Hello from London

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

lucky

Hello from London

Post by lucky »

Hi Every one :D I have just adopted an IRN on Sunday 17th of August. It’s a very unique lacewing ringneck with 3 colours. Neck is all white, tail and border of wing is turquoise and rest of the body is light blue. Sex of the bird is not known but I’m assuming he’s a male. I have been told by the previous owner that he’s 16 weeks old although he looks older to me. The bird is very terrified and I believe it’s because his wings were clipped in-appropriately by the previous owner.
For first couple of days he did not even look at me or any member of my family and didn’t squeak at all. He’s now making slow progress and letting us come close to his cage but still 2 feets away. If I go any closer he will freak-out and flap his wings so I quickly move back as I’m scared he might hurt himself (only at the time of chaning his water and food I go close). He now squeaks few times a day, and couple of days back he mumbled while watching TV (I was in the room swell). It obviously made me very happy as I took this as a sign that he’s settling down but he still doesn’t let me go close to his cage.
I’m not completely new to IRN as I used to hand reared baby birds my self but that was almost 12 years ago and also I never had "grown up" parrot before so I would really appreciate if some one could help me with following few questions,
Should I let him out of his cage now or should I wait for him to get used to me before I open his cage and let him out?
Also he’s not eating any fruit or vegetable at all and only likes eating his seeds so I don’t know what should I give him as a treat to make him more affectionate towards me?
Last question is that he moves left and right (very fast) in his cage some times in day, does that mean anything??

I will really appreciate if someone could reply.
Regards.
bec

Post by bec »

hi lucky
welcome! your bird sounds beautiful!!!
for advice on treats to give him look at the posts in diet & housing
for getting him used to you place his cage somewhere he can watch
you do things (near computor or you tv chair ar good ones when you arnt focused on him you will gett his attention &natural curiousity kicks in
i used brocolli & popcorn as my rewards for comming over to me & during flyout time i eat foods that are ok for the irns to "share"(otherwise known as bird stealing food) seeing you eat for some reason calms them down & they come closer to see if you will "share"
when you aproach the cage & he freaks just stop right where you are dont back off just talk calmly to him till he calms
your are doing well it will take time but with patience you will get there
and of course with such a georgeous sounding bird
we want to see pics!!!!
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

Your ringie sounds beautiful indeed!

Bec has offered you great advice. Good luck! Pictures please?? :D
lucky

Post by lucky »

Thanks Bec and Skybaby. I will definitely post some photos once he lets me come close to the cage or once he starts coming out so I could have good pose. I gave him watermelon yesterday and he seems to like it but after few bites it fall down from his bowl to the base of cage and he did not get down to eat it(attitude I guess), but that gave some assurance that he will start eating fruits and veggies soon. I will try "popcorn" and broccoli too and check the diet section of this site. I have to say this forum is excellent and people like you have really made it worth joining with all the useful articles and advice. I will keep you guise posted with update. Thanks