Have you tried your pet's packaged food?

Moderator: Mods

Poll ended at Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:12 pm

yes
69%
no
31%

Total votes: 13

MissK

Post by MissK »

I'm betting more than a few of us have eaten some packaged for animals food.
Have you?
What was it?
Where do you draw the line?

I've eaten rabbit feed, a few dry dog foods, and some parrot pellets.
I draw the line at fish food.

NOTE: If you vote no, and then try some of the food, you can change your vote!
This poll is running for 68 days.
-MissK
AJPeter

Re: Have you tried your pet's packaged food?

Post by AJPeter »

MissK
If l had a horse you will be asking me next if l have tried pony nuts?
AJPeter
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I also drew the line at fish food, it doesn't smell right for me. Also canned cat and dog food has never passed my lips.
I have tried most foods I have fed to my creatures. Over my life I have had horses, goats, rabbits, guinea pigs, cats, a dog and the irns. Sweet feed for horses is really nice! Lucerne chaff made me feel a bit sick. I don't like dog or cat kibbles and parrot food is bland.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

i have tried a mangol, but was too tough!
AJPeter
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Oh I have eaten some dog biscuits, one I went for a camping week end in the outback and picked up the wrong tin. When you have nothing else, nothing else will do!
Did you know rabbits eat their food twice?
AJPeter
MissK

Post by MissK »

AJ, cast your vote already.
-MissK
Kimma

Post by Kimma »

I used to eat fish flakes occasionally when I was a kid. For some reason I thought they were tasty. I've no idea why.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

A friend of mine used to sit around eating Beggin'Strips for dogs.. he said they actually -did- taste like bacon.

I have tried a single piece of dry cat food before...

and I have tried these spicy gummy things from the bird's treat bag.. they were gross.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, I forgot about the cat food. That stuff was *awful*!

Best pet food I ever tasted was a mostly raw, dehydrated product called "Force" from The Honest Kitchen company. It's heavy on the veggies with cooked chicken. The rosemary, I think, was predominant. I used to tell my friends they were going to get it made into dip with sour cream one day. :lol:
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I have voted MissK do you want me to vote again?
Dog and cat food have more restricitons on what goes into the recipe than human food unless it comes from Europe or else where but you really have to watch our for Chubbs these are tubes of meat sold for dog or cats they have enough sulphur in them to start a volcano but give the chubb a shelf life of 6 to 12 months.
AJPeter
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Just cheated and looked at the results and it would appear l have not voted, do dog biscuits count as a yes?, so l have gone against the trend and voted no
MissK

Post by MissK »

You have to change your vote to yes. You said you ate them. You're in.
-MissK
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

I voted no. I have never ate any pet food nor will I ever taste them! I don't know what makes a person taste packaged pet food! Especially tinned cat or dog food, Gross. And fish flakes! Eeeks.

Ash
Melika

Post by Melika »

Yep. Only dry foods though, depending on the smell. I remember Hane's pellets that I used to get smelled like candy. They most assuredly did not taste like candy!
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
MissK

Post by MissK »

Ash-

We taste them because we are so wound up in what our pet experiences. Also, was hoping the bird would see me eat pellets and think they were yummy. They weren't.
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Ash l think the sort of person who eats their pet food is probably frustrated. :!: :evil:
No name
WOT no tongue in cheek smiley?
Little Buttercup

Ok AJ i'm not frustrated so I won't taste it. My pets let me know if their food is nice tasting, if they don't want to eat it I understand they don't like the taste of it and I won't force them, i'll give them another alternative. If I give a new food, sometimes they won't eat it, but after giving it a few times they decide to try it.

Missk, So the pellets were'nt yummy and if your bird see your expression at having eaten something not yummy, I suppose it would put him off tasting it.

Oh I think I did taste petfood afterall, the only thing I used to eat alot from petfood was the sunflower seeds in my chicken mix. I would pick them out, shell them and then eat it :) . Now I buy a pkt of shelled sunflowers for myself and I eat it nearly everyday.

Ash
MissK

Post by MissK »

Heh. I was very sneaky. I pretended they were great. BUT it turned out he didn't take my word for it. The Budgies convinced him!
-MissK
Little Buttercup

I thought so!! That sure you kept a straight face :lol: . But he must've sensed it.

Ash
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Of what do pellets taste of? Pellets of course.
Actually l am thinking of trying to get Billie to go onto pellets l tried before but she refused to eat them.
AJPeter
zentoucan

Post by zentoucan »

why would you eat pet food. God knows what is put in it. the ingredients used are of a lower standards that's why pet food is not fit for human consumption. I read a report years ago about the so called gourmet pet foods. in both wet and dry pet foods there is a high level of bacteria, chemicals, bird, rat and mouse excrement and these were the higher priced end of pet foods. pet owners where a bit upset in the standards considering the price. I only give my birds seeds, nuts, fresh fruit and vegies that I would eat.
for the record, no never eaten pet food.
Little Buttercup

zentoucan wrote:why would you eat pet food. God knows what is put in it. the ingredients used are of a lower standards that's why pet food is not fit for human consumption. I read a report years ago about the so called gourmet pet foods. in both wet and dry pet foods there is a high level of bacteria, chemicals, bird, rat and mouse excrement and these were the higher priced end of pet foods. pet owners where a bit upset in the standards considering the price. I only give my birds seeds, nuts, fresh fruit and vegies that I would eat.
for the record, no never eaten pet food.
For that very reason I give my pets unprocessed food, foods that I can see what is in, seeds and whole fresh foods, Leave alone eat bought pet food myself.

Ash