Escape artist...

We love to hear daily stories, ringneck antics, and more ringneck antics!

Moderator: Mods

ranechild

Escape artist...

Post by ranechild »

I came home last night to a dark house--my boyfriend had gone to happy hour and I was the first one home.

I open the door and go in the living room and say hi to the birds so they know I'm going to turn on the light... But I look over at Fats' cage and see his silohoutte on the perch on the OUTSIDE of his cage!

I turn on the light and go over there... the cage door is closed and locked. I look at his food and water hoping I hadn't locked him out of his cage all day, but there were pellets in his water and his seed dish was almost empty--ok, he ate and drank inside the cage sometime today.

So I called my boyfriend and asked him if he had been home before happy hour--he says no. So now I'm sitting on the couch with Fats utterly puzzled at how he got to the outside of the cage (where he walked all over the piano and nibbled off the corners of all the mail before he pushed it off the edge).

Then it dawns on me--there are other doors on his cage. Sure enough he openned the 4 inch swinging door for his food dish (which we never use) and somehow got out of it. Just glad he didn't starve or thirst to death... Now I'm considering an outside of the cage food and water source in case I ever make a mistake or he outsmarts me again.
MissK

Re: Escape artist...

Post by MissK »

He's gonna keep you on your toes! Time to lock the doors.
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Yes these things can give you a nasty turn, during our hot summer l opened the window wide to let some air in and went out but when l got back Billie was on top of the cage enjoying the breeze she had got out through one of those little doors which l had not closed propperly, the only thing that stopped her flying off was the net or lace curtain was briskly flapping in the breeze!
AJPeter
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay did the same when he had his nursery cage, he pushed the slot in water dish out and squeezed through the aperture. Found his way in to the kitchen, couldn't figure out how to get back, I had to towel him and succeeded in getting bitten, then he wrapped all eight toes around the door jambs of his cage because he did not want to go back in!, joy. :roll:
MissK

Post by MissK »

Sanjay must be part Cat........
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I think Billie is digging a tunnel, she gets onto the bottom of the cage and uses her feet to rip up paper, this morning l found a load or paper squares in her swimming pool and a large piece of paper cover and when l went to remove it she got very angry, tonight she was scrabbling away squeaking. WHAT IS GOING ON?
AJPeter
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

probably expecting a hard winter, lol!
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Many people Skyescrew, Ellieectrons, Missk, and Up in the air have told me it is hormonal behaviour and should be discouraged , so l put the grid back in the cage to stop Billie from getting down there.
AJPeter
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Seriously, they are right. But if Sanjay is a henny penny as I suspect he/she might be, I havent seen any signs like Billies.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

i think l triggered her sexual behaviuor by tickling her under her wing, giving too many neck scrahces, allowing her to rub herself against me and other bad things by too much light. Staying up late with the lights on.
AJPeter
MissK

Post by MissK »

Actually I don't really have much to say about the hormonal behaviour of females, myself excepted. My bird's a boy!
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Boys get hormonal Missk and they are worse than females.
Maybe the same circumstance for females are same for males
AJPeter