Introducing, Penelope (Blue Lacewing/Pallid Female IRN)

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

j0hnny

Introducing, Penelope (Blue Lacewing/Pallid Female IRN)

Post by j0hnny »

Hi all,

My name is Johnny, and I'm almost the proud owner of a baby blue lacewing (pallid) female Indian Ring Neck Parakeet named Penelope. She is just over 8 weeks old, and will be coming home in the next couple weeks, when she's weened. She looks like a little blue Bald Eagle in person.

I'm a new bird owner, so I'll have a ton of questions for you professionals here, in due time. For now, my biggest concern is that of week one. I'd like to make the transition to her new home as smooth and stress free as possible. I already understand that it's going to be a stressful change for her, but I'd like to minimize the impact.

What should my focus be for the first day or two? How about the first week or two? Please include the rationale behind your answers, so I can make informed decisions.

Thank you, I look forward to getting to know all of you better,
Johnny

Hatched 5/10/2009

At about 5-6 weeks

About 7 weeks, with my son, Parker.

About 7 weeks, with my son Parker.
Johnny
skittles

how pretty

Post by skittles »

I am a new owner myself, so I don't know how much help I would be, myself, I just focused on getting Skittles used to me and her home.
Your new baby is a cuty!
Skittles and her mommy
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

oh wow she's beautiful!! I love that color!!

Post by Loading... »

Welcome, and congratulations on your first irn.

:oops: ... I'm new here too.
j0hnny

Post by j0hnny »

Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments.

Is there any advice regarding leaving her in the cage for the first couple days? Should I leave the door open for her, or not even give her the option to get out yet? Do I interact and socialize with her right away, or literally just keep her in the cage, and go about my regular business, until she's settled in? Do I provide snacks as a peace offering?

Thank you,
Johnny
Johnny
skittles

get her used to you

Post by skittles »

Right from the beginning, I started getting Skittles out to spend time with me, in fact, everyone in my family spends time with her, so she will get used to us. That is what the breeder told us to do. Of course, I am new to this, could be I am doing it all wrong, but Skittles totally loves us all now.
Skittles and her mommy
Jarryd.c

Post by Jarryd.c »

I did the same with gazer, let her fly around abit, then handled her straight away
bec

Post by bec »

and snacks as a peace offering ....the best wat to any irns heart!!!!
beautiful bird by the way!!!
lewi111

Post by lewi111 »

Welcome !!!!! She is a beautiful girl.Exactly like my Jilly.Sadly she passed away last sunday week.
Mjay

Post by Mjay »

She's Beautiful :D
I want one :D
MJAY
bec

Post by bec »

Mjay wrote:She's Beautiful :D
I want one :D
so true!!
me too!!
but first more avairies
so i have a place to put the birdies!!!
LAAnnie

Post by LAAnnie »

GORGEOUS! What a fantastic color. Looks like you are already well on the way to taming your birds - it's easier when you hand raise them yourself.

The most important thing is FOOD and nutrition, especially when they are growing. Have lots of variety early on, so they get used to eating the right stuff, not just seed. Seed should only be a portion of their diet.

Vitamin A, calcium and protein are crucial. From food, not from supplements.

Vitamin A: carrots, mango, anything yellow or orange like yams, pumpkin, etc. Spinach also good. Raw or cooked ok.

Calcium: harder to get in foods -- almonds are good; hard boiled eggs & ground eggshells mixed in a bit of yogurt is good. Mine likes yogurt.

Protein: edamame (soybean) steamed for 2 minutes -- my bird's favorite. Yogurt, even small amounts of cooked chicken or cheese.

Lots of fruit & raw veggies are a must. Corn, apples, grapes (not too much), anything they will eat.

Besides the fresh foods, they also like cooked pasta and rice (so if you are eating it, just give them a bit -- they love to share food with you).

Nuts & seeds: go easy. Nutriberries are great; keep them available in the food dish for snacks. Almonds are the best nuts. Raw, not salted.