PeeGee's story

We love to hear daily stories, ringneck antics, and more ringneck antics!

Moderator: Mods

LAAnnie

PeeGee's story

Post by LAAnnie »

PeeGee (short for Pretty Girl) is my beloved IRN. She is my first and only bird, but she is an important member of our family. This bird simply showed up at my house one day, almost 4 years ago. I found her on the front lawn, exausted, dehydrated and starving. After trying unsuccessfully to find her owner, I ended up letting her stay, even though I knew nothing about parrots. The vet told me what breed she was. Its a good thing I didn't read anything about Ringnecks at that time, because these birds get a lot of bad publicity for being hard to tame, etc. PeeGee bonded to me, and does not really like other people very much. But she is the smartest and funniest creature, keeping us all amused with her antics and personality. She is living proof that even wild adult birds can make great companions, if you are patient and kind.

I never would have gone out and bought a pet bird. This one chose me. She's only a greenie, but she thinks she is the Queen!
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:wink: Just beautiful!! She picked the right home!
So sad the way IRNs have had a bad rep. I just cant see why! When they are actually one of the oldest pet bird species. :(
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
LAAnnie

Post by LAAnnie »

Today I was having a meeting with a client (I'm an accountant) and we were talking for about a half hour, and no one was paying attention to the bird! So, PeeGee flew over and landed on the desk, walked up to me and gave me a "kiss". That means, "hey, pay attention to me!" She only stays in her cage at night, to sleep. Otherwise, she has the run of the house. That's why she's so happy, I guess. But I don't handle her too much, only when she wants to. She's not real cuddly, it has to be on her terms! Whe she wants affection, she lets us know.