Did your ringneck go through bluffing?

Moderator: Mods

Yes
60%
No
31%
Can’t tell you because I got my ringneck when it was older.
9%

Total votes: 65

ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Bluffing is a stage that most baby ringneck go through after weaning. They tend to get nippy and testy.
Greg Sujecki

Post by Greg Sujecki »

:o Must be lucky for Mylo is 8 months old and has never had a go at me yet :)
Greg, Mylo and the flock!
Libby_D

Post by Libby_D »

Well so far we've been lucky, only 8 1/2 wks old, but so far so good. I;m really hoping he doesnt, i am going through sexual maturity stage with my quaker, who bites out of the blue every once in a while, so i'm crossing my fingers with harley!
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

My 9 week old IRN, India is no bluffer. Touch her when she so not desires and you draw back a nub... even at 9 wks. Very sweet baby, just hates to be touched. She doesnt like touch ever but will sometimes tolerate it for maybe two or three strokes them BAM! enough is enough she says.
Melika

Post by Melika »

Yeah, But Hane didn't do it at weaning. He was the sweetest thing until a few weeks ago. Now he doesn't even want to get on my finger. So I've been using his love of food against him and trying to be patient. He actually bit me HARD once and I think I may have hit him- not hard but the details are a little fuzzy. But he hasn't bit to bleed since then. :?

He's already improving though. Since every time I approach he gets 1 sunflower seed. Now he has to step on my finger to get it, I don't take him out since he steps right off after grabbing the seed from my other hand. That's progress though. I'm a dog trainer so I'm used to immediate response and progress is seen from day one. Not so with birds. Takes much longer but the progress is still there.

I figure when he gets to the point where he steps on and stays (even though I could just put my thumb on his foot like he's used to but I want to build more trust) then I can work on getting him out again. As long as he doesn't bite, I'm happy. It's not a habit I want him to get used to.
Dani03

Oh Dear Lord YES

Post by Dani03 »

Prinny went through this stage...it was pretty bad but we got through it :wink: She was very nippy and didn't want to be in her cage. Bed time was horrrible :D She only lasted about three weeks however so I'd better be glad it wasn't longer...

Dani and Prinny
Julz

Post by Julz »

My brother was handrearing a green IRN, he had never done much research on their behaviour, when one day Domenic (tha bird) just started biting him, he did not know what to do, so he just put it in an avairy outside, this was two years ago. And as time went by he got more and more aggresive, and just a month ago he flew away, he has done this before, but he would always come back to his cage, now i fear a cat has got to him, but seeing he is so aggresive i'm sure he would of killed tha cat 8) , anyway i plan on not making the same mistake as he did.
JULZ
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Chocobo won't bite me or the kids - but bites my partner hard!

He puffs right up and lunges trying to act all scary, and If he's picked up he will usually bite hard enough to draw blood.
I am so very happy he does not do this to me!
Dolphinheart

Post by Dolphinheart »

Siren was 9 months when we got her so no i guess on that one

Drift is another matter - she is not even weaned yet and she is going thruthe biting stage - sigh - so nt sure what to put as an asnwer in the poll-lol
Janet

Bluffing

Post by Janet »

One did, the other one couldn't be bothered!
skittles

going through it now!!

Post by skittles »

We are dealing with bluffing as I type!! I am glad I had this site to refer to and read other people's stories! It has helped me understand what Skittles is doing, and we are dealing with the best we can. I know why they call it bluffing, she totally has the kids bluffed that she will eat them alive if they get near her! (She doesn't scare me though, I am trying very hard NOT to scream when she does get me)
Skittles and her mommy
CalamariBaby

Post by CalamariBaby »

I don't think Zazu is going through buffing as he is just over 4 months old but he does do it to my kids. He learned right away that my sweet 4 year old could be bluffed. She does not want to get bit. But my 2 1/2 year old isn't afraid so he just runs from her.
He has been very gentle with me. When he wants private time he finds a spot on his cage with an escape route if we go for him.
But when he wants to bug us there is no getting away from him.
Allie
craigvik

Re: Did your ringneck go through bluffing?

Post by craigvik »

Hi,

Yes, we are going through it now as I type also and my Indy....also has the kids scared. My youngest wont go near her, which is why I got him a nice gentle cockatiel to get used too. I haven't had any trouble with her but my IRN is 9mths old and has been in this bluffing stage for what seems like forever.

Hoping to persevere with her thanks to the advice on this site...I really was at my wits end! :)
PythonzEve

Post by PythonzEve »

I think Sukha may be bluffing, but he is 5 months old and only got him a couple weeks ago, so have nothing to really compare to. He's lunging and biting from time to time, though it's not consistent and we don't shy away so he's learning it does him no good.
Jessica

If one refuses to learn and maintains a closed mind, one is thus trapped from the procession of life in their own archaic self-imprisonment. -Jessica McNeely

Because my Rice Crispies told me to! -Unknown

effekt

Post by effekt »

Kashi went through a very short bluffing stage but it lasted only a few months and she didn't nip too hard. She would lunge at my hand when I would go to pick her up, and when she realized I wasn't going away, she'd step up and be fine.

I also taught her to nudge my hand away with her beak, instead of biting, when she wants to be left alone. She's going through a phase right now where she always wants to be with me, it is really cute.

Archimedes hates to be touched and does not like hands. But he doesn't really bite because he'd rather get away than be near hands. He did take a good chunk out of my finger a few weeks ago, but it was more of an accident because he was losing his balance. That has only happened that one time.

I've been working with him on stepping up and he's doing so good. Before I started working with him, he would never step up, and he'd even jump off the side of the cage to thunk on the ground rather than having a hand get near him. But now he steps up very nicely and even comes to me when he sees me reaching my hand out.

He still isn't entirely comfortable with hands; I can't hold him for more than a minute or so, before he gets too agitated and tries to jump off my hand. But small steps every day, and I'm very proud of his progress so far!