Escaping Birds

We love to hear daily stories, ringneck antics, and more ringneck antics!

Moderator: Mods

Jade

Escaping Birds

Post by Jade »

On Friday we had 90km/h winds come through home and it tore apart two of my aviaries, literally ripping them out of the ground and hurling them 3 properties over. Luckily my birds weren't hurt but 4 got out. I lost a pair of King parrots and my little handreared Sunny and his new friend Cher.

The next morning we were able to get Sunny back because he was flapping around and calling out for us - he was really scared and trying to find his way into his broken aviary. No sign of Cher.

The King parrots circled for a few days until we were able to salvage their aviary and with the help of friends we constructed a new aviary for them and propped the door open. The male Kingy came home first for a feed so we put him in a cage inside the aviary and he called for his mate to come home. She is crafty and circled around the nearby trees but wouldn't come down. In the end I hid in my laundry with a long rope going out to the door of the aviary and waited. It took 2 hours for her to be confident enough to fly in and I got her!! This is the 4th time the Kingys have escaped now. They always come home in their own good time. We have joked about just leaving the door open and just provide them with food and a place to crash like teenagers.

I still can't find Cher. I think she's long gone. I'm upset about this because she was a green split blue that I was hoping to cross with Sunny who is a yellow split blue. :(

Such is life.
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

Sorry to hear that Jade, It's always sad when those kinds of things happen :(
selma

Post by selma »

oh dear this is the second time now. I truly hope and pray we have a happy ending like last week.
Melika

Post by Melika »

This always makes me consider concrete foundations- like building a second story deck- and a thicker guage wire, lol. So many bird aviaries are hit by our hurricanes. I have spare cages for when I need to bring the budgies and 'tiel in from outside, sometimes for days in colder weather.

When charlie was coming last year we were all holed up, dogs, birds and people, downstairs near the back room. Which we had made into a little fortress, lol. Of course, Charlie veered south of us but still, it was good preparation.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Jade

Post by Jade »

NO NO NO..... It's all okay....don't panic guys!!!

This happened about 2 weeks before Chuckles got out. Its about the 4th time the Kingys have escaped. They always come home :lol: They miss the food :roll:

Its just annoying because we have to sit around and wait for them to come in and pull the door shut before they eat and run!!

It's all good. Thanks for your concern though.