Brand new owner of a baby ringneck

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

3tiels&aringneck

Brand new owner of a baby ringneck

Post by 3tiels&aringneck »

Hi,
I'm Wendy and I just put a deposit on a baby ringneck (4 weeks old). I currently have 3 cockatiels in my flock that are 9 weeks old. I found out about Indian Ringnecks and it sounded like a bird my family and I could enjoy having in our family.

I was hoping someone could give me some suggstions on what type of food to feed along with fruits and vegetables, i.e. parakeet (budgie) seeds. Is there a specific seed/pellet mix I need to give them. :?: Since the baby is not with me yet, I have a few weeks to make sure I have everything together.

I look forward to being part of the this site.

Wendy
Image Bullet
Image mikey (white) and joey (blue)
SarahandEco

Post by SarahandEco »

Since there aren't mixes specifically for IRNs, the closest mixes to a ringneck's natural diet would be a cockatiel mix. And since you already have those, just give them the same food. An all pellet or all seed diet is bad for birds (seed is mostly fat, and pellet can cause vitamin overdose) so it is best to offer both seed and pellet diet or to rotate them every few days. Fresh fruits and veggies are big in my birds' diets as well as many others. It would be a good idea to offer them as much as possible. Good luck with your new baby!

3tiels&aringneck

thanks

Post by 3tiels&aringneck »

Thanks SarahandEco. I have done a lot of research but nowhere did it ever really mention the type of seed.
Image Bullet
Image mikey (white) and joey (blue)