Fostered IRN Beak Abnormality

Moderator: Mods

Skyes_crew

Fostered IRN Beak Abnormality

Post by Skyes_crew »

I received an urgent request late last night to take in a ringneck from our parrot association president. The bird was found on a balcony of a high rise apartment building. It was dark so the condition of the bird was unknown at the time they put the bird in a carrier and brought him to me. When I took him out overall he didn't look too bad. He's about 7-8 months old. Going through his first molt and his feathers are a bit rough but will straighten out with time. The thing that concerned me right off the bat was his lower mandible. It is split straight down the middle. It does not look to be a new injury. Maybe an injury from when he was a chick or maybe he was even born with it. I was concerned at first with what to feed him, but my fears were unfounded because as soon as I put seed, fruit, egg food, and small pellets in there he dug right in with no problems cracking the food open. He obviously has adapted to the abnormality. My questions at this point are...what could have caused this? Is it something I should be concerned with? What questions should I ask the vet? Below are pics of the bird. Thanks :D

I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Ring0Neck

Re: Fostered IRN Beak Abnormality

Post by Ring0Neck »

Sky

As you've said; the bird has adapted to the deformity, i don't see the need to see a vet.
I could only assume the beak breaking like that if his beak was stuck in a wire or other tight spots and could not free himself otherwise.
He/she'll be right IMO

I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Thanks Ben. I thought so, but i thought id check just in case :) I had to take him to the vet anyway...I didn't know how long this bird had been living outside. I didn't have an empty outdoor flight open so I'm making another one tomorrow, but in the meantime I had him quarantined in the house and had to think of the safety of my pet birds. Thankfully he got a clean bill of health. Have to wait on the blood tests. But it looks like he's been surviving just fine :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Seeing as the bottom mandible does not appear overgrown, does that mean that someone has been taking the bird to the vet to get it trimmed regularly? Or would it be able to keep it trim itself?
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

The vet said because he can crack seed and run his beak along the inside edge it looks like he's been keeping it trimmed himself. No evidence of man made trimming. This little bird is a trooper. I've had no responses yet on the ads I posted :( it's a small island. Usually when a bird goes missing, everyone on the island knows within a few hours. I'm worried this bird came from a bad situation. He's a bit jumpy, but can't bite too hard for obvious reasons. He screams when he's held. When I checked his wings he had two flights on each wing that had been clipped months ago. So I'm not sure if his flights grew back and that's how he escaped or if they didn't clip enough. Regardless of the little birds past...if nobody claims him, I'm worried about his future. My husband...the king of "no more birds" wants to keep him. I don't want to get attached and then have the owner show up. What to do.....

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Well, at least it isn't setting him back much. I think there isn't much that gets between a ringneck and it's food!
Sometimes it takes time for owners to respond. We had a small dog move in with us and, despite notifying every vet in the district, the pound and posting notices at the local shops, it took the owner almost a month to call us! It turned out his daughter was 'looking after' the dog while he was away. ... She wrote down our number and gave it to him when he got home! :shock:

I'm sure the bird will enjoy its holiday at your place in the mean time.
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

Poor little guy. At least he is in good hands now. With any luck his owner will come through so you can have room to get your budgies :)
Melika

Post by Melika »

InTheAir wrote:Well, at least it isn't setting him back much. I think there isn't much that gets between a ringneck and it's food!
Sometimes it takes time for owners to respond. We had a small dog move in with us and, despite notifying every vet in the district, the pound and posting notices at the local shops, it took the owner almost a month to call us! It turned out his daughter was 'looking after' the dog while he was away. ... She wrote down our number and gave it to him when he got home! :shock:

I'm sure the bird will enjoy its holiday at your place in the mean time.
Whaaaat. If the dog had been in the pound, it could have been adopted out or destroyed by then. Last time we left for a weekend, turns out my dog didn't eat the whole weekend and didn't drink much either, because he had hurt his leg and it hurt to bend down- DH's aunt and uncle didn't tell us, at all, until over a month later. First thing I did when I came home and saw my dog was raise his bowls up, no prob. He's all better now. So now, only true 'animal people' watch my pets. :roll:
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
MissK

Post by MissK »

Part and parcel of why I don't leave my pets. The most I'll do is go a few hours away overnight, and back the next day - a separation they could survive even without my fantastic neighbor peeping in.

A long, long time ago, I went away for about 36 hours and asked my folks to maintain feed and water for my dogs. Nothing else. And my boyfriend was on cell phone standby for them to call in case they couldn't manage that. When I got home they told me I should feed the dogs because they hadn't eaten since I left.

My *parents*! Didn't feed them and didn't call my back-up caregiver, after they agreed to both. I said, well if you cant trust your parents, who can you trust? From that day, if I go more than overnight, they go with me. Needless to say, I don't go far any more. People think I'm nuts. I missed one of my best friends' wedding across the country. That's just how it is.
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Ummmm...I left my hubby home to watch the animals so I could take the kids away for three days lol. That was the first time I had left them in 7 years other than when I had my kids and that was one overnight (fought the docs on that :wink: ) I make everyone come visit me :D of course nobody really complains about the free vacation to Hawaii :lol: