New to the IRN world

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Nafito

New to the IRN world

Post by Nafito »

hey all im from Syd, Aust, just got my 1st IRN yesterday afternoon from my girlfriend's dad (i have made 2 posts need some serious help) the bird is unnammed (cnt think of anything to call it need help on that 1 as well :P) its a female its about a 1.5 years old, she is very angry and aggresive, need serious help, u will find my posts in Miscellaneous Comments/Questions and in IRNs Behavior & Taming.

Please help any1 some1 i want to give this IRN a better and nicer life then wat it had a little brake down in its life.

1. girlfriends brother bought it had it in his room in the cage for approx 2 - 3 weeks got sick of it dnt no why he put it in his dads bird aviary.

2. IRN killed a few of the dads cockatiel and budgies (latest was last weekend)

3. has never had any1 real one on one with a person and never really cared for some wat miss treated

im hoping for a nice bird that will whistle or even talk (fingers crossed but it may not due to never been really cared for or spoken too), it used to squawk when in the bird aviary but since at my house hasnt even made a slight sound moves her mouth but nothing more. wen putting her in the cage it did bite me braking skin on my finger. i need help
Mjay

Post by Mjay »

Hi Nafito :D
It's great that you have this girl now, it will take a long time to gain her trust and alot of patience from you :? there are other threads in here you should take a look at as there is heaps of info, i suggest,(as other people have in other threads) to take the time every day to sit near her cage and talk to her softly, offer treats through the cage (she may not take it out of your hand for a while), this may take some time as i have an parent raised male (got him 1 month after fledging) i have had him for a few months now and i still have alot of work to do, just recently he has taken apple through the cage from me (twice now) he has his wings clipped and is very slowly gaining my trust! i think having my other 2 inside has helped as he see's me interact with them, i am sure someone else will have more tips/advice for you, Good Luck, and make sure you post some pic's :D
MJAY
Nafito

Post by Nafito »

thanks mjay, like i said i got her yesterday afternoon and she didnt like the idea of me near the cage would go to the other side but just got back from work and gave her some apple and grapes she hasn't really touched them but some what has a lick of them (she was never given fruit before never treated like a IRN in anyway) but she is allowing me to get close to the cage and allowing me to touch her feet, i think this is a big improvement and a big step foward in the right direction, i hope so anyway.

thanks for the idea's and tips and the vote of confidence
Mjay

Post by Mjay »

Thats great that she will let you touch her feet! my guy Asha is taking alot longer than i thought :shock: when i first got him he would do the same and get as far away from me as possible in the cage and go nuts! (it probly is a big shock to come from a roomy aviary to a cage indoors)
hopefully she will start eating the fruit, she is probly wondering "what the heck is that stuff" but i am sure she will absolutly love it once she tries it, my guys love apple and basically anything they can get their claws on lol! (even non food items such as my ipod, straws ect....lol)

:lol: :lol:
What colour is she ?
Keep us updated with your progress :D
by the way, i started out with one last year, now i have 7 LOL
(3 indoors and 2 breeding pairs outdoors!) it's addictive :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MJAY
Nafito

Post by Nafito »

i went out yesterday to get her wings clipped so she can wonder around the floor in the living room, but i think taking her to the vet to get it done took me a few steps back with the trust, but she is taking to fruit i got a fruit stick (u puch the fruit onto it and hang it in the cage) she puts her beak up to the apple and grapes (all i tried so far) but wont eat them wen im around but once im away for abit she will start to eat them so she is taking to fruit just nicely but she is a shy one.

ill be posting some pics up today that i took of her while in the cage be sure to check them out, thanks again MJay
Mjay

Post by Mjay »

Getting her wings done will help alot, she will get over it! i was worried about doing mine,(i done it myself) but the still love me LOL
MJAY
Deano

Post by Deano »

I found with getting the wings clipped on my irn helped a lot also, not so much in their cage but when they are out they tend to rely on you a lot more and will readly hop on your finger etc, being out of their cage is like being out of their safety zone if you want to call it that so they tend to be more sooky or have more trust in you , thats what i found anyway.

though mine was handraised but after starting to fly, once out of the cage it was like a cat and mouse game to catch him, wing clipping did settle him down

good luck with it all an keep up the work its worth it
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hi Nafito.

I agree, clipping seems to make birds more dependent on you. So when she has gotten over her pride she should be a bit easier to handle.

I believe the best way to a ringies heart is through food....and love of course. :)

Last year I had young birds that I raised who refused to go back into the cage. After trying various methods, I finally tried it with food. I removed their fav food from their daily diet and only offered it to them when they went back into the cage. Took a couple of goes but in the end they were fine going back to get their treat. :)

I would keep trying with fruit and veg. She should eventually eat it. I have found corn is a hit, as is peas, apples, pears, oranges, grapes, capsicum, carrots, brocoli, cauliflower, the list goes on. A few of my birds I don't think were fed fruit/veg before I got them, but now when it is vegie snack time in the afternoon, should here the rucus! I am sure the neighbours are impressed! lol.

Another thing you could try to get her in the habit of eating veggies, is to offer soaked/sprouted seed. Still looks like seed to the bird but once it has sprouted it turns nutritionally into a vegie.

Very easy to do. I think there is a thread somewhere here on how to do it. :)

Good luck and keep us updated on her progress. :)