Ride in the car

We love to hear daily stories, ringneck antics, and more ringneck antics!

Moderator: Mods

Bird crazy

Ride in the car

Post by Bird crazy »

Nila went along to the drive up pharmacy with me today. Put a towel over the head rest and seat back and he stood on the headrest and looked out the window. He loved it. He chirped and made happy sounds all the way. When we got to the drive thru window he wouldn't come to me to see but he was bending down as far as he could to look up into the window to see what was going on. :D

Sue and Nila
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

One of Prinny's favorite things to do is go in the car and go byebye...too cute

Dani
Mattls

Post by Mattls »

Was Nila secure at all? Not very safe otherwise...
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I take Baby literally everywhere with me. If I go, he goes.

He is clipped. If your bird is clipped I HIGHLY recommend taking your baby with you any and everywhere you can.

Im in a hotel in Jacksonville since Tuesday, live in Tampa. Baby is right here on me. If I go to Wal-Mart, Baby is right there with me perched on my Parda. People love it!

Leashes dont work well for IRNs and if your bird is clipped they are not needed. Havent met a ringneck yet that would allow it but Im sure some out there dont mind. Baby would eat it off of him, after eating me while putting it on. Waste of time patience and money.

Get those babies out and about every chance you get :!:

If you think its a bad idea, look at Datsun and Baby... both go everywhere and both are awesome, social birds.

If the bird is clipped and the owner has basic common sense (watch for cars or anything that is going to spook the bird) there is absolutely no reason we should fear taking our babies with us.

Its good for them. My bird doesnt scream when we have company. Why? Because he sees strangers all the time.

Sidenote: I DO NOT take Baby anywhere that has birds... flea markets, pet stores... none of those places as not to expose him to disease. Again, all about common sense and knowing your bird.
~ Mikaela Sky

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Mik you must live in a very relaxed area...if I tried ot bring Prinny with me to wal-mart they'd throw a fit! Probably refuse to let me in...*sighs* I don't get it...it's not like she'd DO anything

Dani
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Relaxed? :lol:

Im right in the middle of Tampa. 6 Lanes of traffic on every road in the city. :roll:

Baby is cool always, long as he is wif his mama. He is like an accessory I clip to my bag. Except I cant get him off of me as easliy. That bird aint goin nowhere and if he did, he'd be back if I stood and waited.

Im all he knows. Have to remember, Baby and I have been riding out from day one, not even weened. Its what he knows.
~ Mikaela Sky

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Ah but Mik that's not what I am worried about! I am more worried about the shop owners/workers not letting me in with her...I live in a stuck up area *sighs*

Dani
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

I know there is a a certain amount of risk taking a pet in a car without some sort of restraint, if I had to stop suddenly the bird could be thrown around and injured. :( I think that's the danger Mattis was referring to. And I know most car accidents occur within 10 miles of home. I generally have Nila in his travel cage and that is securec wita a seatbelt, whenever we go in the car but we actually went only about 2.5 miles roundtrip, My development is 1 mile out for me and has speed limit of 15 mph. So we were only on the highway really less than 1/2 mile round trip. :oops:

But I do want to make the point that I agree there is a saftey issue if you take the bird in the car and do not have it in a safe carrier. Even a small fender bender could prove deadly to a small pet being thrown up on the dash or windshield. So said, also want to note it's a personal choice to take that risk or not.

Sue and Nila (who votes no to the carrier)
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

You know Sue...I agree with you. Prinny H-A-T-E-S her carrier so when we are in the car for a while she is allowed out onto a perch. Same with Bodi..

Dani
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

My bird travels miles.

Many miles. God the miles.. oh, sorry. Anyway, He doesnt have a birdie seat belt. He hangs out on her shower perch stuck to the window and watches a movie.

The idea of a carrier, in my instance, would just be cruel because he would be in it 5-12 hours a day or leave him home. He dont like to be left home. :evil:

One could say 'Leave him home, car is dangerous'. Yet, we put our kids in one everyday. -shrug-

Explain that one to me. 'Gods will be done on earth as it is in Heaven'. In other words, what will be will be. Our egos tell us we have so much control and we forget somethings are simply going to happen... for a reason. I dont let my ego tell me I am in full control of my destiny. In fact, I know The Lord is. So, I dont even have that burden on my shoulders, the lord carries it.

So, if my bird dies in a wreck, he would have been dead when I got home because it would have been calls will.
~ Mikaela Sky

xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

How sweet!Baby loved to go byebye too! For short trips I would just plop him on his play gym and go! I think since Jazzy is quite a bit bigger, I shouldn't take her in the car with me uncaged...Especially since new stuff scares ekkies (right?). She literally is a lil CHICKEN! :lol:
xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

Mikaela wrote:My bird travels miles.

Many miles. God the miles.. oh, sorry. Anyway, He doesnt have a birdie seat belt. He hangs out on her shower perch stuck to the window and watches a movie.

The idea of a carrier, in my instance, would just be cruel because he would be in it 5-12 hours a day or leave him home. He dont like to be left home. :evil:

One could say 'Leave him home, car is dangerous'. Yet, we put our kids in one everyday. -shrug-

Explain that one to me. 'Gods will be done on earth as it is in Heaven'. In other words, what will be will be. Our egos tell us we have so much control and we forget somethings are simply going to happen... for a reason. I dont let my ego tell me I am in full control of my destiny. In fact, I know The Lord is. So, I dont even have that burden on my shoulders, the lord carries it.

So, if my bird dies in a wreck, he would have been dead when I got home because it would have been calls will.

Amen sista! You're amazing, Mik :)