Hello

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

sherry

Hello

Post by sherry »

Hello, I just adopted a full-grown lutino Indian Ringed-Neck. He is a beautiful bird. I am glad I found this sight since there is little to no information about these birds. He is not hand-tamed, but responds to my face. If there are any suggestions in hand-taming an older Ringed-Neck and getting him to bond I will appreciate any advice. 8)
Janet

Lutinos

Post by Janet »

Hi, I have two Lutinos and I love them!! Mine were hand reared when I got them. They were only a few months old. I have heard that you can teach old birds new tricks. Patience is the key. Offer your bird food and toys between your fingers. Keep talking to your bird. I have a green IRN who had panic attacks (bird style) whenever I went near her but she now comes up to greet me and is happy to sit on me and chat. I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from your bird. They are the funniest characters!
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Welcome to the family.. the easiest way to learn is to use the search function at the top of the forum to search for key works, like taming, training, older bird etc.

I tamed an older blue named Kai .. it takes time, plenty of time, I am one for clipping the bird (both wings), they become very reliant on you and are easier to handle this way. Some have used the technique of wrapping the bird in a cloth and holding them this way to get them use to being with you. But the general idea is to try to interact with them often, each time you go near them, they flutter and are scared, you don't hurt them, the more they learn that you are not going to hurt them. Offering treats is a show of friendship, and after time they will become a part of you (the flock). Some have let intrigue coax the bird. Having the cage next to you in the room, talking to them and leaving the door open for them to venture out, eventually they want to come to see what you are doing. etc.

Interact every day, offer treats from the hand every day, talk to them every day, and remember this will probably take 6 + months for trust to be earned.

Cheers and good luck !
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

sherry

re: hello

Post by sherry »

Thank you so much for the advice. I did clip his wings and he does come to me with food. We named him Pacman, and he will venture out of his cage, but still afraid of the hand without food in it.
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

welcome here! I love the lutinos! post some pics!!