IRN or alexandrine

Moderator: Mods

aamirlove

IRN or alexandrine

Post by aamirlove »

i have 10 budgie and 2 lovebirds.now i am planing to buy a parrot but i m confused which one should i buy.IRN or alexandrine.
Fieldz

Re: IRN or alexandrine

Post by Fieldz »

The Alexandrine is an IRN, but in larger size. I would buy a normal sized Indian Ringneck because they can get up to 16 inches including the tail while the Alexandrine can get up to 25.

Well, its yours choice. Both of them look the same but the Alexandrine is 9 inches larger, needing a cage with more space.
spdbalshaw

Post by spdbalshaw »

I'm not sure where you are from, but in Australia IRN are alot cheaper at about $200 a hand-reared baby, compared to the Alexandrine which would cost more like $450. As fieldz said the Alexandrine's are slightly bigger however I beleive IRN's are easier to come across in mutated colours(blue, yellow, white etc...), so if you would like a bird that is a different colour than green you would probly be better of choosing an IRN. Other than these differences i can not think of to much else that separates the two.
clawnz

Post by clawnz »

spdbalshaw wrote:I'm not sure where you are from, but in Australia IRN are alot cheaper at about $200 a hand-reared baby, compared to the Alexandrine which would cost more like $450. As fieldz said the Alexandrine's are slightly bigger however I beleive IRN's are easier to come across in mutated colours(blue, yellow, white etc...), so if you would like a bird that is a different colour than green you would probly be better of choosing an IRN. Other than these differences i can not think of to much else that separates the two.
Thank you for this comment.
I have two Alex and had been looking up what others think about each type.
I would say my two were very well raised and trained and they are great to have around.
Valeria

Post by Valeria »

IRN for sure !
MissK

Post by MissK »

They're both nice.
Last edited by MissK on Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
zentoucan

Post by zentoucan »

the Indian ringneck, African ringneck and the Alexandrine are all members of the ringneck family and are not a parrot but a parakeet which the Alexandrine is the largest, there are 5 sub species. with the Nepalese being the largest, growing to half a metre long. although I saw one at Morriset on the central coast and he would have been over three quarters of a Metre long at 12 months old.
fieldz, the Alexandrine is a ringneck not a Indian ringneck. there is some considerable differences between the Alexandrine and Indian ringneck. The Alexandrine has a larger beak, a longer head, red shoulder patches, comes in green and is larger in size. I saw a blue Alexandrine once and the cost was $2500 dollars Australian. I only paid $350 for my Alexandrine and that's hand raised. Having both, I find that the IRN is a lot noisier than the Alexandrine. But the Alexandrine is louder and the Alexandrine is more destructive then the Indian ringneck the nickname "chainsaw" is well earned. has for personality I haven't see much different. both are friendly, curious and inquisitive. I don't think that a IRN or a Alexandrine would be a good mix with budgies and/or love birds as both are larger and are more than capable of inflicting damage or death to a smaller bird, if they cross paths. I have heard of breeders cross breeding Alexandrine and IRN to achieve different colours in the Alexandrine. But having only ever seen one blue Alexandrine so it must be difficult to achieve different colours. I wouldn't give up either one for the world.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

MissK wrote:
(In a good way, very parrot-y, even reminscent of the macaw....) When I see one, I am always looking around for his pirate as well. :wink: -MissK
I'm here MissK

Billie's pirate