How to find out what sex a ringneck is. WITHOUT DNA TEST

Moderator: Mods

mickpmc

How to find out what sex a ringneck is. WITHOUT DNA TEST

Post by mickpmc »

Hi there,
I am thinking of buying a sky blue Ringneck that is 6 months old. :D
I think these are a way of quessing there sex:
Baby male have slight ring neck pattern female dont, male have bright red beak female have pale, male have bump on the rear end ( like penis) female is flat, male is louder than females, male have brighter overal colour than female.
What do you guys think and whats your idea of telling :?: . Also, were would you be able
to find a place were they do a DNA test for the bird? :?
Anyway,
Good day! :wink:

-Michael :mrgreen:

Milo...Boy...Buddy
ellieelectrons

Re: How to find out what sex a ringneck is. WITHOUT DNA TEST

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Michael

I'm not an expert in this area... but I don't think it is really possible to tell at that age. Even DNA testing isn't 100% accurate. Judging by other posts I have read here, you are more likely to be able to make good guess at the bird's sex by observing body language... but that's still no guarantee.

My DNA-sexed female is almost 2 years old and she has a feint ring around her neck but it's not black, it's more a light blue colour. She is also not as tall as our male 8 month old lutino DNA-sexed male.

The indicators for me that she is female are her temperament and lately she seems to be engaging in nesting-type behaviour... however, I am still aware that she may turn out to be a he... but I'm pretty sure she would have the beginnings of a black ring by now if she were a he.

Regards

Ellie.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Michael - sorry, I also meant to say Welcome to the forum and good luck with your choice of bird!

You asked about where to go for DNA-sexing. I imagine that depends on what country you are from. Where are you from?

Ellie.
mickpmc

Post by mickpmc »

ellieelectrons wrote:Michael - sorry, I also meant to say Welcome to the forum and good luck with your choice of bird!

You asked about where to go for DNA-sexing. I imagine that depends on what country you are from. Where are you from?

Ellie.
Im from Australia, living in NSW Central Coast. By the way, "GO THE BLUES!"
even though they lost for the 10000,000th time :-)

Milo...Boy...Buddy
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Michael

I haven't had any DNA testing done on IRNs myself as with both our birds, the breeder organised it, they just on-charged us. However, i just had a look through a Parrot Society magazine and one of their advertisers does DNA testing. They claim that they are 99% accurate. Their website is www.mdsaustralia.net. I'm not recommending them as I don't know anything about them. I seem to recall a university in Western Australia has a good reputation for DNA sexing too.

However, if you are looking at buying a bird, I'm sure a reputable breeder or pet store will organise a test for you. Some may also offer surgical sexing which is more accurate but requires the bird undergo anaesthetic.

When we bought our first IRN, we wanted a boy but there was only one boy in the whole litter... and somebody else got in before us... so we took home a girl any way. We love her like crazy but we do find her more temperamental than our male.... so when she's good she's very, very good and when she's naughty, she's very, very naughty!

Best wishes for your IRN selection!

Ellie.
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

mickpmc wrote: Baby male have slight ring neck pattern female dont, male have bright red beak female have pale, male have bump on the rear end ( like penis) female is flat, male is louder than females, male have brighter overal colour than female.

All ringnecks get a pattern of a ring, unless albino
Im pretty sure the bump at the rear end is the oil gland because ever baby bird i have seen has one
males are not louder then females in general, i have a female IRN and she is the loudest one i have ever met
Shane7285

Post by Shane7285 »

Hi Michael

MDS Australia is who I have used previously. I found them to be good. I used them once, and the breeder I got my guy from now used them.

I think that determining the sex without DNA is impossible if the bird is under 3 years old. I have heard of people guessing using the shape of the head, but even that is not definite.

Regards

Shane
Cleggy

Post by Cleggy »

Has anyone had success with the old iron nail trick ? We tested this on DNA tested Lorrokeets with 95% accuracy but still find it hard to convince myself its nothing more than a coincidence

Dave ...