hi from NewZealand

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

zoerat

hi from NewZealand

Post by zoerat »

Hi everybody, i have just got myself a IRN he wasn't hand reared but is only this seasons chick so isnt very old. I have had him/her (all tho ive gotten into the habbit of saying good boy to him) for just 2 weeks Monday. And have named him Mango. Hes very slowly getting used to me.still scared tho, no eating out of hand or anything like that yet, closet im alowed is next to his cage, but have started putting my hand in or awhile and hes not flying madly about but i was wondering if i should wait to let him out of his cage, untill he is a bit calmer,i just know they need excersize, but i dont want to stress him and set the trust back also his wings are not clipped
Jarryd.c

Post by Jarryd.c »

hey there, welcome
you seem to have a similar case to mine when i got her, i just persisted for 15-20 mins at a time through out the day getting her use to hands coming in the cage, clipped the wings as well so that when flying, she didnt crash too hard. seemed to work for me, however everyone has different techniques which you will no doubt find out :)
zoerat

Post by zoerat »

thank-you..yes im seriously thinking of doing the wing clip, its hard to realy know what to do i hate the thought of stressing im out.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Welcome to the site and family

I too think that clipping the wings would be a good idea. Get it over and done with, the little bit of stress it may cause will be forgotten very quickly.

You can then work from there, leaving the cage open for him/her to climb around and out.

It will be less likely that s/he will fly about the cage or even the room in fear of you. And I am sure you will find it will be so much easier to interract and tame him/her once the wings are done.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

zoerat

Post by zoerat »

ok, illlook into it tomorrow. 1 other thing. i have not handled mango at all and im guessing he will bite me. should i use a towel to hold him or gloves?
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

In my opinion toweling seems to be the better option, as gloves look so much like big scary hands, I believe it can give them a complex about hands and you don't want that. Toweling is a softer option for the bird and the towel is the object that threatens them not your hands.

Just my opinion though
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless