My IRN is bitting. HELP!!

Moderator: Mods

yanika

My IRN is bitting. HELP!!

Post by yanika »

Good morning,

Can someone help me with some tips to stop my IRN from bitting please..
This morning he bit me so hard he didnt want to let go my hand.. this is all because i went to touch my other ringneck :(

Thanks
Yanika
webby09

Re: My IRN is bitting. HELP!!

Post by webby09 »

blow gently on his face, works for me, just nice and slow, they will stop pretty quick
Tikobird

Post by Tikobird »

make sure you're spreading attention evenely because ive heard a story of when a IRN got jealous of a budgie and almost killed him, it was so bad he did have to be put down, and it happened because the boy was taming his friends pet budgie for him and the IRN saw it all :( its sad ayye. i doubt it will happen with 2 IRN's but there is still that chance.
The_dailypeep

Post by The_dailypeep »

yanika wrote:Good morning,

Can someone help me with some tips to stop my IRN from bitting please..
This morning he bit me so hard he didnt want to let go my hand.. this is all because i went to touch my other ringneck :(

Thanks
Yanika
So, I don't let my IRN "see" me pay attention to my other bird. She gets jealous. Also, I've noticed that my IRN will give me a warning that she will bite, (eye pinning). I have found that if she is being "bitey" and/or in a bad mood, she must be ignored. I return her to her cage and sometimes she needs her blanket over her cage so she can't be "part" of the group actions or partaking in interaction. I don't yell at her, or react whatsoever if she bites - if you react it becomes "fun" for the bird to bite you. Learn to suck it up. Believe me - it's hard!!! One day, she was in a really bad mood, so I put her "to bed" (always, always kindly and gently). She was really tired and when she calmed down, then I was able to take her out later. I am learning that she "spaces out". So, if she is looking somewhere or thinking about something and out of the corner of her eye there is a sudden hand movement of some kind, it can startle her and she will react and bite. Our first instinct is to move the hand to re-assure her that everything is ok - but that becomes another hand movement for her to react against. So, it's better just to hold still until she calms down and sees that there is no "sudden movement aka threat". Then she is ok. We just have to give her a moment or a few minutes for her to relax again.

I suggest that your bird receive no attention from you when he bites. That means he is not given an opportunity, much less a reward of attention/reaction when he is punishing you for being "unfaithful", lol. He is disciplining YOU, trying to train you to not pay attention to anyone but him. This is a natural thing that birds do with their mates.