I am new

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Madhuri

I am new

Post by Madhuri »

Hello i am from Denmark.
I have fallen in love with the little indian ringneck, and am planing to get one in the spring. So right now i am just looking around and try and learn as much as possible about them before getting one.
This site looks really great as there is not many if any tame ringnecks in Denmark, and i cant find any that handfeed, so i will have to take up that task aswel. i am realy looking forward to it. And to learn as much as i can.

I am not a first time owner . I have a little Meyes parrot but had a Timneh Grey some years ago that i lost to illness. I miss her terrible, but the little Meyers is a cheerful little guy.
Greetings Madhuri :)
MissK

Re: I am new

Post by MissK »

Hi Madhuri, and welcome.

It's OK if you don't have a handfed baby. One that is fed by the parents will have a healthy start in life. I hope the breeders here will give their thoughts, but I would suggest you see if the breeder you choose will gently handle the baby even though they do not feed it. Or maybe you can visit and handle it as it is a baby. Post in the breeder section to get their opinion on this.

Either way, hand fed is not the same as hand tame, so there may be some work for you. Try to not get a bird that is clearly terrified of you. It's so much easier with one that will let you approach, even better if they will take food from your hand through the bars. There are a lot of people who are sad and frustrated because they have a bird that is not tame enough to suit them and they are discouraged by the amount of time and effort it takes to tame the bird.

May I also suggest you might be able to find a nice older bird from someone who doesn't want it any more. These birds might have a bad habit (screaming, biting, saying naughty words) but they may also be a little more tame. You might even find the perfect bird. And you could easily tell the sex. Do some reading here about some of the struggles people have with their female birds at breeding time.

My bird was the pet of someone who died. He had been neglected and was living in impoverished circumstances for years. He was no longer tame and was ten years old. But he was perfect for me, and I have never had a single regret. In fact, I feel very lucky to have found him. Another bonus of getting an adult bird is that you see what you get from day 1.

Best wishes!
-MissK
Madhuri

Post by Madhuri »

Thank you for your advise MissK. I will look at the breeder page.

However. Ringnecks are not normally kept here in denmark as tame birds. So it would be very diffecult to find an older bird already tame. They are mostly held as avairy birds. Also we do not have any of those shelters for birds here where you can buy a bird free, that have had another home. We mostly have dog shelters like that. The shelters for birds here, which are not many, does not sell the birds. They give them a forever home if they come to them.

But i will take your advise, I already have an appointment with a breeder, to come and see his facilities and birds., and i will have a talk to him about handling the chicks when time comes :)
Dixie-1

Post by Dixie-1 »

Hi and welcome Madhuri :D
Just takin a break !

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hi Madhuri,

I am getting a parent raised bird from a breeder soon. It has been handled gently since it hatched. I picked this one because it seems very calm when the breeder handles it.
I will keep a diary of how we go with making friends with it when it comes home.

Regards,
Claire
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Madhuri,

I expect things go differently in Denmark, but you can always look wherever it is that people sell things they don't want any more. This is how I found my bird. I bought him directly from the family of his previous owner. I don't mean to say you must get your bird that way, just that it might be an option and that it worked very well for me.
-MissK
Madhuri

Post by Madhuri »

Thank you all so much for the kind welcome

Intheair - i will look forward to your thead about your new bird. it will be interesting to follow. :)

Dixie--1 its a cute bird you have there :)

MissK i will look around regularly. Maybe one will show up. I am in no hurry as i want to learn as much possible first and find a bird that is good for me. :)
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Madhuri,
Researching before hand is a great idea. I did a bit, but no where near enough. I feel like I've been doing a crash course in parrot keeping for the 10 months since we got my boyfriends irn! We are really lucky Nila is a little angel.
I can't wait 'til my little one is ready to leave its parents! Only a couple weeks to go!
Madhuri

Post by Madhuri »

Well i think no matter how much one tries to learn ,there is always much more to be learned. But i think its important to at least do what one can. That way things might be a little better. But having said that, all birds , well living beings, are all individuals. It is impossible to know everything, because everything written is general. Personal experince is what does it in the end. And one learn from bird - bird learn from you :) thats what a good relationship should be but it takes time. :)
Last edited by Madhuri on Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

You're right, every interaction is a learning experience for us and the bird. Indian Ringnecks are great little birds.

What is the attitude to flighted pet birds in your country? I've heard a lot of European countries are very pro-flight for pet birds.
My boyfriend and I love having a flighted bird, we couldn't imagine chopping his wings up, but it is pretty common in pet birds here.
Madhuri

Post by Madhuri »

We treasure flighted birds here. Not many clip wings here.

And i agree. i think birds got wings to fly, and if we chose to have a bird it is our resposiblity to make sure that a flighted bird wont get hurt.

But i also know it is a delicate subject and there are many different oppinions. :)
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

That's great. I would love to see the day when anyone who wants a pet chooses it on its natural attributes, rather then trying to modify it against its nature.
We have so much fun watching Nila fly and do his fighter jet impressions around the house! Though we do wish we had a big basket ball court so he could really show us his stuff!
Madhuri

Post by Madhuri »

LOL yes you are right it is wonderful to see them for full speed and you can really see how they enjoy using thier energy. I Havent been trying that before.. but iin the bird society here there is a man that train free fligth birds.. he sometimes rent a bit riding hall. ( not sure its the right word) you know the huge room where you ride horses inside.

And for those that have birds that are totally trained for free flight, but would like to try, he arrange days were you can come up and securely let go of the bird and i have so much room to fly. They really enjoy it and cant fly away . but ofcause you also have to have lot of patience and time for some chose to land on the top and you will have to spend time luring it down, unless its well trained in return call. :) A good alternative when you cant let the bird fly free, but still want it to get some air under those wings :)
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

That's really cool!
I wouldn't free flight our ringneck, but I'd love to let him zoom around a large enclosed space.
Madhuri

Post by Madhuri »

LOL there is a lot of flaws in my writing i can see. that.

The riding hall were a place where the bird that is not secure to just let out in the free, can come and they can fly all they like without thier owner have to be afraid they fly away.

I have never had a bird trained for free flight. but i could be fun for the bird and me to try the riding hall :)
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Haha I did understand you correctly, you mean what I would call an indoor riding arena. I was just a bit lazy in my reply. I meant I'd like to let him fly around in a large enclosed space like that! :D
Madhuri

Post by Madhuri »

Exactly., LOL thank you for understanding. Sometimes it goes to fast typing. :) :roll:
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Welcome Madhuri, and thanks for replying to my post in the behaviour and taming section!

AS you can tell everyone here is lovely and so full of experience, so any concerns you might have there is always someone on hand with some suggestions.

Loo :)
Loo :)
MissK

Post by MissK »

What I really like is the range of experiences we all have in different areas.
-MissK