I couldn't resist

We love to hear daily stories, ringneck antics, and more ringneck antics!

Moderator: Mods

Ben.G

I couldn't resist

Post by Ben.G »

Ok so this morning I went to one of our local produce stores looking to buy some pellets for my IRN's.

I walked in and there he was sitting in the corner of the cage looking very scared, unlike the other several IRN that where in there with him screeching away. On closer inspection of him I noticed that he had no tail feathers and that was it I had to get him out of there.
so in short,$50 later and the pellets they didn't have, but the newest member of our flock they did. :P

oh I have a pic to post of him, if I can get some assistance with please.
Skyes_crew

Re: I couldn't resist

Post by Skyes_crew »

You can send it to me again lol :D do you need my email again?
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Ben.G

Post by Ben.G »

Hi all I have a few Q's

I have been watching him how he is interacting with my girls and they are chasing around a bit. The only time they get close is when there is food involved. He will go and steel apple from one of the girls and when he does this, she will drop her head and cluck.

Is this normal behavior when a male is introduced?
is this the start of a bond, as the female in question has been spending a lot of time investigating the nesting box?
Can anyone tell me how old he may be, also is he old enough to breed this season?
Ben.G

Post by Ben.G »

Skyes_crew wrote:You can send it to me again lol :D do you need my email again?
Pic sent :)
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Here you go Ben. He's a cutie. I have a soft spot for blue's

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

He looks to be just past his first big molt. So maybe 18 months?

He is not too young to breed but typically won't know what to do until he's on his 2 breeding season. Try pairing him with an older experienced hen. But don't be upset if they don't give results till next year :D

Ben.G

Post by Ben.G »

Skyes_crew wrote:He looks to be just past his first big molt. So maybe 18 months?
Could this be the reason for the lack of tail?
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Yes indeed!! Mine is without his two long tail feathers at the moment :)

Ben.G

Post by Ben.G »

I am not too familiar with IRN colours and the mutations can someone tell me why he has patches of grey masking the blue?
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Btw, judging by that picture, that bird is not necessarily a male. That's not a full ring. Females get a light ring like that. Since he's not yet 2, he could be a boy. The ring may come through next moult. Have you had any testing done?

The throwing head back and clucking is female mating behaviour.

Ellie.
Ben.G

Post by Ben.G »

No Ellie I Just got him, I felt sorry for him :(
I got him from a large produce shop, he was in a small cage with 7 other IRN's huddled in a corner.
Not sure where I can get the test done around here? (Lockyer Valley)

One of the hens I have was clucking at him when he stole some apple from he though, if that meant anything?

Oh could you have a look ay my other post about the mix I found and let me know what you think of it please. :)
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

He's a normal blue. The older my blue gets the less grey he has but that is normal for them to appear grayish in some areas. If you notice the structure of the feather in those areas, the shaft is is a dark grey color.

Your hens may be displaying for him (ie. tilting head back and clucking) because breeding season is approaching for you and they are around a male now. That is very normal behavior.

Ellie...he was saying his females were clucking since the male was introduced. BTW, totally off topic but when did janey start exhibiting nesting behavior? And what were those behaviors? I have a friend with a "female" (she thinks) and her bird has no female behaviors except sometimes the bird will get into where she stores shavings and toss the shavings around. I'm not all that familiar with female IRN's so I told her I would ask. Her bird is about 18 months old. Thanks :)

ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Skyes_crew wrote: Ellie...he was saying his females were clucking since the male was introduced. BTW, totally off topic but when did janey start exhibiting nesting behavior? And what were those behaviors? I have a friend with a "female" (she thinks) and her bird has no female behaviors except sometimes the bird will get into where she stores shavings and toss the shavings around. I'm not all that familiar with female IRN's so I told her I would ask. Her bird is about 18 months old. Thanks :)
I agree that the behaviour indicates he could be male... Just wanted to point put that he might not be male.

Janey has always showed some interest in dark places. On my YouTube Channel I've got pics of her trying to get in a small box but full-on nesting behaviour started last year just before her third birthday. My understanding is that females don't have to display nesting behaviour (unless of course you want to breed them). Removing/reducing fatty and sugary foods from diet, not developing a pair bond (with bird or human) and not having access to a nesting space can help prevent these behaviours.

Ellie
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Ben,

There used to be an extremely reputable avian vet in Toowoomba. When I tried to look him up a year or so ago, he had moved to Gatton (I think was based at UQ there). I'll see if I can find out more for you.

Ellie.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Here is the vet:
http://www.uq.edu.au/vetschool/index.ht ... plate=4098

If you want the sexing done, he would either do it or advise on how to do it. You can either do DNA or surgical sexing. I've never done it but I think DNA sexing is done via mail. They send you a kit and you send in the sample. Surgical sexing requires an anaesthetic.

Ellie.
Ben.G

Post by Ben.G »

WOW I might just wait I think it would be kinder on the bird. I'm not in that much of a rush for a definitive answer.
Thanks though :)
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

HI All
You can do DNA Sexing from feathers as well, i've just done one recently, and i got response in email very fast.

http://www.dnasexing.com.au/

83IV
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Thanks Ellie :)

Ben, I did the DNA by mail and it was quick and not invasive at all. Just a few chest feathers. :)

Ben.G

Post by Ben.G »

:P :P :P :P :P :P happy to announce he is in fact a he..... He paired up with one of my yellow hens they bought out three chicks, though :cry: sadly one died in the first week and another at four weeks. I couldn't help myself I had to take the lonely surviving chick out :oops: . the kids have named it skittles and it is now ten weeks old and we are starting the weaning process :o and someone has also found there wings. pics soon