new to IRNs and the site :)

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

cennis2552

new to IRNs and the site :)

Post by cennis2552 »

hi my name is cassie and about 2 hours ago i aquired an IRN. i was told he was tame outside his cage and i think i was lied to! he was ok once i got him onto another perch, but he had tried to bite me so many times i got scared and put him back on his cage :(
i know i must have patience and the site has been wonderful for advice, just wondered if they are always this territorial or is it just him.
havn't decided on a name yet either but suggestions are welcome :)
thanks, good to find a site where people know their stuff!
cassie
_Lady_Flame_

Post by _Lady_Flame_ »

Hey Cassie. I had the same problems. Once it went so far that he started to attack me, flying into my face and attacking me, when i wanted to clean his cage...maybe he thought ill take him everything away. and it also happend with the food when he was outside and i wanted to give hime fresh food.

well dont worry maybe he is just bluffing like mine did from the start when he just wanted to bite and his eyes spinned.

How old is your IRN? mine is just 10 months old and i think its a male because he started to dance around things whit a bit opened wings and this weird sounds :D
cennis2552

Post by cennis2552 »

dewey i think i'll call him is 4 years old, so not a baby anymore. i thought about the bluffing when i read it and think he might be a bit old for it but i don't know. is it something they do only as babies? i did manage to get him on a perch away from the cage and he let me pet him a little. he wanted to go up my shoulder and i got scared and put him back on his cage haha.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

It is a common thing for them to be protective of their cage. My handraised totally tame IRN I have had for years still lunges at me sometimes when I try to get him from his cage, I usually let them venture out onto the open door first then step them up. They also lunge at times when I place the food bowls in. so I get them out of the cage before I change food and water and especially when I clean.

They don't do it all the time, these birds have moods, good and bad days.

Also note that you say you only just got your bird. It will take a while for him to settle into new surroundings. Give him some time to get use to his new home and his new owner. :)

Welcome to the family
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless