Hello all, just got my very first ringneck

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

AnthonyN

Hello all, just got my very first ringneck

Post by AnthonyN »

Hello all, just got my very first BLUE Indian Ringneck, and am happy to join your community. I'm here to obviously seek advice and such. Anyways, about my birdy, He's well a he and is just about 3 months old (just weaned) I brought him home thursday and have been doing my best to give him food and such. I've been also trying to get him to play with me since he doesn't seem very scared of me even on his first day.

But, today he seemed to be a much more scared then he was before, i can understand this since i basically had him for only 3 days :D but would just like to clarify some things. Whenever I get him away from his cage for his daily little playing session with me he something or most of the time trys to fly back to his cage, I'm guesing that'll go away? Also he bites enough, which I'm also guessing will go away once he trusts me?

Finally to wrap it up, he's very cute little lacewinged bird and I hope I can build a long lasting bond between him and I with your guys help :)

Oh, also is it possible to play with them and make them dislike you? Like if you try to keep them from getting away from you?

Also, I'm trying to decide on a name please list some names you'd think would be nice for him. I'll post a pick of him later today.
julie

Post by julie »

Hi and welcome 8) do you have any favorite tv shows or games ect to pick a name from? is the new baby clipped?
I would highly recommend training with food, when you get him out have a treat where you are taking him so he thinks you are ok.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Welcome to the family darlin. Talk to him alot, especially when you do things like making him step up, or putting him into his cage. As Julie says, reward him for good behaviour and place him away with bad behaviour.

I will wait till I see pics of him before I suggest any names. something will come as you get to know his peronality.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

AnthonyN

Post by AnthonyN »

Heres a couple pics of my bundle of joy

CalamariBaby

Post by CalamariBaby »

He is a pretty little guy.
I got my baby @ 2 months old and I've had him for about 2 months. I have a cage that the top opens and he likes to sit on top. I'd say the first month he always wanted to get back to his cage. So I just let him go when he has had enough. about 3 weeks ago I noticed he would lean to the bookshelf and try to steal stuff off it. I figure he is getting bored up there. Now he climbs down and has been wandering all over the house or chasing the dog (a big dog). I can't get away from him. I'll be standing in my room catching 2 minutes of a show and I will feel him come and stand on my feet.
I say when your guy gets anxious just let him go back to his cage. He's gonna get over it and become your little shadow before you know it.

Oh .... welcome glad to have you here and love the pics.
Allie
julie

Post by julie »

He is very cute 8) did you say in your post hes a lacewing?
AnthonyN

Post by AnthonyN »

yes he is
eggy

Post by eggy »

i think... zuli (zoo-lee) or zola (zow-la).
somethong with z
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART?
floridamedgirl

Post by floridamedgirl »

he is super cute! looks alot like my Wally (5 months old). Ive found that treating them with a raisin or two can combat them always wanting to go to the cage. I only use raisins as a sparse treat though because of the sugar in it.

Give him a reason to want to be around you. He will lower his guard and live a little if there are treats involved!

Are you sure he is a male?

Also, he is biting you to test his boundaries. He is trying to see what he can get away with and what evokes a response from you. Completely ignore the bites.. even if you have to turn your head and make a face so he cant see it. After he learns that you arent easily scared away he will stop biting mostly.
Jess
"Wally" IRN Male DOH 3/8/09
AnthonyN

Post by AnthonyN »

Yes, he was DNA tested male. His DOB is 3/23/09. Also what are good treats to give them? You said raisins but sparingly. Also what if he never wants to be around me? Everytime I take him away from his cage he either will fly to his cage or walk away (haha) and when I got him last week on Friday he was coming on my hand right away with any hassle, I think he may of just been scared and went with the flow. But now he waddles side to side dodging my finger :( and the ppl I bought him from gave me a bag of ZuPreem pellets and a bag mixed with seed and stuff, they said to give him 60% pellets and 40% seed. They said the seed was so he would start eating and that I should decrease the amount sparingly. but I don't even know what 60/40 really means when I'm measuring his food so I give him 1/4 cup of pellets and a small amount of seed. I'm worried though because it seems to be he eats the seed more than pellets and most of the pellets are still in his bowl. Please help me get a good start with my new bird, maybe a guideline what to start doing and when? Help :)
AnthonyN

Post by AnthonyN »

Also, is his date of birth different than his date of hatch? Because hey said he was just weaned last Friday but he's born 23rd of march? And I named him Rajah (raaz-a) Raj for short, it means king in Indian. Like I said before please help me by maybe giving me a guideline of what to do or something
floridamedgirl

Post by floridamedgirl »

date of birth/hatch is the same thing.. the day he emerged/born from his shell.

Treats... I try to give small items so he doesnt get too distracted.

*Almonds/nuts,
*sunflower seed,
*raisins,
*cherri-o's cereal or something similar (bran cereals/not sugary)
*piece of a hard breadstick (bread aisle of the store has them.. they are like 3" long and usually come in sesame, garlic, plain etc..)
*popcorn - unlsalted/unbuttered
* small amounts of millet

experiment with your bird to see what tickles his taste buds. This is also a good bonding/trust building time.

As far as the pellets/seeds situation, just try to give him a scoop of pellets and just a small handful of seed and kind of mix it in the pellets... the idea is to kind of wean him off the seed, and onto pellets. I usually put about 3/4 pellet and 1/4 seed.. just enough to get him over to the bowl. He still pretty much just picks out the seeds and leaves the pellets, but sometimes he will go over there and eat pellets.

Also, try Harrisons pellets- they have one made with hot cheyenne pepper and since birds like hot stuff, some say it makes the transition from seed to pellet easier for the bird. My Wally isnt really fond of any pellet... zupreem or harrisons.

I base my baby's diet on two feedings of fresh foods daily and I just keep a bowl on the other side of the cage, and also on his playtop.. filled with dry foods(pellet and seed). Its just kind of there for backup... he starts to call out to us when he is hungry, because he wants fresh foods.

what fresh foods are you offering him.. and how often?
AnthonyN

Post by AnthonyN »

I boil some mixed veggies ( corn, carrot, peas) daily usually, and if I switched him to harrison would I have to transition him to it? or will he eat it immediatley?
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

surfing around for name ideas on the net, just throwing some unusual ones out there. As he was brought home on a thursday what about;

The Urdu name for Thursday is Jumeraate (eve of Friday).

hmm wonder how that would be pronounced :?

or

As Thursday was historically named after the God "Thor"

Thursday: Italian giovedì, Spanish jueves, French jeudi, Catalan dijous, and Romanian joi.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

floridamedgirl

Post by floridamedgirl »

maybe an indian name? I mean hes an INDIAN ringneck!

check this site it tells names and meaning
http://www.indianhindunames.com/indian- ... name-s.htm

Sami = someone dear to you
Raajeev = blue lotus, one who rules all
Mitali = friend
Birju = Nice Singer

I like egyptian names too, they sound great and have meaning

check this site
http://www.mybirthcare.com/favorites/pg ... -names.asp

good luck!
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hi AnthonyN, welcome :)

Your little boy looks very sweet. Congrats on getting him :)