your bird. If it wasn't for our vet I wouldn't have realised how important foraging is to birds.

Best wishes.

Ellie.
MissK

Post by MissK »

My bird used to shake when I first brought him home. I spoke with other bird keepers, breeders, and the vet. They suggested that while he could be sick or chilled, he also could be frightened. He was frightened, and as he got more accustomed to me, he stopped shaking, for the most part. Sometimes I surprise him by coming into the room unexpectedly or by waking him from sleep, and I notice he will shake just a tiny bit some of those times. You almost would not see it, it is so faint.

I'm delighted that you came here, Alphawolf, and I'm sure you have learned more from your reading than you may realize right now. As you live with your bird, I know you'll come to a time when you just realize that you know what is right to do. And I think when you read some posts here, you will already know the answers to some problems others might face. You will be helping others in no time!

If you are looking for more reading, you can just let the forum know what you read already, and ask for suggestions. I know there would be many. Give your bird a little treat for me, and be sure to buy him some dark green leaves to eat. My birds like kale the best. : )

Edit: I just remembered you said you bought Budgies the same day. Maybe you have read about my experience with the Budgies and the Ringneck, or maybe not. Basically, after 6 or 7 months (I forgot how many) with my bird he was still afraid of the hand. He was gaining confidence and testing my finger, but I was not willing to survive the painful testing. I bought a young Budgie, placed it in a cage next to Rocky's cage, and trained it to step to my finger. After a month of watching the Budgie interact safely with me, my IRN, Rocky, just stepped onto my wrist all on his own one day while I was reaching for something inside his cage. I understood the concept of birds learning by watching other birds, but I was still unprepared for this magical development. I think that since Budgies are so much more easily tamed, you should let your Ringneck watch the Budgies learning. It might well help a lot.
-MissK
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hello MissK, Your post was so sweet it kept me smiling all the way! Thx :D The budgies are not mine but my sisters, and they are so much easier to train. My sister is already trying to them the step-up. Makes me green with envy :mrgreen: . But I know that taming my IRN will be much more rewarding. That is a great idea about the budgies and I'am sure that i will apply it. One thing I had my bird for now around week. Is he settled in properly? He doesn't eat/drink or make a noise in front of me. He does eat his apple treats but only when I leave my room. What is the best approach to make have enough confidence to start eating in front of me? I know that is question probably has been asked a MILLION times but sorry.

Hi ellie, about the vet; I'am already looking for a good avian vet in my area. I found a clinic and I'am in the process of asking about the avian services. I'am also saving money for a checkup and a DNA est. Thank you ellie and take care.

AlphaWolf
MissK

Post by MissK »

Do you spend a lot of time in your room or only sleep there? I think it is most desirable that the bird be near where the family spends most of the time. Possibly he could spend time near the family until bed time and then go with you to the bedroom? You should have him where he can get the maximum exposure to gentle humans.

I would not advise you to do any more than try to help him relax until he will eat in front of you. The next step would likely be taking food you put in the bars, and then taking food from your hand, as you offer it a little way from him, him still in the cage. You should allow him to choose to approach you at this time. Do not do anything that could be called "chasing".
-MissK
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hello MissK,
I'am starting to spend all day in my bedroom. My bedroom is probably the safest place. This is because nearly all downstairs is connected together to make one BIG room and the kitchen is part of it. My Mom uses teflon which is extremely dangerous to birds. Also one wall is a glass window, a giant glass window so I'am scared he flies and collides with the glass. MissK, what do you think the way to make hime relax more? About chasing, that is a big no no no. I slowly approach the cage and never chase him or do anything that he will not like except changing the food and water. I would like to start baby steps and not rush or anything that can possibly ruin a bond.

P.S. I had two beautiful adult IRN. An albino called Snowball and a blur one calle Cocoza. Snowball use to take apple for owr hands but Cocoza was really scared of hands. Later on I knew why. When we let them go out of the cage to fly around a bit I discovered that half his wings was chopped off. :evil: :evil: :evil:

My new IRN is the first bird in my life that I will tame. So I want it to be the best taming process I can imagine, for both of us.

AlphaWolf
MissK

Post by MissK »

Just be there with him. Let him know you are not a threat.
-MissK
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Thx a billion MissK. Can you please post a picture of rocky???

AlphaWolf
MissK

Post by MissK »

Rocky is a standard, natural green male Ringneck.
:D
-MissK
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Thank you all of you guys for you extreme help and support. I cannot wish for better help. Sorry for pestering you guys with question. I think I will stay in this forum for a very very long time, helping everyone and updating about my FIDS. MissK, I love the green colour IRN, that is why I have a green :D

P.S. Ellie, what do you think about the AC, shall i switch on or not. If I shouldn't then I will sacrifice it for the health and welfare for my birds. What is the best technique to know if there is and air current flowing through???

AlphaWolf
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi AlphaWolf

I'm not 100% certain on Air Conditioning. I do try to avoid using it with my birds, however I do use it in moderation. We have our birds in a living area with lots of windows and sliding doors. Our doors and windows have screens on them. So in hot weather I leave windows and doors open for them. However, if we are going out and it's going to be REALLY hot, I leave the air conditioning on for them. If we're going to be out for a longish period of time I put it on timer so that it won't be on when the weather starts to cool down in the afternoon. I do this because when the house is all shut up it can get very hot and stuffy in here... and where I live there are really high summer temperatures. If I'm home and I can't stand the heat myself, I will put the air conditioning on occasionally but it's got to be pretty bad. Does your room have plenty of natural options for ventilation? Because you also need to be concerned about what it's like for your bird when you are away from home.

I don't know what is best though - it's probably a good idea to talk to your avian vet. Regardless, though, I don't think it's healthy if your birds are in the direct stream of the air conditioner. So I think that's pretty much what your dad said too right? I'm sure your dad is a wise man. :) Is your problem with heat or cold?

If you and your family do decide to move your bird to another room in the house, perhaps you could save up and buy some non-stick cookware for the family? Owning a bird isn't cheap is it? ;)

Ellie.
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Hi Alphawolf, Doodlebug is not looking as lovely and fluffy anymore, he is going through a moult just like yours. He's looking very scruffy indeed and yesterday every picture I took of him he looked greasy! He isn't, but in the photos his feathers they are dishevelled and not their best-he is obviously in the middle of an amazing transforming makeover!

He also shakes as your bird does. He has done thins ever since we got him but not as bad as he used to. He will shake first thing in the morning when I uncover him even though I talk to him first to let him know I'm coming. I guess its a fear and a confidence thing.

AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hello ellie,
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I cannot open my bedroom windows because outside is much hotter than inside. Normally we swich on the AC all day. My Dad also tells me that it is not good for our health to keep switiching on and off the AC because the sudden change of temperature can make you ill. Anyways, in about a couple of weeks the weather will improve and all the ACs will be switched off. The weather is really hot, maybe even hotter than Australia. "PHhew".

ELLIEELECTRONS U R TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!

AlphaWolf
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hello Doodlebug,
It's such a sigh of relief to know that my bird is not ill and that you have the same thing. My bird is moulting and I'am seeing down feathers everywhere. Also I see some grey stick-things coming out of the wing. They are very thin and I not a pin feathers. My bird's plumage is all raggy and dull. Can't wait for him to get his new coat. :wink: Found out today the Mr High Majesty does not like bananas. He took one bite and spat it out, I think( I found a banana with a bite and the rest also on the floor) XD. Unfortunately he still does not eat in front of me his own normal food and doesn't make a sound. I wonder what shall I do so as to make him have the confidence to eat in front of me.

AlphaWolf
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

I think maybe he knows you are watching him. Try having your back to him and pretending to read or something, they look at our eyes at the front of our heads as predator eyes. It took days of me doing this for Doodlebug to finally give in and eat what I'd left him.

He also hates banana, and anything 'mushy'. Although I did make some pea and ham soup the other day and he chugged it down like it was baby formula! He also dislikes dried fruit and pumpkin seeds. I guess we all have things we dislike, mine is liver and sprouts!!

AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Thanks a lot doodlebug. So for the next couple of days shall I just keep my back on him and give him treats. Ok one thing, Sometimes when I approach him he starting jumping from perch to perch to the floor and climbing the walls of his cage and flying back to his perch again. But also sometimes when I peep from under the mattress he does the same. Is this playing behaviour? Btw, love doodlebug. Give doodlebug a treat for me and say it is from Aero. :)

AlphaWolf
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Ahh, so you have decided on Aero for the name? Well done :)

The behaviour you describe could be playing, but it could again be the eyes if he does it while peeping at him from under your duvet? It might be sending him into a panic thinking you are about to strike.

I would definitely persevere leaving him treats in the bars while sitting with your back to him, it's a compromise as you are in the room and will be able to tell when he ears it, and it gets him used to being around you so he starts being comfortable eating with you in the room. Maybe eat with him too :)
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Doodlebug-OMG!!! I wish I can send you a big box of chocolate!!! I did what you said and left a piece of apple in his cage and turned my back on him. I then left the room and when I came back there he was eating an apple. I entered the room as quite as I can and was saying to myself: He will drop it right now, he will drop it right now! But he didn't he kept as if he was holding for dear life :D. He was standing on one foot when he decided to switch and hold the apple with his beak. Funny little fella then try to eat whilst holding to it at the same time LOL. He then fixed himself and picked it up and I sat down with my back upon him. Then he started making these little munching sounds and I could see from my laptop screen him eating it and the beak rubbing on my perch. This reallly made my day. Is the fact of him not dropping a sing that he is beginning to feel comfortable with presence. I put another apple slice and will see if he will come and take it whilst we are in the same room.

THANK YOU DOODLEBUG

P.S. Do you like the name. I'am 99% decided on Aero and 0.5% on Rascal and Jade. Which on do you like best???

P.P.S The biggest reason why I don't think it's fear is because sometimes I enter the room and catch him doing the same thing and when he notices me he acts like he was dong nothing, all straightening up. Kind of reminding me of catching a kid red-handed stealing!! :mrgreen:

AlphaWolf
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

That's cute.
To clarify what Ellie said about our bird, he has a couple types of shivers.
The example she used sounds like he was nervous. I have come to this conclusion because of other behaviours she told me about when I picked him up. He didn't fly around her house much: denotes nerves to me as he seldom flies when he is scared of the surroundings. He zooms around at home a lot, but won't in unfamiliar circumstances.
Also the way he was clinging to her shirt when I picked him up was showing signs of not being confident in his surroundings. He likes to climb around us, but clings to the collar area if he is nervous.
He just didn't seem completely comfortable... mothers instinct. He hasn't been away from us before since he was an itty bitty just weaned birdy. And he's not keen on changes.

The other times he shivers is when it is cold.

I'm sure aero-rascal will have a great time with you. I think it's a lucky birdy.
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hello, So using Doodlebug's technique I started observing some of Aero's behaviour that I never saw before. For example he goes to the top corners of his cage and he chews his cage and pushes himself into the corner biting and chewing at the same time. I'am getting worries in case he swallows the pain or gets his peak stuck. Is this a major cause of concern.

AlphaWolf
MissK

Post by MissK »

Is he kind of rubbing his beak up and down between the bars? My bird does that sometimes.
-MissK
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

MissK- No he is actually biting the cage bars and chewing them. He is also trying to push his beak and maybe even his head through the corner bars.

AlphaWolf