1st words today

We love to hear daily stories, ringneck antics, and more ringneck antics!

Moderator: Mods

Our baby

1st words today

Post by Our baby »

Gd morning my baby is 9 months old layin in bed i an my wife an our ringneck started sayin what you doing,goodmornin an hello it was so funny to hear his 1st words i feel so proud of him
My baby
Skyes_crew

Re: 1st words today

Post by Skyes_crew »

It's so exciting to hear their first words. You could sit there and listen to it all day :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Our baby

Post by Our baby »

Yes im so happy i played all day talkin with him i take him everywere with me an i am takening him to work with me a few days a week its so funny listen'in to him
My baby
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Aren't these birds the greatest little characters? My boyfriend takes ours to work too and Nila chatters away to customers.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Hey Claire...hamlet said his first three words just this morning. He said hello, thank you, and SKYLAR!!!! He literally yells Skylar :lol: he's already 6 months old. My baby is growing up too fast :(

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Awww, clever wee boy!
Nila is still trying different ways to say peekaboo! He has atleast 6 so far. He seems to be working on a new sentence, but we can't understand it yet....
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Peekaboo is skyes favorite word. She says it a bunch of ways, different tones, inflections. Sometimes she drags out the peeeeeeeekaboo. I have no doubt that will be hamlets next word lol. Ill try to record her the next time she gets into her talking mood. Usually by the time I grab the camera she's done. I don't think she trusts the camera. :D

I hope Nilas sentence is something that can be repeated :lol: I'm guessing the language can get pretty colorful at the auto shop :D

ranechild

Post by ranechild »

I was in another room at the time, but last weekend I'm half sure that Fats said peekaboo in the exact way our Quaker says it. Camo the QP was on my shoulder at the time, so I think I would have noticed if it was him. But it could have been just a squeak.
Oh they are so much fun!!!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I think the babies surrounded by other talking birds talk so quick. It's like having an English tutor for your baby bird :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Maybe Nila isn't very quick as far as talking, I've never heard him try any colourful words. A couple weeks ago we had a challenging afternoon, so there was ample opportunity for him to learn some choice phrases!
Nila does like words he's seen other parrots use on YouTube. I think it helps him pick them up.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

You think he didn't pick them up Claire lol. Then one day out of the blue, he's making a biker blush :lol:

Disco is the most over watched youtube bird in our house. I dream of disco, sometimes it's so bad. I already warned my kids if hamlet or Skye start singing mr. Roboto we have a problem. And I had to ask them to stop asking for everything with the words "I can Haz" prior to it. I can haz dinner...I can haz snack...I can haz TV time. It got extremely annoying. It's only cute when disco does it :wink:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Lol!
Dave and I Nila-speak to each other. It's rather embarrassing when we forget there are other people present..
Btw Nilas latest cutey thing is flying to the bathroom mirror and saying 'what are you doing?' to the birdy in there before boy dancing to it. He needs some pick up lines!
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Teach him to wolf whistle! :P
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

sanjays mummi wrote:Teach him to wolf whistle! :P
He likes to do that when I'm in the shower. I almost started showering in bathers! lol
He has also started flying off to the kitchen when he's hungry and whistling the way you would call a dog. He hasn't even had a dog around since we got him, the breeder had one though.
Atleast we know where we stand with him. I'm still waiting for him to say 'good human' when we are obedient.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

InTheAir wrote:Lol!
Dave and I Nila-speak to each other. It's rather embarrassing when we forget there are other people present..
Btw Nilas latest cutey thing is flying to the bathroom mirror and saying 'what are you doing?' to the birdy in there before boy dancing to it. He needs some pick up lines!
:lol: I can just imagine people's faces

Hmmmm....pick up lines...ill have to think of some :D

You think it's embarrassing having Nila whole whistle at you in the shower...try having a female bird do it. Skye does it to me. It's weird :lol:

ranechild

Post by ranechild »

So, question... When your birdy said his first words, were they clear?
Fats has started "talking" but we can only recognize phrases vaguely and by the intonation of the phrase.
Pretty sure I hear 'pretty bird' or 'pretty boy' yesterday. Kinda think I've heard "thank you"

but Fats makes really good kissy sounds now :) He'll even do it while touching his beak to my nose. then I tell him "you are such a good kisser!" That would be kinda a follow up to a pick up line...
MissK

Post by MissK »

I think he's going to get the inflection and cadence first. Keep working on the words, repeating them correctly when he says something. Don't want him to be like mine, where you hear something and say "Was that pretty bird?" a decade later!

-MissK
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

With hamlet I definitely heard the inflection first. He mumbled a lot to himself when he was sleeping too. This morning I was sitting with him and we just kept repeating words back and forth and they get clearer and clearer every day. He kisses my nose, I say thank you, then he says thank you. I cover his head and say where's hammy (his nickname) and when I uncover his head he says peekaboo now. In the morning I uncover skylar and when I say good morning skylar, hamlet yells SKYLAR!!! And he says what sounds like hello hammy. I hear the hello, but can't catch the second word too clearly. But all of his words started like more of a whistle mumble sound first. Like he was practicing. He's not shy though like skylar is. She won't talk if someone is watching. Hamlet will talk while sitting on my hand. It's cool :D just keep repeating to fats what you think he's saying and the words will get clearer.

MissK

Post by MissK »

I've also read that if the bird says or almost says the "wrong" thing, you can finesse it into something you want. Like if the bird says "shoebox" you might be able to massage it into "my blocks" or such. Thoughts?

-MissK
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

MissK wrote:I've also read that if the bird says or almost says the "wrong" thing, you can finesse it into something you want. Like if the bird says "shoebox" you might be able to massage it into "my blocks" or such. Thoughts?

-MissK
I hope so! That's my plan if Nila picks up any unsuitable words from the workshop!
Yes, Nila, truck.... good boy.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Ringneck cussing - "Get Plucked!"

-MissK
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

InTheAir wrote:
MissK wrote:I've also read that if the bird says or almost says the "wrong" thing, you can finesse it into something you want. Like if the bird says "shoebox" you might be able to massage it into "my blocks" or such. Thoughts?

-MissK
I hope so! That's my plan if Nila picks up any unsuitable words from the workshop!
Yes, Nila, truck.... good boy.
:lol: Truck :lol:

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

MissK wrote:Ringneck cussing - "Get Plucked!"

-MissK
Or....go pluck yourself :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Lol! Someone needs to make a parrot version of Simons cat.
Joycew

Post by Joycew »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I know this is n older thread but I loved reading about all the 'words" you can teach your IRN.. especially love the "go Pluck yourself" !!!! Not certain my daughter will agree, we have a highly impressionable soon to be 5 year old granddaughter! :oops: Tiki will be home tomorrow....can't wait!
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay talks quietly, so its easy to miss if you're not expecting it, but his toons are recognisable enough.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

One year on and Nila still doesn't cuss, if that's any comfort to you, Joyce. :D
He does make fart noises though, which most 5 year olds would appreciate :lol: I blame my boyfriend for that!
We even have a few conversations that actually make sense. We had a great one a little while ago that went like:
Nila: airrrr (his version of my name)
Me: yes, Nila?
N: What are you doing?
Me: Trying to read. What are you doing?
N: are you watching?
Me: yes, what is it *put down paper*
N: *Fart noise*

:lol: :lol:
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

InTheAir wrote:One year on and Nila still doesn't cuss, if that's any comfort to you, Joyce. :D
He does make fart noises though, which most 5 year olds would appreciate :lol: I blame my boyfriend for that!
We even have a few conversations that actually make sense. We had a great one a little while ago that went like:
Nila: airrrr (his version of my name)
Me: yes, Nila?
N: What are you doing?
Me: Trying to read. What are you doing?
N: are you watching?
Me: yes, what is it *put down paper*
N: *Fart noise*

:lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: I love it !!
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjays daddi would blow a balloon half way up, then squeeze the neck and let the air out, Sanjay has the sounds pitch perfect!, I blew a raspberry at him one day, and got it back from him a few days later, he is a brilliant imitator, but talking is much quieter for some reason.
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

In our Masterbedroom, the bathroom door squeaks something awful. I've asked my fiancee to WD-40 it, but he hasn't. The first thing I do iN the morning is go to the bathroom--and thus make the squeak.

So now, when Fats wants me to get up, he makes the squeak. Over and over and over again. It suits his intended purpose.

We REALLY need to oil that door!!!
lpmurdock831

Post by lpmurdock831 »

The good:
Snow has learned to imitate about 4 different versions of laughter: one from me, one from my flatmate, two from the radio. He's not shy about it either, so I get to show him off to my friends.

The bad: Let's just say I don't need a burglar alarm anymore. At least he hasn't figured out how to use it as an alarm clock... but maybe it's only a matter of time?