Hi from Queensland's Sunny Coast

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

muz

Hi from Queensland's Sunny Coast

Post by muz »

We just picked up our first baby IRN last Saturday. He's now 6 weeks old and we're hand feeding the gorgeous, ugly little fella. I can't believe how much he's grown in only 6 days. It's feathers are really starting to come out now and he's gonna be a nice teal colour, we think.

I had a Sulphur Crested Cockatoo what seems a lifetime ago. What a wonderful friend she was. Hated women though, and most guys too, for that matter. I seem to have an affinity with birds and my daughter looks like she's inherited this from me.

We were meant to get an IRN - now I know it. When my wife and daughter came home one day proclaiming that they were going to get one, I had never heard of them. They'd met a nice blue one in town and the owner's sister was a hobby breeder south of Brisbane. So we arranged to buy one on our return from holidays on Stradbroke Island.

While we were camping on Straddie, one of the camping families actually had an albino IRN in their tent. 2 weeks ago, I'd never heard of IRNs and here was one in our campsite. My daughter asked if she could hold it but the owners said "Pippi doesn't like children. She won't even let our 6yo daughter touch her".

Now Katie wasn't going to take this lying down and persisted, and the owner reluctantly and cautiously put Pippi on Katie's arm and it was like they were best buddies.

"Well, I've never seen that. Katie is the first child that Pippi's allowed to handle her" said the owner.

My 7yo son Nik was disappointed that he couldn't hold him. By this time Pippi was on my forearm and I was standing in front of Nik.

Nik said grumpily "Why can't I hold him?" and right then, Pippi flew off my arm and landed on Nik's chest and with much flapping of wings, walked up to his shoulder. The shocked grin on his face was priceless.

Pippi's owners were gobsmacked. 2 kids within 2 minutes

They invited my kids over to play with Pippi whenever they wanted.

Made me think we were meant to own an IRN.
Last edited by muz on Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
muz

Re: Hi from Queensland's Sunny Coast

Post by muz »

Oh, I forgot to tell you, we named him 'Merlin', making a huge assumption that he's a he. (50/50?) The following photos were taken 3 days ago. He's already grown a lot.

Last edited by muz on Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

Congrats on your new baby :!: He is very cute
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Oh just look at Merlin tuck into his food! Little piggy :lol:

Yes I agree, you were destined to own a ringy....all the signs were there lol.

Oh, welcome to the forum by the way. :)
muz

Post by muz »

Thank you both.

BTW, I've posted a question regarding handling him in this thread if anyone with experience with baby IRNs could help.
bec

Post by bec »

"he is so cute & if it helps i knew a lady named merlin she was my daughters grade 3 teacher
Shane7285

Post by Shane7285 »

Hi there and welcome.

Where on the sunny coast are you from? I'm in maroochydore. I'm also new to ringnecks and I'm due to get my baby boy in a couple of weeks, it also happens that he is a blue.

Anyway, have a search around this place has some great info!!! I've learnt a lot from it.

Shane
muz

Post by muz »

That's great news Bec. We're relieved that we won't have to 'maybe' change his/her name later.

Shane, We're just west of Peregian Beach. I assumed from your other post that you already had your baby? Looking forward to seeing some pics when you get him/her.
TD

Post by TD »

Welcome Muz, great pics!
muz

Wow! What a difference a week makes

Post by muz »

Here he is on the day we brought him home, (first and last time we used the syringe, btw.)

... and here he is today. The colour of his feathers in this photo is pretty accurate too.

He's already showing a lot of character and has begun investigating new food like broccoli, kiwi flesh and sugar snaps. The 'tiel we bought on the same day, a week older and a 'proper bird' (almost flully fledged) isn't interested in anything but seed and pellets.
Shane7285

Post by Shane7285 »

hey muz

looking good. I got some photos of my little guy from the breeder from the day they hatched, and he went through the same process and looks to the the same colouring. I got some more photo's yesterday and he looked like your about 3 weeks ago I think, now he's fully feathered so it happens pretty fast.

Shane
muz

Getting to know his 'big' brother.

Post by muz »

Here he is tonight, getting to know his 'big' brother.
What do you think he's saying???
bec

Post by bec »

i think hes saying back off!!!!!!
its my food!!!!!
that pic is just sooo sweet !!!!
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Welcome muz :o . Good luck with Merlin :D .