No votes
10 or more years old
6%

Total votes: 105

MissK

Re: How old is your ringneck?

Post by MissK »

Hi Azballa,

I think it may have something to do with the excitement people have when they are new to something. When you are first getting your IRN you run around sharing the news and learning stuff (like yourself) and immerse yourself in the social situation on the web. Once you've had your bird a while you get used to the idea and become a little less explosively excited, settling in to the workings of life and more advanced aspects of bird keeping.

That's my opinion. I've been on this forum a little over a year. When I was first here, I was very interested in helping people who were a little more new to bird keeping than myself. I spent a lot of effort reading the forum and writing for people. Now I'm tired of wearing myself out to help people who are asking the same newbie questions and my excitement level about interacting with people has gone way down. I'm still like a kid on Christmas about my BIRD, but the blush is off the rose for the social scene. I think that might explain the drop in poll participation level for those with older birds. Here in the forum, they've just been there, done that, and moved along.

However, I welcome you and your observation, and despite feeling a little cranky will certainly try to help you as your questions come along. :) For the record, my bird is 11, and I have had him a little over a year.

-MissK
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I agree with MissK's assessment. There are quite a few members with older birds. They just don't sign on and comment as often anymore. :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Azballa7

Post by Azballa7 »

Ahhh ok thank you very much makes sense with everything you have stated Missk. I was starting to think the same thing. Everyone is excited and has tons of questions in the beginning but after they learn how to take care of their birds they drift away from the forums and just live their lives.
itzik

Post by itzik »

My boy is 2 years old
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

Azballa7 wrote:Ahhh ok thank you very much makes sense with everything you have stated Missk. I was starting to think the same thing. Everyone is excited and has tons of questions in the beginning but after they learn how to take care of their birds they drift away from the forums and just live their lives.
Like I am doing :lol: ! Just don't find much time to visit this lovely and informative forum. By the way my Kiwi is how old? Not too sure, but the numbers on his leg band are: SP01 09 38. Does any of those digits indicate his age? I wonder if anyone knows :? :lol:

Ash
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

I agree with MissK,

As for a breeder of mutations is much easier to keep the flame burning.
One could easily make a 5 to 10 year plan for breeding certain combinations and the longer it takes the more joy at the end of it all (Some never end or new ones come about to take their place).
There's always new combos that will keep the excitement going for years.

83IV
I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
MissK

Post by MissK »

That makes some sense, as your situation really is always evolving. Thus, the person who is breeding basically has new birds every clutch. AND they are "keeping" more than birds. Like gardeners, they are planning, "planting", cultivating, getting results, and moving to the next season. When someone is into something, that thing comes alive for them, regardless whether it is alive, not alive, or not even tangible.

You guys probably have birds in ALL the ages!
-MissK
Melika

Post by Melika »

Azballa7 wrote:Ahhh ok thank you very much makes sense with everything you have stated Missk. I was starting to think the same thing. Everyone is excited and has tons of questions in the beginning but after they learn how to take care of their birds they drift away from the forums and just live their lives.
It's not just that, but we have no way of editing our vote. At the time this poll began and I voted, in 2005, I had just gotten Hane. Now he is over eight years old. :)

We should do a new poll, so it would be more accurate. I imagine there will still be many members with younger birds, since finding information on the new companion is what brought them here, but there would likely be more older birds now.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay