diary of my first clutch

Moderator: Mods

sheyd

diary of my first clutch

Post by sheyd »

********Some very helpful links that I found in the last week or so that I feel should be added here: *********

Growth reference:
http://www.netpets.com/birds/reference/ ... index.html

Handraising diary:
http://www.angelfire.com/biz/puds1/chicks2.html

Handraising guideline:
http://www.angelfire.com/biz/puds1/handfeeding.html

Parents: SL Edged Cinnamon? Green hen & Wildtype cock

day of hatching (21st Aug 13)

3 days old
5 days old

one week old(28th Aug 13)

*eggs seen in the first two pics were foster eggs from another breeder- unfortunately the eggs weren't viable.

The locally made stainless steel rings (gotta support local ;)) I bought in anticipation before the two paired up together- guess you could say I was optimistic lol
Will try and ring them tomorrow @ 9 days- little nervous as never having done it before as well as handling something so small.
Last edited by sheyd on Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ring0Neck

Re: diary of my first clutch

Post by Ring0Neck »

Nice going Shey !

Rings might not stay on, depending on their leg size rings might fall off once or twice, you can find them in the saw dust, if really loose leave them another day and so before you put them on.
some young have big feet some don't around 10 days old.

I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Thanks Ben- I'm trying tomorrow as I'm paranoid I'll miss the window (have heard to start at 10 days, the cock is a rather large bird- the hen is not small either) - but, at the same time I'm nervous as I've only watched youtube videos on how to do it :lol:

Will update tomorrow.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Shey, it's nothing to it.

So it looks like all 3 have black eyes

I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

So excited for you Shey. Can't wait to see them feather up :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Skyes_crew wrote:So excited for you Shey. Can't wait to see them feather up :D
You & me both :D
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Shey, if you're ever fearful of banding your birds, just look at this pic and try to imagine what it was like for the poor guy who had to band the hummingbird :D makes a ringneck band look huge lol

sheyd

Post by sheyd »

I think all the color just drained from my face lol- thank goodness I don't have to deal with that! Thanks for putting things into perspective for me :lol:
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Not a problem :D

Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Also take into account you have lady hands. Imagine how hard that is for guys... :lol:
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

:lol:

sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Oh Johan! You're so funny! that made me laugh! :lol:

So, here are some pics- but I wasn't the photographer- so don't blame me that they're out of focus lol

9 days old-

This chick has dark nails-

This chick has light nails-

Can't believe how fast they grow-

blind pics- you can't actually see into the nest box from the outside (will have to fix that for next season) so you have to 'guess' where they are-

felt like handling warm water bomb balloons.. and I wasn't anticipating them being all wriggly :lol:
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Looks like momma's doing a great job keeping those crops full. Did the bands stay on?

sheyd

Post by sheyd »

They're both great parents- cock is constantly feeding the hen when she's out- or is in the box with her.

I'll find out tomorrow if the bands have stayed on (have basically only just put them on in the last 2 hours)- as I put them on, I replaced each chick back into the nest as it was fairly cold outside. I have a feeling that the smallest chick's will come off but hopefully the other two will keep their rings on- it wasn't as bad as I thought lol all that stress for nothing :)
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

None of the rings stayed on, redid them- and all came off by the next day- so, I've re-banded the biggest one only, and when his finally stays on- I'll do the other two.

I've accidentally deleted the pics of the group shot for today- so only have one pic to share;

The biggest chick- 11 days old
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

I feel the forces working against me, as I could find zero rings hidden in the box underneath the shavings- no rings on the aviary floor or around it. I don't know where they are?? I ordered more two days ago- which would have gotten here today most probably- If the mail man had of came! :( no doubt they will be here tomorrow- just hope it's not too late.

13 days old
15 days old
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Oh no!! I'm sure it will be ok. :D

JonoH

Post by JonoH »

I have the same problem, babies about the same age and waiting for the rings to arrive hoping they'll still go on!
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

I ring them and then gently try to pull it off back over the foot. If it comes off easily, try again tomorrow.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Melissa- i couldnt believe the postman didnt come yesterday- he didnt come at all down our street- typical Murphy's law! I do hope they come today..

Jono- I was surprised that the largest chicks ring came off.. I don't know what they are doing in there, but I fully expected it to stay on 3 days ago! Hope both you & I both get more rings in time..

Thanks for the tip Johan- I will start doing that with mine :)
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Rings came yesterday- was lucky to get one one the largest chick- one day more and I'm sure it would have been a no go. (Ben, hopefully that's my alpha male ;)) it was still on today when I went to check :D

Will see how we go with the next largest tomorrow.

17 days
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Oh my goodness look how they've grown! Glad the postman made it to you on time. That Murphy's law can be a tricky devil :wink: now we just need some feathers darn it lol

Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Nice going Shey,

Think about it... in less then 10 days ur bubs will look like this, how fast are they growing !?
http://parakeet.me/irn/f/c/P9054440s.jpg
look at my alpha male, he still is a mile ahead of his bro/sis

ps took this pic through an Ova-Scope egg candler of an egg shell after hatching,
http://parakeet.me/irn/f/c/tanah.jpg

I'm an Explorer
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Nice Ben! Looks like the smallest is catching up to the biggest :) what were the parent CHF's mutations again?
I'm looking forward to them colouring up- the largest has quite a lot of pins broken through already- don't know what colour he will be- probably Green - hopefully Edged (male)- if it turns out he is a cock I will be retaining him.

I am going to say I will get one edged, and two normal- with two being green series and one being blue (series). lol just for some fun.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

two have rings on now (and are staying on) :) have rung the last, hopefully his stays on now too.

19 days

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I don't know if this is fair since you have the birds right in front of you lol....but I'm going to say two blue series, one green series. Two edged, one normal :D I like to be optimistic

sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Well of course it's fair lol.. They haven't unfurled yet- so anything's possible :lol:
I actually like the Green series (everyone has something in blue or is doing something in blue) so won't mind at all if none end up being Blue lol (good chances, of none in this lot 1:4)

I'm already thinking of Dark Green Violet Cinnamon Edged for next year.. Being on next year!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

You're only on next year?! Lol. I've got the next 8 breeding seasons planned out :lol:

Ok..to keep with the results that you're looking for....I change my guess to all green series. But I remain at two edged and one normal :)

JonoH

Post by JonoH »

sheyd wrote:Melissa- i couldnt believe the postman didnt come yesterday- he didnt come at all down our street- typical Murphy's law! I do hope they come today..

Jono- I was surprised that the largest chicks ring came off.. I don't know what they are doing in there, but I fully expected it to stay on 3 days ago! Hope both you & I both get more rings in time..

Thanks for the tip Johan- I will start doing that with mine :)

Got mine yesterday thankfully and put them on straight away, i reckon if i waited for another couple of days they wouldn't have fit on!
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

much to my disappointment, the last chick's ring has come off some time between yesterday and today- it stayed on overnight when I rung it two days ago and now is gone...with the other 'lost' rings. grrr once again digging through the box and looking on the aviary floor to no avail. :(

On the brighter side, they are now 3 weeks old and doing well and the biggest has colour popping through:)
I weighed them today- with the biggest at 98 grams, the smallest at 66 and the middle at 68 grams. It is hard to believe that they all hatched on the same day.

21 days (3 weeks old)
colour! (Green series)

Melissa- one season at a time lol :lol:
Jono- great that you got them in time!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

One green down...two to go!!

sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Skyes_crew wrote:One green down...two to go!!
:lol:
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

So, I couldn't help it- after uploading today's pics I went out for another look through their box...and to my surprise I found one of the rings :) :) :) on it went- such a relief!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Yay!! :D

sheyd

Post by sheyd »

and the biggest looks like he might be a cock! went to check on them this morning and the tail feathers that had popped out were of a light green to yellowish colour- (think) on a normal wildtype, these would been an even medium green to yellowish colours. fx'd..

darker green on the wings, lighter greeny yellow on the tail- and a light blue tail feather in there as well

(edited to add pic)
Last edited by sheyd on Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

THE. SUSPENSE. IS. KILLING. ME. :D

sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Skyes_crew wrote:THE. SUSPENSE. IS. KILLING. ME. :D
you & me both! :mrgreen: :lol:
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

23 days

the smallest is now the same size as the middle chick. They're both roughly developing at the same rate

colour- of the largest, not sure on this one being a cock anymore- need for the other two to colour up..
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

The chick that had the light nails, still has light nails- though they have darkened a bit, but are still lighter than the other two- I wonder if this means that this chick is the only edged in the clutch..and the other two are normals?

Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Shey,

Enjoying the breeding fever? :D

I won't say anything, but i stand by what i said when you got the birds, time will tell
Patience :roll: if there is such a thing when breeding ringx.
I'm an Explorer
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Ring0Neck wrote:Shey,

Enjoying the breeding fever? :D

I won't say anything, but i stand by what i said when you got the birds, time will tell
Patience :roll: if there is such a thing when breeding ringx.
nope, I don't believe there is such a thing! haha, and yes- well and truly :D (I'm off to Bunnings soon- need to get some untreated wood.. :lol:
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Hmmm....that largest one...a wild type maybe??? :D

I'm going to send you an email

rayhan

Post by rayhan »

hi, iv had ring necks for about 7 months and now they are about 10 months, when will they start breeding, and no im not the type of person who wants to make money out of them, anyway i dont know anything about these birds and how they breed so what should i know about them.

thanks and im from the uk
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

rayhan wrote:hi, iv had ring necks for about 7 months and now they are about 10 months, when will they start breeding, and no im not the type of person who wants to make money out of them, anyway i dont know anything about these birds and how they breed so what should i know about them.

thanks and im from the uk
if you don't know anything about them, If I were you I'd start by learning and reading everything I could before trying to breed them- why not start your own thread..?
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

all rings are now staying on :) looks like I have myself a second green series- one left to show colour.

25 days

pupils are now visible

feathers in the sunlight (more than likely a hen)
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Shey what are your percentages?

Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Hi Shey,
Congrats on the new brood. They are looking good. I'm afraid the anticipation of waiting to find out what the babies are doesn't get any better with future breeding seasons. After many years of breeding its still like my first season, every year. It's an addiction and you just need your daily fix to see if they have spontaneously grown feathers overnight.

I currently have 16 babies on the go so you can imagine what I'm going through. The suspense is killing me, and patience is in short supply.

In regards to the alpha male theory, I think it's more of the case that the squeaky wheel gets the oil. So the loudest chick gets fed more. I have had just as many large chicks turnout to be hens as they do males.
Keep up the good work.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Kappa,

Alpha male is just a brain exercise, can't even categorise as a theory.
I believe Shey mentions hen or male becuase she thinks in terms of:
males to be edged
hens to be normal

is that so Shey?

PS: Shey, yes it does seem to be a hen, i can see black feathers popping, right?
I'm an Explorer
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Kappa wrote: It's an addiction and you just need your daily fix to see if they have spontaneously grown feathers overnight.

I currently have 16 babies on the go so you can imagine what I'm going through. The suspense is killing me, and patience is in short supply.
Very well put! :lol:
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Johan S wrote:
Kappa wrote: It's an addiction and you just need your daily fix to see if they have spontaneously grown feathers overnight.

Very well put! :lol:
I used all mine up in July :lol:

PS: Hotest August on record, heard on tv (pretty sure that's what i heard), see ACA 6:30 Monday evening even online.
I think they are predicting hectic weather, floods etc...
http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/
or read
http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/inla ... heat/25401
I'm an Explorer